Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times

Advertisements

Hi - today I bought my first tofu - I order it quite often when we eat out and love it. When looking for recipes using tofu, there seems to be only recipes that call for soy sauce or other Asian ingredients. I love Asian inspired recipes but am wondering if any of you make tofu recipes that don't include soy sauce, ginger, etc.? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 04:48 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
One of our favorites is tofu fajitas...so easy!

First drain the tofu. If I don't have nigari tofu, I wrap the tofu in a clean towel & set a heavy cast iron pot to press out extra moisture.

Then slice the tofu into small pieces.

Then I stir-fry in olive oil sliced green peppers, sliced onions & tofu. Serve in warmed tortillas with salsa. Yum!

Old 08-20-2012, 05:07 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
I agree. I love Asian foods but I can't live on Asian Foods. For some reason, many people associate vegetarian with Asian and East Indian flavors. Here are some other ideas.

1. there is a post about how to correctly saute tofu. Read mine. Serve as suggested.
With potatoes, rice, a mushroom gravy, and a veggie.

2 Veggie quiche

3. Pasta shells stuffed with Tofu

4. Tofu egg less salad

If you like any, let me know. There are more where those came from.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,998 times
I suggest some Southern Fried Tofu! You can find the recipe here!
Pair it with some Mashed Potatoes, Corn on the Cob, Green Beans, etc like I do... it's divine!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 PM

Hey thanks!!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
There are a bunch of dishes that can make use of tofu. Here's some from my absolute favorite vegetarian chef in the entire world:

Tofu puttanesca (uses grated cheese, so not vegan but you could probably substitute if you want to go vegan on it)
Claires Corner Copia - recipes and tips

Here's some grilled lemon tofu kabobs:

Tofu rancheros (can use eggs or tofu - 2nd recipe down):

You -could- just buy one of her cookbooks - they're available on Amazon.

Happy eating!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:50 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. I love Asian foods but I can't live on Asian Foods. For some reason, many people associate vegetarian with Asian and East Indian flavors. Here are some other ideas.

1. there is a post about how to correctly saute tofu. Read mine. Serve as suggested.
With potatoes, rice, a mushroom gravy, and a veggie.

2 Veggie quiche

3. Pasta shells stuffed with Tofu

4. Tofu egg less salad

If you like any, let me know. There are more where those came from.
In religion, vegetarianism is offered as a major alternative in Buddhism. Not surprisingly, Buddhism was widely recognized in those mentioned areas. As a Chinese myself born into a meat-eating Buddhist family, even they would go vegetarian for some periods of time. I remember they were taught that the gods preferred to eat plant-based diets, which is why it's so important.

But there are some sandwiches, wraps, and pastas that have always offered non-meat options for Americans. I saw many grill restaurants and salad places here that don't sell meat at all. Vegetarianism hasn't always been associated with Asians/East Indians.

These will make you a good salad:

http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/g...essing-153524/
http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/c...d-tofu-153029/

Kinda random:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maind...fu-Recipes.htm

Another thing that you can do with it is experiment with salt, pepper, tomatoes, lemon juice, and chunks of tofu placed onto wheat bread. It makes a really healthy and satisfying sandwich. The only issue is that it tends to become difficult to hold and eat. If you don't put enough filling, it's nasty. If you put too much filling, it usually ends up breaking or spilling all over your lap.

EDIT: Something like this page was what I had in mind, although I don't eat onions. You'd also have to perfect the art of slicing tofu thin enough to squeeze between the bread:

http://www.wholeliving.com/183168/ch...ocado-sandwich

Last edited by Elle Oh Elle; 08-21-2012 at 02:01 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,281,136 times
Default Sandwich / pita filling

Mash tofu with fork. Add mayonaise, salt, pepper and curry powder to taste. Also can add chopped up chives or minced spring onions, garlic.
Eat as sandwich filling - lovely in pita or on regular bread with rocket, lettuce, tomato slices, alfalfa sprouts, watercress, etc. Really delicious!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:48 AM

Thanks for all the recipes/links - I really appreciate it and will give them a try. Last night I used coconut oil (tiny bit) to brown my tofu....do any of you use coconut oil?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Hi - today I bought my first tofu - I order it quite often when we eat out and love it. When looking for recipes using tofu, there seems to be only recipes that call for soy sauce or other Asian ingredients. I love Asian inspired recipes but am wondering if any of you make tofu recipes that don't include soy sauce, ginger, etc.? Thanks!
- Tofu scramble (similar to scrambled eggs)
- And one of my favorite websites has a ton of recipes that I use often (since I don't own cookbooks):
Our Favorite Tofu Recipes at Epicurious.com

Happy cooking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food