U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,113,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I feel certain that I will not convince Whole Food Advocates that their way is wrong.
Additionally, it's not my goal to do so.
I am just glad that you do not eat meat.
I'm also unsure what's wrong with a whole food diet? Or are you just saying you think that W.F. advocates are wrong for saying that's the best/only diet to follow? I don't think any of us is going to change the mind of anyone else so, yes, we'll probably just need to agree to disagree.

As I've said elsewhere here, I'd like our little group to be INclusive of all veg*ns -- regardless of the dietary specifics -- rather than EXclusive.

Let's be supportive of each other in our journey, whatever path we may take .....

Old 07-04-2012, 12:31 PM

18,581 posts, read 23,112,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
LOVED the post Sheena!

But I agree... there should be a Truce... I too am a Veg*n for the sake of the Animals far more so than for environmental impact, but of course this factors in somewhere, it's just not my top priority.

I don't think that we, as Vegetarians and Vegans should be divided by Processed foods or Whole foods; Animal Cruelty, Environmental Concerns or Health Concerns. The point is, if we're not eating meat... we're not only doing our bodies a lot of good, but the lessened impact on the animals and environment in general all adds up somewhere.

So, let's just enjoy and embrace the fact that we have commonality in our diet, and share the benefits of it... rather than dwell on our differing ethics and world views.

Amitiés!
-Amber
Love you Amber! Your post is brilliant as well and well stated!

Not eating meat is the point. It factors in there somewhere, as does my health, but it's a secondary gain. A plus. But not the reason.

I agree that we should be peaceful and friendly and call a truce - we should seek to focus upon commonalities not differences.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I'm also unsure what's wrong with a whole food diet? Or are you just saying you think that W.F. advocates are wrong for saying that's the best/only diet to follow? I don't think any of us is going to change the mind of anyone else so, yes, we'll probably just need to agree to disagree.

As I've said elsewhere here, I'd like our little group to be INclusive of all veg*ns -- regardless of the dietary specifics -- rather than EXclusive.

Let's be supportive of each other in our journey, whatever path we may take .....
Nothing is WRONG with a whole food diet. As I've shared, there seems to be something wrong with meat analogs to some people.

I am happy that they don't eat meat. What else they do is their choice - but not mine.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,113,383 times
Quote:
Nothing is WRONG with a whole food diet. As I've shared, there seems to be something wrong with meat analogs to some people.

Gotcha! I just wasn't clear about what you were saying .....

Old 07-04-2012, 01:02 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,406,239 times
Quote:
I don't think wrong is the correct word as that implies there is something perhaps immoral about consuming processed meat analogs. Advocates of a whole foods diet, at least typically, simply think that processed foods don't promote long-term health. Its about health, not ethics.

As for as "being on the same team", though a vegetarian diet is a big departure from the typical American diet its also a very general dietary lifestyle. As a result once a meat-free diet becomes second nature, other differences quickly surface within the vegetarian community. Though I can understand how things may feel different for folks that live in communities where vegetarianism is uncommon.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM

It's not at all unusual to be a veg*n on the East Coast or the mid-west. Your comment is just a tad condescending.

I think we need to agree to disagree about this topic.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:37 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,406,239 times
Quote:
It's not at all unusual to be a veg*n on the East Coast or the mid-west. Your comment is just a tad condescending.
Huh? I didn't say anything about the east coast or mid-west, just pointing out that things are different for people when they are one of the only vegetarians in their social circle, community, etc versus someone that is around vegetarians all the time. In the former case it becomes a lot about me the vegetarian vs the non-vegetarians.

You keep saying "we need to agree to disagree", but then you keep making big posts on the topic.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:01 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,446,117 times
We had Dr Praeger's californina veggie burgers from costco today for the 4th.

Ingredients:

carrots, onions, string beans, oat bran, soybeans, zucchini, peas, broccoli, corn, soy flakes spinach, expeller pressed canola oil, red peppers, arrowroot, corn starch, garlic, corn meal, salt, parsley, black pepper.

What's not to love!? Yum!

Old 07-04-2012, 06:05 PM

5,340 posts, read 8,004,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Ingredients:

carrots, onions, string beans, oat bran, soybeans, zucchini, peas, broccoli, corn, soy flakes spinach, expeller pressed canola oil, red peppers, arrowroot, corn starch, garlic, corn meal, salt, parsley, black pepper.

I love these burgers! They are some of my favorites. All those delicious veggies combine to make a flavorful burger.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:41 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,239,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Ingredients:

That actually sounds delicious. It sounds like it'd be great with mustard or even ranch dressing (if you're okay with dairy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food