U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:29 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,125,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
All milk is dairy.

A cow's milk is designed for baby cows originally too...not us!

Any milk from any animal is dairy, which is why most baby animals can be nursed effectively by other breeds. Just because we walk around on two legs, doesn't make our milk "non-dairy"!
It's not "dairy" in terms of a vegan diet, in which no animal products are consumed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 07:29 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,301,431 times
Never mind. No point arguing about semantics. The question was asked, and answered.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Never mind. No point arguing about semantics. The question was asked, and answered.
Oh, good grief -- it's not "semantics."

Have you ever been a vegan mother? If not then, sorry, your opinion on whether *human breast milk* is "dairy" (and therefore not appropriate for a vegan diet) is irrelevent.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:50 PM

18,599 posts, read 23,156,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My nephew is 11 months old and he has started to eat solid foods as of 2 weeks ago. He was eating puree food that his mother makes herself, fruits, veggies, baby cereal. He recently started eating veggie burgers, and veggie sausage patties. My SIL is not a true vegetarian meaning she goes vegeterian & gluten free 3 times a year for a couple months then goes back to eating red meat and chicken and foods that have gluten in them. I don't understand that.Anyway they eat organic which I am all for. I was wondering if the baby should be getting chicken, Turkey, pork and red meats into his diet. Chicken can be easily chewed but pork and red meat are a bit harder to chew. He has 8 teeth so far.Is it ok to have an 11 month old eat vegan???? He eats fruits, veggies, potatoes, gluten free waffles too. They are new parents and I just want to make sure he gets the proper nutrition.
I would not be concerned.I'd be happy! My biological son did not eat food until one year. He has never eaten meat in his life. My daughter who was adopted has never eaten meat in her life as far as I know.

My son is now 18. He was raised Vegetarian and at 16 adopted a strict Vegan diet.

The relatives were all concerned that he'd be scrawny and weak. One suggested brain damage!
These are the facts - he graduated HS last week with honors. He is 6'2" and well built. He runs, hikes, skates, snowboards, and surfs. His complexion is clear. He attends university in the fall.

My daughter is adopted from an Asian country where people are not that tall. Unfortunately, I did not nurse her. She did not chose to be a vegan, but adheres to a vegetarian diet. She is 5'5" which for her ethnicity is tall, she has clear skin and silky hair. She is a gymnast and cheerleader. She is 16.

Neither child experienced the ear, nose or throat infections of their friends. They have no allergies.

I credit my daughters height with the fact that she has never eaten meat. Studies show that the hormones present in meat are causing an earlier onset of menarche in girls. After their first period girls grow on average 1 1/2 to 2" at best.

I would not worry about veggie burgers. Yes, they are processed, but they are not loaded with hormones, and they are a clean food. We do not live on veggie burgers but they are always in my freezer as are other meat analogs.

I worry about my nephews and nieces who are being raised on fast food and meat!

Chicken, and the specific hormones fed to it, is, according to a dermatologist and non veg acquaintance, is responsible for break outs and skin allergies. The only flesh food her teens eat is fish. Not farm raised.

Worry more about the fast food nation and the national epidemic of obesity in children.

I really think that your nephew is fine!

Old 06-17-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Oh, good grief -- it's not "semantics."

Have you ever been a vegan mother? If not then, sorry, your opinion on whether *human breast milk* is "dairy" (and therefore not appropriate for a vegan diet) is irrelevent.
Yes, it's irrelevent, which was WHY I deleted my post, and inserted that line saying to never mind. I meant - never mind what I had posted, and deleted, because I didn't want to argue semantics and ruin this thread, which wasn't about breastmilk or breastfeeding at all, and I didn't want to further derail it.

And so - I edited around 2 paragraphs of text, and since I couldn't delete my post, I inserted that line saying to never mind.

So please - never mind.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:58 PM

I am -still- concerned about the OP saying that the baby's mother is feeding him veggieburgers, because of the high sodium content in commercial veggie burgers.

I haven't seen that addressed yet.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I am -still- concerned about the OP saying that the baby's mother is feeding him veggieburgers, because of the high sodium content in commercial veggie burgers.

I've said -- twice -- to consult with a pediatrician about the child's diet. I think that fairly well addresses your concern.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I think any sort of extreme diet is a worry.

Veganism is definitely extreme and should really only be a personal choice...your baby is not old enough to choose.

I don't even like vegetarianism (my daughter is one) - most people don't realise that there are certain cancers that are more prevalent in vegetarians. Linda McCartney anyone?

I'd really like to see more study done, but in the meantime, don't inflict your extremism on a growing baby!
Vegetarianism is not an "extreme diet", by any standard today.

Linda Mc Cartney. Linda is one person. And she wrote some wonderful cookbooks and was a devoted mother. I think that dragging out the one vegetarian celeb who passed from cancer does not constitute a study on any level.

Just in my family, my mother and two aunts died prematurely of cancer.

Look at people today. Obesity is an epidemic. First onset of the menstrual cycle in girls is earlier. ( more ovulation more reproductive cancer) Look and read.

Most people are at least cutting down on meat.

And BEEF? It's NOT "what's for dinner" in most American homes on any given night.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:

See and me? I'd be concerned with Happy Meals! Even once a week.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 PM

5,340 posts, read 8,015,835 times
Quote:
All milk is dairy.

A cow's milk is designed for baby cows originally too...not us!

Any milk from any animal is dairy, which is why most baby animals can be nursed effectively by other breeds. Just because we walk around on two legs, doesn't make our milk "non-dairy"!
Cow's milk is still designed for baby cows. Not us.

Cow's milk isn't even healthy for babies, that is why it is processes into baby formula.

Human breastmilk is designed for human babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food