Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times

Advertisements

It's sweet! It almost tastes like Apple Pie

As for Pie Crusts- a super easy recipe I use is as follows:

Ingredients:
2 cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
5 tbsp (or more) of Ice Cold Water

Method:
1) Sift together flour and salt
2) Combine Vegetable Oil and Water and pour onto Flour mixture
3) Mix using a fork or pastry cutter
4) Once combined (if it feels too dry feel free to add a touch more water) separate dough into two halves
5) Roll out each onto cold pastry board (top and bottom crust)
6) Use as needed

For sweet pies, I like to sprinkle the top crust with a touch of Sugar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 06:53 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
if I absolutely need to make summer squash they want it breaded and fried. Which is tedious and HOT in the Summer.
I gotta admit, that's the best way to eat zucchini! With lots of garlic powder. No vampires at my house.

I also like to quick stir fry thin slices in olive oil. They do get squishy that way, though.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
My favorite thing to do with yellow squash is make raw "SPAGHETTI" MARINARA with it.

I have a spiral cutter, which makes it a snap to turn yellow squash into long thin strands of faux pasta. But if you don't have one, you can still use a cheese shredder or a julienne peeler to make long thin "noodles" the whole length of the squash. Or a mandoline with fine cutters works too. Personally I peel the squash first, but not everyone does. In any case, once the raw"pasta" is all cut I toss it loosely in a big bowl with a little olive oil to separate the strands.

On to the sauce...

I do this one by taste and feel now but let me guess at the proportions:

1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, soaked in a little warm water 30 minutes to soften
3 fresh tomatoes
1 garlic clove
1/4 med onion
1 TBS fresh chopped basil
1 tsp oregano
big pinch black pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil
juice of a lemon
4 dates, pitted

optional, a couple of fresh dates, pitted OR some raisins
some flat leaf parsley

Core the tomatoes and coarsely chop
Coarsely chop everything else

Toss all the sauce ingredients in a food processor and pulse-process until you have the texture you wish. Or use a high speed blender, but just pulse it, don't over-process it.

Heap some of the "pasta" in the bottom of an individual bowl, and spoon the sauce over the top.

If you eat cheese you can grate some parmesan over the top. If you don't, a little grated macadamia nut makes a nice visual substitute for cheese.

The fun thing is that it looks so much like a real bowl of spaghetti that if you bring it out already served up everyone just dives in... then they notice it is cold, rather than hot... but it tastes right... and it tastes goooood... so they keep going, but they're looking around the table at others while they try to figure out what is going on... bwaaaahahahahaha.

Then you let them in on your secret, that it's actually a salad that just looks like a bowl of spaghetti, and everyone laughs. And it's all just raw vegetables. I've never met a soul that didn't like it, and get a kick out of it.

Amazon.com: Joyce Chen 51-0662, Saladacco Spiral Slicer, White: Home & Kitchen

Amazon.com: New and Essential Tri-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer: Home & Kitchen

Zyliss Julienne Peeler: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 PM

581 posts, read 969,228 times
A simple and good way is to simply cut them in half lengthways, brush olive oil on, and grill them.
It's good if you like the taste of squash and don't want to cover it up too much.

Also, one could boil some pasta, cook some zucchini, mushrooms, and fresh tomatoes in a pan, and mix them with the pasta with a little olive oil. Then season to taste and add romano or parmeseano cheese if acceptable.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Great ideas, squash-lovers! Cudos!

I have it cooking in a sauce right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food