U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 AM

18,581 posts, read 23,108,269 times

Advertisements

We have a fair and wonderful mod, Dark ; who works hard to keep peace around here.

We have vegans and vegetarians and the veg curious. We sometimes have people who want to get some ideas about how to reduce their consumption of meat for health reasons. I LOVE those last two groups!

But - if you hate vegetarian food, are not a veg*n, are not open minded and interested in this way of eating and living, which often interfaces with animal issues and environmental issues, then I wonder why you post here?

I am not the only one who has wondered. If high protein keeps you healthy - do that - eat those foods.

We veg*ns disagree about a lot among ourselves, but having enough protein is seldom one of them.

I wish we could have a free space to not be censored or scolded by non-veg*ns, or told that we are making others uncomfortable. Hunting, cattle ranching and a number of topics make me uncomfortably. The Rodeo and circis make me ill. Unless there is a specific question about for example "Do you think Bow Hunting is Humane?' or "What do you think of this event that happened at a Rodeo?" and I happen to notice it while scrolling down to my usual haunts, I stay away.

When I found out about animal "farming" in my 20s, I was appalled. Many of us want to let others who decide to post here that THIS IS WHY AND WHAT GOES ON!

Recently people suggested that we play a game of charades at at parties when we pass on the meat.
Why? Because it makes YOU uncomfortable?

At a dinner party I would never discuss what goes on at a factory farm. That is rude.

On a forum dedicated to veg*n eating? This might come up. A lot. Just as shooting animals or slaughtering my first chicken might be crowed about on other forums.

There is a Regular food forum too, if you want to avoid hearing about these things. One may avoid the word "Vegetarian" and post vegetable dishes to people who share your ideas about protein, rodeos, farming - what ever!

It's just an idea.

I am especially interested to know what other veg*ns feel about asking to be quiet or censored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 AM

2,726 posts, read 706,099 times
I couldn't agree more! We veggie people wouldn't be allowed to troll/chastise omni/carnivores on the regular eating boards---why can they come here and question/criticize us in a hostile (not curious) way?

I do agree that some non-veggies who come here are veggie-friendly or just curious in a positive way. But the ones who act like there is a contest to eat as much meat/animal products as possible and that someone who doesn't is unAmerican/unhealthy/crazy shouldn't be on here? It's like with a parenting forum...wouldn't it be a little weird/suspicious if a guy who wasn't a parent hung out on it?

I used to participate in a forum for highly sensitive people. Some of the sections were open to everyone...others were called "Safe Haven" and were only accessible to members. Wish we could do that here (only allowing true veggies and those who are sincerely veggie-friendly or veggie-curious in) , but I don't think CD is set up like that...

Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 AM

16,645 posts, read 26,605,538 times
The title of this post is the most important part: "Why do we need to defend ourselves?"

You DON'T need to defend yourselves, and I hate that you feel that you have to.

I hate coming onto this forum sometimes. I come here to learn stuff and to discover things to eat that are not meat-based. When I see the arguments, I cringe. There's no reason for this forum -- which is about FOOD -- to become political. But everyone has an opinion about everything... and some people just can't help "sharing" that opinion. Sadly.

I would suggest that you ignore the nay-sayers and the party-poopers, but I know how hard that is. It's frustrating when someone tells you that what you're doing is wrong, when you so whole-heartedly believe it's right.

Please keep posting here. I often get great ideas.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 AM

629 posts, read 1,014,516 times
I think the moderator, Dark, does a great job of keeping out the trolls
Because of that, this has quickly become my favorite veg forum
PPK is another good one, but i prefer the no-frills forum system that C-D uses

Old 08-14-2012, 08:24 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,479,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We have a fair and wonderful mod, Dark ; who works hard to keep peace around here.

We have vegans and vegetarians and the veg curious. We sometimes have people who want to get some ideas about how to reduce their consumption of meat for health reasons. I LOVE those last two groups!

But - if you hate vegetarian food, are not a veg*n, are not open minded and interested in this way of eating and living, which often interfaces with animal issues and environmental issues, then I wonder why you post here?

I am not the only one who has wondered. If high protein keeps you healthy - do that - eat those foods.

We veg*ns disagree about a lot among ourselves, but having enough protein is seldom one of them.

