U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 AM

2,032 posts, read 1,518,941 times

Advertisements

I'm having a routine colonoscopy and received my instructions for preparing for it.

Three days before the colonoscopy I will have to alter my diet to a very bland fiber-free diet. That means no raw veggies or fruit and cutting out food that has a high fiber content. This will begin clearing out the system of this type of content which can interfere with viewing the colon.

Then the morning before the actual procedure, I can have a bland, non-fiber light breakfast, followed by drinks and the laxatives they prescribe throughout the rest of the day. The day of the procedure itself, it's nada.

I am looking for suggestions for breakfast, lunch and dinner during these three days. Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM

4,005 posts, read 3,465,726 times
My recommendation is to stay on a strict clear liquid diet for three days before your procedure. It will make your prep much easier.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 PM

11,294 posts, read 17,214,285 times
It'll also make the results more accurate. My sister had one recently, she was instructed to have only clear chicken broth or vegetable broth, no solids of any kind, at all, not even pureed vegetables. I think she was allowed to have filtered apple juice (but not cider or unfiltered raw juice) too. Oh and jello, but only uncolored or yellow colored (like pineapple was allowed but raspberry was not). And she could have tea with lemon and honey or sugar but no milk.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:12 AM

missik999 and AnonChick,

Good suggestions. Thanks!!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:03 AM

11,294 posts, read 17,214,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
missik999 and AnonChick,

Good suggestions. Thanks!!
Just be reminded that Jell-O isn't even remotely vegetarian; it is made with gelatin, which is produced from hides and bones of dead animals.

You'll really need to ask your doctor to help you find appropriate vegetarian protein sources for your pre-procedural diet. Analogues will likely -not- be appropriate in this particular case, because you have to completely eliminate fiber. Pectin is a soluable dietary fiber and therefore that won't substitute for Jell-O (normally it's a fine substitute).

Since you're posting in the vegetarian forum, I'm assuming you're looking for non-meat options for this 2-3-day diet.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:23 PM

5,065 posts, read 4,492,124 times
The doctor's office should be able to give you a list of pre-testing-friendly foods. What's striking to me is that I had that test and was not told to elimiate fiber. No salads, they said, so I ate oatmeal.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:25 AM

4,005 posts, read 3,465,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Just be reminded that Jell-O isn't even remotely vegetarian; it is made with gelatin, which is produced from hides and bones of dead animals.

You'll really need to ask your doctor to help you find appropriate vegetarian protein sources for your pre-procedural diet. Analogues will likely -not- be appropriate in this particular case, because you have to completely eliminate fiber. Pectin is a soluable dietary fiber and therefore that won't substitute for Jell-O (normally it's a fine substitute).

Since you're posting in the vegetarian forum, I'm assuming you're looking for non-meat options for this 2-3-day diet.

Clear vegetable broth only for 72 hours before the colonoscopy works fine.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 AM

Just a follow-up.

Everything went well. I followed the guidelines and included a few suggestions posted here.

Three days before the procedure I had to stop raw veggies and fruit, but cooked veggies and fruit were ok. I also stopped high fiber as an added precaution although not specifically mentioned.

The day before the procedure I could have a light breakfast and after that it was a clear liquid diet. They did say no hi fiber cereal that morning and no fruit. After midnight nothing.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 AM

34,260 posts, read 6,945,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Just a follow-up.

Everything went well. I followed the guidelines and included a few suggestions posted here.

Three days before the procedure I had to stop raw veggies and fruit, but cooked veggies and fruit were ok. I also stopped high fiber as an added precaution although not specifically mentioned.

The day before the procedure I could have a light breakfast and after that it was a clear liquid diet. They did say no hi fiber cereal that morning and no fruit. After midnight nothing.
Glad to hear everything went well.

To add to the discussion, there's no reason at all to starve yourself, only having clear liquids for 3 days before the test. That's pretty extreme and unnecessary, unless your medicl care provider tells you specifically to do this. Just follow the instructions from your doctor. My special diet didn't start until the day before the test, about 36 hours prior to procedure time, and I was able to eat some actual food till about 18 hours before the procedure. One thing that really made it all easier was that my list of acceptable foods included sorbet. That was a delicious alternative to jello. I splurged on a pint of lemon sorbet and that made the prep a lot less bothersome. Of course, I had to stop the sorbet as well at the 18-hour mark.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:56 AM

4 posts, read 13,611 times
First, quit taking any iron tablets, multivitamins with iron and natural supplements four days soon after the procedure since these can color the intestines and meddle with the method. Stop eating fiber and stop taking fiber supplements limit your cafe drinking, alcohol consumption and in addition chocolate consumption. Quit taking each day colon purifying items since they might function as fiber, building operators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food