U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:29 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,258,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Actually, Seventh Day Adventists lead very healthy lives. When I first got into the health care field numerous research studies used them as the model because the average SDA had a longer lifespan by 7 to 11 years than the average American. The mosy recent study I have seen still gives them a 4 to 7 year advantage, and that was in 2005.

But as you said, best to consult the doctor. I think most pediatricians would be thrilled with a vegan diet rather than the junk food, fast food and sugary food most kids consume.

Seventh Day Adventists are very healthy people, and they are renowned for their longevity and healthy lifestyle. They also abstain from smoking and drinking.

Incidentally, they have no issue with the use of meat analogs. In fact Morinigstar Farms and Worthington are SDA companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Linda Mc Cartney. Linda is one person. And she wrote some wonderful cookbooks and was a devoted mother. I think that dragging out the one vegetarian celeb who passed from cancer does not constitute a study on any level.
This is not to mention that she died of Breast Cancer, a cancer that has been highly correlated with animal based diets.....

Regardless, a Vegan diet can be perfectly healthy for a baby, but babies have different dietary needs so one should always consult with someone if they aren't sure. Heck....at least read a few books...

Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,727,414 times
I would consult with a registered dietician on dietary needs of children, doctors don't take many classes on nutrition in medical school. You can get a referral from a doctor to have a consult with a dietician. I worked with one on meal planning for my preemie son.

One thing is to make sure food is prepared correctly for children's digestive system. An extreme vegan family had their child taken away here, they were feeding him exclusively on a raw food diet. There is a big difference between being vegetarian, and eating a raw food diet.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM

17,486 posts, read 20,942,972 times
My nephew's foods are not raw,. Everything is cooked and cut up small or pureed.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
An extreme vegan family had their child taken away here, they were feeding him exclusively on a raw food diet. There is a big difference between being vegetarian, and eating a raw food diet.
Children can subsist just fine on a raw food diet, in fact we are all here today because our ancestors subsisted on a raw food diet. The funny thing is......that nobody would think about taking away an obese kid being feed soda, pizza, etc....despite the fact that his/her diet is killing him/her. Society considers that normal....

Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,727,414 times
For example that the most common signs of malnutritioned raw food children are:
1. cavities
2. small and thin kids
3 being pale and without energy

I will defer on this issue, but if the child has the above symtoms, the child needs medical attention.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:45 PM

There are no nutrients that kids need that can't be obtained in a raw food diet, but that doesn't mean all parents are doing things right. But that goes for all sorts of parents, not just those with a raw food diet.

What is fundamentally strange here is that people aren't considering the overweight kids with a high fat/sugar diet to be malnourished. Yet, if a kid is skinny and a little pale, he is taken away from his parent?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,258,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I would consult with a registered dietician on dietary needs of children, doctors don't take many classes on nutrition in medical school. You can get a referral from a doctor to have a consult with a dietician. I worked with one on meal planning for my preemie son.

One thing is to make sure food is prepared correctly for children's digestive system. An extreme vegan family had their child taken away here, they were feeding him exclusively on a raw food diet. There is a big difference between being vegetarian, and eating a raw food diet.
Very true! Physicians take less hours in nutrition than do RNs! I would trust a Registered Dietician first.

However, people can also do their own research.

I did not feed my children an exclusively vegan meal when they were under twelve. We had some vegan meals however, and little dairy in the form of milk or cheese.

They did eat organic cage free eggs, which I have heard are not humane. At the time I thought that they were.

When they started to eat food, they ate vegetarian baby food - organic - I forget the brand.
They liked tofu cubes, celery filled with peanut butter, carrot sticks dipped in mild hummus, and other finger foods.

At about two, they ate chick nuggets and veggie burgers.

I'm not sure that knowing what I do now, I would have included eggs - unless they were from a pet chicken I cared for myself.

I know my children were raised on wholesome foods, and I know this much - meat is NOT a wholesome food!

Old 06-22-2012, 01:50 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,993,846 times
My two boys have been vegetarians from day one. They have had 6 doctors (we move alot), and everyone has been fine with their diet and their growth and development. They know no other way.

My only concern is if your sister (or is it SIL?) wants to go vegetarian fulltime at some point and is having difficulty. It will be harder to make a family change (and I imagine hard to keep a change in diet for yourself if your family hasn't also made the change) if she makes when her son is older. There is definiately no issue with just trying to eat less meat and cutting it out once in awhile--but if it comes up, you may want to mention to her that if she wants to go to a fulltime vegetarian, now is the time.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:00 AM

428 posts, read 1,049,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I think any sort of extreme diet is a worry.

Veganism is definitely extreme and should really only be a personal choice...your baby is not old enough to choose.

I don't even like vegetarianism (my daughter is one) - most people don't realise that there are certain cancers that are more prevalent in vegetarians. Linda McCartney anyone?

I'd really like to see more study done, but in the meantime, don't inflict your extremism on a growing baby!
Um...no. Wrong. Parents get to choose what their baby is going to eat. I guess veganism is "extreme" if wanting to avoid unnecessary suffering is "extreme".
You are flat out wrong about a vegan diet being dangerous or the fact that veggie diets cause certain cancers. Much study has already been done on veg/vegan diets.
Let's see what people who actually know what they're taling about have to say about it:

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life-cycle including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence and for athletes."

Hmmm...nothing there about added cancer risk or it being dangerous for kids...interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food