I wish we could have a free space to not be censored or scolded by non-veg*ns, or told that we are making others uncomfortable. Hunting, cattle ranching and a number of topics make me uncomfortably. The Rodeo and circis make me ill. Unless there is a specific question about for example "Do you think Bow Hunting is Humane?' or "What do you think of this event that happened at a Rodeo?" and I happen to notice it while scrolling down to my usual haunts, I stay away.

When I found out about animal "farming" in my 20s, I was appalled. Many of us want to let others who decide to post here that THIS IS WHY AND WHAT GOES ON!

Recently people suggested that we play a game of charades at at parties when we pass on the meat.
Why? Because it makes YOU uncomfortable?

At a dinner party I would never discuss what goes on at a factory farm. That is rude.

On a forum dedicated to veg*n eating? This might come up. A lot. Just as shooting animals or slaughtering my first chicken might be crowed about on other forums.

There is a Regular food forum too, if you want to avoid hearing about these things. One may avoid the word "Vegetarian" and post vegetable dishes to people who share your ideas about protein, rodeos, farming - what ever!

It's just an idea.

I am especially interested to know what other veg*ns feel about asking to be quiet or censored.

Sheena what a WONDERFUL post! You hit the nail right on the head! In the other (now closed, thankfully) subjects we were getting out of hand, thanks to Non-Veg*ns trying to accuse us of being the ones with the 'problem'.

Thank you for another thought-provoking, well written post to all of the Non-Veg*ns out there who have come to criticize!

I'm more than happy for somebody to ask me questions about my diet, my health or my knowledge (whether it be in real life or the boards)-I think curiosity and the ability to share wisdom is wonderful. But with that said, I won't tolerate being criticized in real life or through any other medium for living the way I think is correct.

I don't force feed other people Tofu or start rambling on to omnivores without cause about the fact that I believe my diet and ethics are the fair and right way to live... and I don't expect them to force feed me Steak and metaphorically shove the benefits of omnivorism down my throat.

Myself and other members of my family have done enough research ( my Great Uncle included- who makes no secret of being a Vegetarian) to know that a Veg*n diet can be a healthy and physically and emotionally fulfilling one.

This subforum is in place, as Sheena said, to bring together Vegans, Vegetarians and Veg-Curious folk who wish to share ideas about our diet, recipes, health and way of life. It is not an outlet for those with animosity toward Veg*ns to express their disdain. I'm sure there are other places for that!

Great Job Again Sheena!

Amitiés,
-A

Old 08-14-2012, 08:28 AM

34,885 posts, read 31,933,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Sheena what a WONDERFUL post! You hit the nail right on the head! In the other (now closed, thankfully) subjects we were getting out of hand, thanks to Non-Veg*ns trying to accuse us of being the ones with the 'problem'.

Thank you for another thought-provoking, well written post to all of the Non-Veg*ns out there who have come to criticize!

I'm more than happy for somebody to ask me questions about my diet, my health or my knowledge (whether it be in real life or the boards)-I think curiosity and the ability to share wisdom is wonderful. But with that said, I won't tolerate being criticized in real life or through any other medium for living the way I think is correct.

I don't force feed other people Tofu or start rambling on to omnivores without cause about the fact that I believe my diet and ethics are the fair and right way to live...
and I don't expect them to force feed me Steak and metaphorically shove the benefits of omnivorism down my throat.

Myself and other members of my family have done enough research ( my Great Uncle included- who makes no secret of being a Vegetarian) to know that a Veg*n diet can be a healthy and physically and emotionally fulfilling one.

This subforum is in place, as Sheena said, to bring together Vegans, Vegetarians and Veg-Curious folk who wish to share ideas about our diet, recipes, health and way of life. It is not an outlet for those with animosity toward Veg*ns to express their disdain. I'm sure there are other places for that!

Great Job Again Sheena!

Amitiés,
-A
You don't but a lot do.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,445,210 times
I would like to crusade for a "Nutrition" subforum on either the Foods or Health and Wellness forum. Then folks could discuss nutrition in its own venue & not on here. I've requested it once but maybe should again.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 AM

12,544 posts, read 12,456,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You don't but a lot do.
If a veggie goes to an omnivore board and starts proselytizing, that is rude and should be nipped in the bud. But this subforum is veggie turf. If omnivores don't like our ethics, they are free to leave and go back to their boards and talk about what they eat and why. No one is forcing them to be here, and if they don't like the answers they receive when they ask their questions, that is just too bad. They don't have to approve, but it behooves them to accept what we say our reasons are because they are the ones who asked in the first place.

