Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times

Advertisements

As I have mentioned before, most of my friends are vegan or vegetarian, although not all of their extended families are. So when we planned a large dinner for an event we advised the caterer that at least half of the food should be vegan.

The event hall was set up beautifully, with separate tables for appetizers, entrees, salads, breads and desserts. On each table the vegan items were labeled with "Vegan" tags. Vegan appetizers, vegan entrees, vegan salads, vegan breads, vegan desserts. All clearly identified.

So.............who ate the vegan food? The vegan food was completely consumed, not a crumb left on any of the vegan platters, bins and baskets. Yet there was a good amount of non-vegan leftovers.

We actually ran out of vegan food, because nearly all of the meat-eaters were happily eating the vegan food. And we were thrilled that they were! We heard so many comments about how tasty it was, how surprised everyone was, how much they enjoyed sampling the vegan food, how they came back for seconds, and how they could see themselves eating a vegan diet.

We then had an excellent opportunity to share recipes, tips, titles of our favorite cookbooks and even a copy of Forks Over Knives and The China Study that one of my friends happened to have in her car.

An enjoyable and educational meal was enjoyed by all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 10:20 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
As I have mentioned before, most of my friends are vegan or vegetarian, although not all of their extended families are. So when we planned a large dinner for an event we advised the caterer that at least half of the food should be vegan.

The event hall was set up beautifully, with separate tables for appetizers, entrees, salads, breads and desserts. On each table the vegan items were labeled with "Vegan" tags. Vegan appetizers, vegan entrees, vegan salads, vegan breads, vegan desserts. All clearly identified.

So.............who ate the vegan food? The vegan food was completely consumed, not a crumb left on any of the vegan platters, bins and baskets. Yet there was a good amount of non-vegan leftovers.

We actually ran out of vegan food, because nearly all of the meat-eaters were happily eating the vegan food. And we were thrilled that they were! We heard so many comments about how tasty it was, how surprised everyone was, how much they enjoyed sampling the vegan food, how they came back for seconds, and how they could see themselves eating a vegan diet.

We then had an excellent opportunity to share recipes, tips, titles of our favorite cookbooks and even a copy of Forks Over Knives and The China Study that one of my friends happened to have in her car.

Was there enough food left for your vegan guests? That reminds me of a similar instance. I am in a cycling club, and one time the club had a morning ride from a friend's house. The plan was for everyone to go out on a 40+ mile ride and be back in time for lunch. Several people brought a wide variety of food - burgers, chicken to grill, even some healthy food. In this club, we have a couple of vegetarians and one vegan. The vegan usually brings his own to ensure that he will have something to eat. To this event, he brought a big bowl of some cold bean concoction (yawn). I brought a smorgasboard of grilled veggies. I mean a lot, consisting of a variety of peppers (red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers, annaheim peppers, poblano peppers, green and yellow squash, tomatoes, portabelo mushrooms, onions, cut-up sweet potatoes, and topped with rasberry chipotle simmerd pecans.) It was seasoned with a rosemary garlic seasoning mix with olive oil. I call this "getting your veggie drunk on." Anyhoo, not everyone went on the ride. The few that stayed behind (not the vegan) were getting a little hungry and saw our vegan's bean dish. Thinking it must be an appetizer, they finished it off with some chips - like a bean dip, before the rest of the people returned from the ride. He couldn't believe it. He really had a look of dissapointment on his face - he never expressed any anger, but you know he wasn't happy. However, he was so happy to see me walk into the kitchen with my grilled veggies. He had a huge portion (there was plenty). Those veggies were the hit of the lunch. People couldn't believe how good veggies could be. Certainly better than that bland piece of chicken I had. We were standing around the kitchen talking about the food we had and I was asked how I prepared the veggies. The vegan happend to be standing right next to me while I was telling the group how I prepared it. They asked what was the seasoning. I told them it was a roasted garlic and rosemary blend with some minced onion, blah blah. They said, no no, what was the marinade that made the vegetables so tender, or something to that effect. With the vegan standing right next to me, I said, "oh...bacon grease." Oh he about hurled thinking he just ate a ton of veggies that had been soaking in bacon grease. Ah good times, good times.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
With the vegan standing right next to me, I said, "oh...bacon grease." Oh he about hurled thinking he just ate a ton of veggies that had been soaking in bacon grease. Ah good times, good times.

It's sad that you find that amusing.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
It's sad that you find that amusing.

Oh, please. Not sad at all, don't get your panties in a wad, he found it amusing too. It's sad that you didn't, and completely missed the points of the post - that being my concern that the vegans got enough food, and that the vegan food (my veggies and his bean dish) was the hit of our lunch, as well, simply affirming the OP. Come on, I know you are smarter than that. He knew it was olive oil and not bacon grease. I guess you had to have been there. He has a sense of humor, along with the rest of us. He didn't really hurl, he played along acting as if he was about to - for the laugh. He got the laugh that he was performing for, as well.

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-31-2012 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-31-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Oh, please. Not sad at all, don't get your panties in a wad, he found it amusing too. It's sad that you didn't, and completely missed the points of the post - that being my concern that the vegans got enough food, and that the vegan food (my veggies and his bean dish) was the hit of our lunch, as well, simply affirming the OP. Come on, I know you are smarter than that. He knew it was olive oil and not bacon grease. I guess you had to have been there. He has a sense of humor, along with the rest of us. He didn't really hurl, he played along acting as if he was about to - for the laugh. He got the laugh that he was performing for, as well.

