Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,859,956 times

Advertisements

I didn't see a dedicated post on this yet What did you do for your July 4th Celebrations?

DH & I went over to one of his friend's houses for a July 4th Party and I brought:

- Smart Dogs
- Vegan Seven Layer Fiesta Dip (using homemade Refried Beans, Tofutti Sour Cream and Non Dairy Cheese)
- Vegan 'Flag Cake' (white cake, vegan buttercream, and blueberries & strawberries in the 'flag' shape)
- Vegan 'Jello Shot' Cake using Red 'Jeannie' (No Animal Content 'Gelatin'), Tofutti Cream Cheese, Blueberries and Vodka

At the party, there was also Salad & Corn on the Cob which I had with my Smart Dog. Incidentally, all of my Smart Dogs disappeared, without any negative anti veg*n comments... and my Cake and 'Non Gelatin Jello Cake' got rave reviews (I didn't tell people up front that they were Vegan).

Overall I was pleased by the outcome... my kitchen is still a huge mess though from all of the last minute cooking, baking and prep I did before going to the party yesterday evening! Ugh!

So what about you!? What Veg*n treats did you have for your July 4th Celebrations!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 02:00 PM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I didn't see a dedicated post on this yet What did you do for your July 4th Celebrations?

DH & I went over to one of his friend's houses for a July 4th Party and I brought:

- Smart Dogs
- Vegan Seven Layer Fiesta Dip (using homemade Refried Beans, Tofutti Sour Cream and Non Dairy Cheese)
- Vegan 'Flag Cake' (white cake, vegan buttercream, and blueberries & strawberries in the 'flag' shape)
- Vegan 'Jello Shot' Cake using Red 'Jeannie' (No Animal Content 'Gelatin'), Tofutti Cream Cheese, Blueberries and Vodka

At the party, there was also Salad & Corn on the Cob which I had with my Smart Dog. Incidentally, all of my Smart Dogs disappeared, without any negative anti veg*n comments... and my Cake and 'Non Gelatin Jello Cake' got rave reviews (I didn't tell people up front that they were Vegan).

Overall I was pleased by the outcome... my kitchen is still a huge mess though from all of the last minute cooking, baking and prep I did before going to the party yesterday evening! Ugh!

So what about you!? What Veg*n treats did you have for your July 4th Celebrations!?

Wow! This sounds totally yum! I would love the recipes for those two cakes!
We could have had a great party had we combined our talents!

Most of what I prepared was pretty easy - an assortment of veggie dogs, burgers and sausages, whole wheat rolls, vegan potato salad, spinach salad with lemon dressing, grilled fresh corn, Polish Cucumber Salad made with vegan sour cream, stewed tri-color peppers, onions and tomatoes.

For desert - watermelon and American Peace Flag Red Velvet Cake decorated with strawberries and blueberries. Been making that cake since mt kids were toddlers. It's a tradition.

People brought other things such as cocktail veggie balls, broccoli and pasta salad, cashew pate and crackers, and a veggie and dip tray - with a really good dilly garlic dip. Mojitos made with home grown mint and beer from a vegan brewery. Lemonade for kids.

If anyone wants a recipe, feel free to send me a DM!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:04 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,075,840 times
Not much, just corn and one of those veggie grill patty things.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:40 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,126,927 times
Raw veggie burgers! With homemade sun dried tomato ketchup. On a lettuce leaf. Cabbage salad.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:52 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,351 times
Dr. Praeger's veggie burgers on whole wheat buns, corn on the cob & potato salad.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
Are you kidding? It was a hundred and five degrees here. I drank icewater with lime. Food would have been impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food