Unfortunately, there are omnivores who come here with a mind to harass: It becomes apparent very quickly that they ask their questions as a way of setting veggies up, knowing full well why veggies choose to become vegetarian, with the intent to castigate or quarrel with veggies who take the time to answer questions. I just don't buy that any adult in their 30s, 40s, or 50s and beyond who hasn't been living under a rock for the past 15 years has never heard the reasons why other adults choose to be vegetarians. News about factory farming, hormone use in livestock, contaminated animal products, and how vegetarianism can be a healthy alternative is in the media nearly every day, along with movies like Food, Inc. and ever-present ads created and circulated in the media and on the Internet by groups like PETA. Some omnivores come here knowing all of this, and are just itching for a fight. It's easy to see who they are by how they respond to the answers veggies give them.

Well, maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't see this subforum as a place to debate. I see it as a place where like-minded individuals can share ideas, recipes, and news that interests them; answer questions from new veggies, people who are considering vegetarianism, or the genuinely and sincerely curious; and maybe even help fellow veggies who are having a craving for steak. The way I see it, omnivores wishing for a debate should go to the Great Debates forum and ask veggies to discuss the issues there.

And now I point you to the tagline under my name.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 AM

34,885 posts, read 31,933,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
If a veggie goes to an omnivore board and starts proselytizing, that is rude and should be nipped in the bud. But this subforum is veggie turf. If omnivores don't like our ethics, they are free to leave and go back to their boards and talk about what they eat and why. No one is forcing them to be here, and if they don't like the answers they receive when they ask their questions, that is just too bad. They don't have to approve, but it behooves them to accept what we say our reasons are because they are the ones who asked in the first place.

Unfortunately, there are omnivores who come here with a mind to harass: It becomes apparent very quickly that they ask their questions as a way of setting veggies up, knowing full well why veggies choose to become vegetarian, with the intent to castigate or quarrel with veggies who take the time to answer questions. I just don't buy that any adult in their 30s, 40s, or 50s and beyond who hasn't been living under a rock for the past 15 years has never heard the reasons why other adults choose to be vegetarians. News about factory farming, hormone use in livestock, contaminated animal products, and how vegetarianism can be a healthy alternative is in the media nearly every day, along with movies like Food, Inc. and ever-present ads created and circulated in the media and on the Internet by groups like PETA. Some omnivores come here knowing all of this, and are just itching for a fight. It's easy to see who they are by how they respond to the answers veggies give them.

Well, maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't see this subforum as a place to debate. I see it as a place where like-minded individuals can share ideas, recipes, and news that interests them; answer questions from new veggies, people who are considering vegetarianism, or the genuinely and sincerely curious; and maybe even help fellow veggies who are having a craving for steak. The way I see it, omnivores wishing for a debate should go to the Great Debates forum and ask veggies to discuss the issues there.

And now I point you to the tagline under my name.
I'm guilty of posting in here by accident. Someone ripped me up on a post about hunting so I clicked on the link to all of their posts under their profile to see what I was dealing with. I noticed one was hypocritical (to say the least) so I replied to it without noticing what forum it was in.
So, in summary sometimes its accidental and a little self policing would probably help us all to get along.

Have a great day.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM

18,581 posts, read 23,108,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You don't but a lot do.
A lot do WHAT? You may find people PASSIONATE ABOUT NOT EATING MEAT HERE.
Why should that surprise or offend you?

On a gun forum you find people passionate about Guns. If you say you are against them, you will get BLASTED!!!! (metaphorically one would hope)

So on this forum you will fing Vegan, Vegetarian and Veg Curious people.

And we are passionate - just as those on the "preparing for the end of the world are there to exchange ideas.

If you visited that forum and sneered at these people they might be angry. And they'd have a right to be.
If you asked in a genuine way "why do you think we need to be prepared?" You will get answers and I'm sure that they would be scary and not pleasant. They would be descriptive and, perhaps morbid.

It's conjecture - but who knows? They could be right.

What happens on a "farm" or a slaughter house is not conjecture or up for debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food