Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,932,540 times

Advertisements

bumpas7 wrote: The Scary Truth About Vegan Diets

Vegetables don't scare me. They are my friends. Like Cattknap said...it's the typical diet of the average American that is truly scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 PM

23,875 posts, read 32,147,057 times
The Vegan diet is not a scarey diet. It's a wholesome way of life that is also compassionate to animals and kind to the earth.

Not everyone will be able to become a strict vegan. I have been a vegetarian since 1989 and my husband since 1980.

We have two healthy, athletic, smart, slender yet muscular children 18 and 16.

They did not suffer ear infections, allergies, per-mature onset of puberty, (caused by hormones given to animals) or sore throats. They are healthy and compassionate teens.

I wish I was raised as they were.

Their friends do as well.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:15 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,304,218 times
Everyone I've ever known has eaten until they died. So, I guess eating is bad for one

Let me think that through again

Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,633,620 times
I read the article, and I'm not seeing how a vegan diet has any "scary" truth. The truth of the matter is, a vegan diet requires a lot of work, a whole lot of planning, and supplements in order to be a -healthy- vegan diet. Anyone can stop eating anything that used to have a face, or that came from anything that has/had a face. But it takes serious dedication and personal responsibility to do so in a way that maintains good health.

That's why, when I went vegetarian, I stuck primarily with whole foods and avoided overprocessed garbage. I did include cheese and other dairy in my diet, and didn't avoid honey or other things that vegans would avoid. I was healthy, I didn't lose or gain weight but I had no weight problem at the time anyway. For me, it was just a change of food choices (mostly at the time, to impress a vegetarian boyfriend); nothing more, nothing less. Ethics had nothing to do with it, for me. If it weren't for having to choose between a piece of fish and nasty eggplant, or tofu and pretty much anything else, I probably would've stuck with it.

Now though, I have to be more cognizant of my grain intake, and my butterfat intake because I tend to overdo it. My protein levels are just fine, so if I did without meat and ate less protein-rich foods, I wouldn't suffer a bit. I'm not sure what I -would- eat though, without any interest at all, in processed soy-foods, meat analogues, cheese analogues, eggplant, avocados, artichokes, and around 1/3 less starch than I'm currently consuming (because I have to cut down).

I'm an omnivore and I don't eat deli meats even now, there's nothing that'd convince me to eat fake meat deli slices. On the other hand, I've had turkey dogs, and I've had beef franks. I've heard tofurkey dogs are designed to taste somewhat like turkey dogs. I'd rather just not have any dogs at all, if I was stuck with that.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,290,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Quote:
"I felt deeply satisfied after my first bite of fried eggs and cheese," says Floyd, who no longer deals with crazy cravings and now has "awesome" cholesterol--which she links, ironically, to a return to eggs and bacon.
What a bunch of bullcrap and so is this article. Properly planned vegan and vegetarian diets (like any properly planned diet!) are perfectly conducive with health.

I love when people want to go back eating meat and they try to convince themselves it's a health issue when they really just couldn't resist a plate of steak and eggs.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:07 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,479,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
bumpas7 wrote: The Scary Truth About Vegan Diets

Vegetables don't scare me. They are my friends. Like Cattknap said...it's the typical diet of the average American that is truly scary.
Looks like you did not read the artical closely ... By the way I did not write any of it.

It did not say that being a vegetarian or Vagan was dangerous.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 AM

bumpus7....You're right, I didn't even read the article. I responded to your use of the word 'scary' in the title of the thread.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,948,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I love when people want to go back eating meat and they try to convince themselves it's a health issue when they really just couldn't resist a plate of steak and eggs.

It's not so much a health issue as it is people seeing that there is absolutely no need to be a vegetarian to live a healthy lifestyle. Granted, if people are vegetarians because of their views towards animals, well that's different. but if someone says they have to eat vegetarian if they want to be healthy, then people who understand nutrition knows it's a load of BS.

When it comes to things like eggs and meat, etc. people should really watch the movie "Fat Head." It blows alot of myths out of the water when it comes to things we eat.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,948,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The Vegan diet is not a scarey diet. It's a wholesome way of life that is also compassionate to animals and kind to the earth.

Not everyone will be able to become a strict vegan. I have been a vegetarian since 1989 and my husband since 1980.

We have two healthy, athletic, smart, slender yet muscular children 18 and 16.

They did not suffer ear infections, allergies, per-mature onset of puberty, (caused by hormones given to animals) or sore throats. They are healthy and compassionate teens.

I wish I was raised as they were.

Their friends do as well.
I grew up eating meat, still do, and never had any health problems growing up. Oh, and being compassionate has nothing to do with one's diet.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 AM

wcu25rs wrtote: Oh, and being compassionate has nothing to do with one's diet

That may be the case in your mind and in the minds of many others, but that does not apply to everyone. Some of us are quite aware of a most definite connection between ones diet and compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food