U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,113,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
They are hardly off topic when the question is "Why the bias against fake meat?"
They ARE off-topic, when they derail the thread to the point where the OP's question was completely lost.

Again -- if you want to specifically discuss the benefits of whole foods, just start your own thread and do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,079,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
They ARE off-topic, when they derail the thread to the point where the OP's question was completely lost.

Again -- if you want to specifically discuss the benefits of whole foods, just start your own thread and do so.
Oh, so someone can make comments directed at me, but I'm not allowed to respond. Got it.

Go back through all the "fake meat is awesome" threads and tell me which ones I even posted in, much less derailed. Nevermind, I'll tell you. None of them. Because I don't eat the stuff and I have no interest in a discussion about how wonderful it is. If people like it and want to talk about how it's the best thing ever, it's nothing to me. The only fake meat themed thread I posted in was the one asking why people don't eat fake meat. I think I'm well within my rights to answer that question.

If people feel the need to try and invalidate a vegan diet that differs form their own heavily processed vegetarian diet, fine. But the person they're are addressing has every right to respond to the comments directed at them. If that takes the thread off topic, then maybe people should stop trying to judge my diet and pretend that it's somehow less ethical then theirs. They don't want omnivores questioning their vegetarianism, but they feel they have the right to question my veganism? How does that work?

There was one thread about unprocessed food and it was closed. Did I derail that one, too?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 AM

11,151 posts, read 14,113,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Oh, so someone can make comments directed at me, but I'm not allowed to respond. Got it.
Oh, good grief. You've given as good as you've gotten in every thread in which you've participated -- and you're just as guilty of taking threads off-topic as anyone else. If you want to talk further about this, send me a DM.

Now -- how about getting back to the topic of THIS thread?

Thanks.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-22-2012 at 04:44 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 06:40 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,479,913 times
I think that everyone feels the need at some point, online or elsewhere to defend their way of life- be it Veg*nism or any other dietary or lifestyle choice.

To a certain extent, I think that a lot of us (myself included) feel that our way is the best way to eat / think / live. The majority of us on this board seem to be from Western cultures (Australasia, USA, Canada, UK, etc) where individuality and freedom of thought and speech are encouraged. Henceforth, I think that all of us feel the need to speak our mind and that's perfectly okay- as long as we understand that there is a time and a place (or a board and a thread in this case) to express our thoughts.

With regards to the arguments / discussions / defensiveness between Veg*ns on this board- I think what it boils down to is the following:

A while ago, a study in the UK found that there was a correlation between intelligence and veg*nism. Basically, the higher the IQ of the individual, the more likely they are to adopt a Veg*n diet.

With that said- there is also a known connection between higher IQs and obsessive tendencies.

I have an incredibly intelligent, educated (Vegan) mother who is currently about to embark on a Post Doctorate after achieving two PhDs and without blowing my own horn (because gosh knows I have dingy moments) I know that I too have an IQ level classified as 'Very Superior/ Near Genius'. In my case at least, I'm the first to admit that I tend to get obsessive about things- including my ethics and opinions.

The majority of my personal development throughout my 20s has been about reigning this in to an extent because I don't like conflict and I don't want people to think I act superior or condescending via my conversation or actions.

I get the impression that a great number of us in the Veg*n Forum are very, very intelligent individuals. Maybe we are all a little obsessed too with our way of thinking and way of life which is what makes our conversation toward each other become defensive and derisive. Perhaps we all need to take a step out of our own boxes for a moment and start reading these forums more objectively.

A little respect for those who may not share our exact opinions goes a long, long way.

If all else fails, remember the George Bernard Shaw quote "Choose silence of all virtues, for by it you hear other men's imperfections, and conceal your own"

Old 08-22-2012, 07:28 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,389,211 times
I have a somewhat off topic question....why do some of you asterisk out the 'a' in the word vegan?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I have a somewhat off topic question....why do some of you asterisk out the 'a' in the word vegan?
Instead of writing both Vegan and Vegetarian. Veg*n means either or

Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,446,117 times
To respond to the original question "Why do we need to defend ourselves?"

One CHOOSES to defend. One chooses to get defensive, to fight. No one needs to fight and defend.

Or one chooses to feel at peace with one's dietary decisions & teaches by gentle example, rather than raging about one's positions.

We all have choices here. We need to be responsible for our choices.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 AM

74 posts, read 127,965 times
Why do you use Veg*n instead of Vegan?

Old 08-24-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfette13 View Post
Why do you use Veg*n instead of Vegan?
Answer is in my post just a few above this one

Old 08-25-2012, 06:05 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,298,817 times
It's really lame that you have to. Thankfully, down here in California, it's fairly infrequent that I get razzed for it, but I have relatives from elsewhere (WA, TX) who will NOT let me forget that I have a sissy, prissy, stupid, lame, liberal, crybaby, wussy, disgusting, weird, gross, nasty, pathetic, spineless dietary habit.

Nevermind that I'm also the healthiest, strongest, and most muscular guy in the family... but, whatever.

In all truth and honesty, I got much less friction from vegetarians for eating meat when I did so than I have gotten for not eating meat since I stopped. For every one time someone told me I was mean, or that I was eating something that was alive, or anything like that, I've had two people roll their eyes and level a criticism or mock me for my choice to not eat meat - often, from people I've known for months who had no idea that I was a vegetarian (meaning that I've never brought the subject up with them before).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food