No panties in a wad here. You said, in your previous post, that it was *bacon grease*, not olive oil. That's entirely different from what you're saying now.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
No panties in a wad here. You said, in your previous post, that it was *bacon grease*, not olive oil. That's entirely different from what you're saying now.

Thanks for the clarification.
Au contraire. You didn't read the whole thing, let me refer you to a couple of sentences you evidently missed.

Quote:
I brought a smorgasboard of grilled veggies. I mean a lot, consisting of a variety of peppers (red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers, annaheim peppers, poblano peppers, green and yellow squash, tomatoes, portabelo mushrooms, onions, cut-up sweet potatoes, and topped with rasberry chipotle simmered pecans). It was seasoned with a rosemary garlic seasoning mix with olive oil.
Does that help? I think you have a proclivity for being defensive as exhibited in the defensive thread and thus just skimmed my post. Just take you time reading these.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Au contraire. You didn't read the whole thing, let me refer you to a couple of sentences you evidently missed.

Does that help? I think you have a proclivity for being defensive as exhibited in the defensive thread and thus just skimmed my post. Just take you time reading these.
No, I saw your olive oil comment. However, you ended by saying that you told everyone the vegetables were prepared in bacon grease.

Now, please show me where:

1) you wrote your comment was a joke
2) you wrote that the vegan knew your comment was a joke
3) you wrote that the vegan's almost hurling "thinking he just ate a ton of veggies that had been soaking in bacon grease" was an act

Quote:
Was there enough food left for your vegan guests? That reminds me of a similar instance. I am in a cycling club, and one time the club had a morning ride from a friend's house. The plan was for everyone to go out on a 40+ mile ride and be back in time for lunch. Several people brought a wide variety of food - burgers, chicken to grill, even some healthy food. In this club, we have a couple of vegetarians and one vegan. The vegan usually brings his own to ensure that he will have something to eat. To this event, he brought a big bowl of some cold bean concoction (yawn). I brought a smorgasboard of grilled veggies. I mean a lot, consisting of a variety of peppers (red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers, annaheim peppers, poblano peppers, green and yellow squash, tomatoes, portabelo mushrooms, onions, cut-up sweet potatoes, and topped with rasberry chipotle simmerd pecans.) It was seasoned with a rosemary garlic seasoning mix with olive oil. I call this "getting your veggie drunk on." Anyhoo, not everyone went on the ride. The few that stayed behind (not the vegan) were getting a little hungry and saw our vegan's bean dish. Thinking it must be an appetizer, they finished it off with some chips - like a bean dip, before the rest of the people returned from the ride. He couldn't believe it. He really had a look of dissapointment on his face - he never expressed any anger, but you know he wasn't happy. However, he was so happy to see me walk into the kitchen with my grilled veggies. He had a huge portion (there was plenty). Those veggies were the hit of the lunch. People couldn't believe how good veggies could be. Certainly better than that bland piece of chicken I had. We were standing around the kitchen talking about the food we had and I was asked how I prepared the veggies. The vegan happend to be standing right next to me while I was telling the group how I prepared it. They asked what was the seasoning. I told them it was a roasted garlic and rosemary blend with some minced onion, blah blah. They said, no no, what was the marinade that made the vegetables so tender, or something to that effect. With the vegan standing right next to me, I said, "oh...bacon grease." Oh he about hurled thinking he just ate a ton of veggies that had been soaking in bacon grease. Ah good times, good times.

^^Here's your original post.^^ I'll wait while YOU re-read it.

Seriously -- you're the only defensive person here. I simply said it's sad that you think this was funny, and I stand by that.

But I am glad (really) that your grilled vegetables were so well received.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

This is typically what happens when we have a vegetarian option during our faculty lunches. Everyone digs in and enjoys it, which is great -- unless it's all gone by the time the vegetarians get there! (Which has happened a couple times ..... )

Your menu was such a great success and I'm glad that everyone enjoyed it!

Old 08-31-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
No, I saw your olive oil comment. However, you ended by saying that you told everyone the vegetables were prepared in bacon grease.
Of course, that was the joke. He already knew it was olive oil. He was already aware of it. Sure you see it now. I don't think you did see it, otherwise you would have seen the humor. The unexpectedness is integral in the humor. You've heard the saying about having to draw a picture, or having to explain the joke?

Quote:
Now, please show me where:

1) you wrote your comment was a joke
2) you wrote that the vegan knew your comment was a joke
3) you wrote that the vegan's almost hurling "thinking he just ate a ton of veggies that had been soaking in bacon grease" was an act
If someone tells you a joke, do they have to preface it with clarification that what you are about to hear, is a joke? With a developed sense of humor, that would be superfluous, and it also would ruin the setup. I just have to conclude that it got past you.

Quote:
Seriously -- you're the only defensive person here. I simply said it's sad that you think this was funny, and I stand by that.
A defensive posture would prevent you from seeing the humor. It is sad that you didn't think it was funny. Everyone in the kitchen got it without being told that it was a joke. It was self evident. And since a picture has been drawn for you, I hope you can see the humor in it.

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-31-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 04:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I didn't think you were joking either. Before I knew you were joking, I thought you were making fun of him. A teasing smirk or twinkling eye doesn't come through a message board very well. I'm glad it's all cleared up though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food