U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:03 PM

8,698 posts, read 11,806,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I didn't think you were joking either. Before I knew you were joking, I thought you were making fun of him. A teasing smirk or twinkling eye doesn't come through a message board very well. I'm glad it's all cleared up though.
Assuming the worst eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 05:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,294,001 times
I saw the humor in it. But what do I know - I'm an omnivore and not qualified to um...not get jokes?

Last edited by AnonChick; 08-31-2012 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: ps - that's a joke.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,124,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Of course, that was the joke. He already knew it was olive oil. He was already aware of it. Sure you see it now. I don't think you did see it, otherwise you would have seen the humor. The unexpectedness is integral in the humor. You've heard the saying about having to draw a picture, or having to explain the joke?
Perhaps to avoid misunderstanding in the future, you might not want to write things like:

"Oh he about hurled thinking he just ate a ton of veggies that had been soaking in bacon grease."

Because why would he be "thinking he just ate a ton of veggies that had been soaking in bacon grease" if he already knew they weren't?

But, OK -- you win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I saw the humor in it. But what do I know - I'm an omnivore and not qualified to um...not get jokes?
You win, too, AnonChick and I am, as always, overwhelmed by the enormity of your incredible awesomeness.

Any chance we can get back to the topic of the thread now?

Thanks!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-31-2012 at 05:33 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 05:25 PM

5,340 posts, read 8,014,549 times
Quote:
Of course, that was the joke. He already knew it was olive oil. He was already aware of it. Sure you see it now. I don't think you did see it, otherwise you would have seen the humor. The unexpectedness is integral in the humor. You've heard the saying about having to draw a picture, or having to explain the joke?

If someone tells you a joke, do they have to preface it with clarification that what you are about to hear, is a joke? With a developed sense of humor, that would be superfluous, and it also would ruin the setup. I just have to conclude that it got past you.

A defensive posture would prevent you from seeing the humor. It is sad that you didn't think it was funny. Everyone in the kitchen got it without being told that it was a joke. It was self evident. And since a picture has been drawn for you, I hope you can see the humor in it.
I didn't get the "joke" either........you said he about hurled, thinking he ate a ton of veggies that had been soaking in bacon grease."

When I read it I was thinking how upset I would be if someone served veggies in bacon grease to me.

After reading your posts again I think you didn't intend your first post to be a joke. Your next post was an attempt to to turn it into a joke after you saw that no one else saw the humor in it.
Maybe next time you could tell someone allergic to shellfish that you put shrimp in their food.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:38 PM

5,340 posts, read 8,014,549 times
Quote:
Just stop it. You couldn't be more wrong.
I guess are all wrong then.

Back to the topic, I LOVE it when we run out of vegan food. It's a great "problem" because it means non-vegans got to sample some delicious meatless food.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:38 PM

8,698 posts, read 11,806,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I guess are all wrong then.
Not all. You know, I was even agreeing with your OP whole heartedly, and concerned that they ate all the vegan food, then relating a similar story - the vegan food winning out, my vegan food! And you reply with that?

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-31-2012 at 05:47 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 06:21 PM

18,591 posts, read 23,151,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
As I have mentioned before, most of my friends are vegan or vegetarian, although not all of their extended families are. So when we planned a large dinner for an event we advised the caterer that at least half of the food should be vegan.

The event hall was set up beautifully, with separate tables for appetizers, entrees, salads, breads and desserts. On each table the vegan items were labeled with "Vegan" tags. Vegan appetizers, vegan entrees, vegan salads, vegan breads, vegan desserts. All clearly identified.

So.............who ate the vegan food? The vegan food was completely consumed, not a crumb left on any of the vegan platters, bins and baskets. Yet there was a good amount of non-vegan leftovers.

We actually ran out of vegan food, because nearly all of the meat-eaters were happily eating the vegan food. And we were thrilled that they were! We heard so many comments about how tasty it was, how surprised everyone was, how much they enjoyed sampling the vegan food, how they came back for seconds, and how they could see themselves eating a vegan diet.

We then had an excellent opportunity to share recipes, tips, titles of our favorite cookbooks and even a copy of Forks Over Knives and The China Study that one of my friends happened to have in her car.

An enjoyable and educational meal was enjoyed by all.

This seems to happen frequently. Our food is just SO GOOD!

Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 AM

1,760 posts, read 3,247,997 times
It is nice when meat eaters enjoy vegan and/or vegetarian food. You don't have to kill an animal to eat.

But I found the "joke" tasteless to use a bad pun.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,294,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
It is nice when meat eaters enjoy vegan and/or vegetarian food. You don't have to kill an animal to eat.

But I found the "joke" tasteless to use a bad pun.
I feel this is a typical comment - referring to omnivores as "meat eaters" and commenting when we eat things that aren't made out of meat (or have meat as one of the ingredients). This is my observation, and perhaps if you understood more about what an omnivore is, you wouldn't be so surprised when we enjoy non-meat foods and empty your fruit bowl at the party.

Omnivores, by definition, are perfectly capable of enjoying a variety of types of food. This doesn't mean we only eat meat. We are not carnivores. Some of us like meat more, some less, but as members of the same species, we are capable of enjoying, and benefitting, from both meat and non-meat foods.

When we omnivores see something we believe might taste good, we're not looking to see if it has meat in it - or doesn't have meat in it. We're looking to see if it might taste good. So if I see a serving platter of crudites and fresh-mashed hummus, with a gravy-boat of tahini and pita bread halves on another platter, I'm not going to say "eewww - no meat, don't bother with that!" I'm going to wonder, "did they add oil to the tahini? I hope not. Is that hummus going to be too garlicky for me? Did they add some lemon wedges so I can sprinkle a little more on my scoop of hummus? Is that authentic syrian bread, or that some commercial brand?"

Of -course- we'll empty your meatless, dairy-free mushroom and green bean casserole, if it tastes good. The only reasons you -should- be surprised, is if a) you're a lousy cook and only brought it to get the stench out of your own kitchen, or b) you aren't understanding that omnivores eat meatless, dairy-free foods too.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:26 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,124,494 times
Quote:
I feel this is a typical comment - referring to omnivores as "meat eaters" and commenting when we eat things that aren't made out of meat (or have meat as one of the ingredients). This is my observation, and perhaps if you understood more about what an omnivore is, you wouldn't be so surprised when we enjoy non-meat foods and empty your fruit bowl at the party.
Not sure what she doesn't understand. She used the term "meat eaters" and you confirmed that omnivores are, ummmmmmm, meat eaters. Where's the confusion?

Quote:
Omnivores, by definition, are perfectly capable of enjoying a variety of types of food. This doesn't mean we only eat meat. We are not carnivores. Some of us like meat more, some less, but as members of the same species, we are capable of enjoying, and benefitting, from both meat and non-meat foods.
Where did she say that omnivores eat only meat?

(Oh, and vegetarians are also perfectly capable of enjoying a variety of types of foods. Just not meat. )

Quote:
When we omnivores see something we believe might taste good, we're not looking to see if it has meat in it - or doesn't have meat in it. We're looking to see if it might taste good. So if I see a serving platter of crudites and fresh-mashed hummus, with a gravy-boat of tahini and pita bread halves on another platter, I'm not going to say "eewww - no meat, don't bother with that!" I'm going to wonder, "did they add oil to the tahini? I hope not. Is that hummus going to be too garlicky for me? Did they add some lemon wedges so I can sprinkle a little more on my scoop of hummus? Is that authentic syrian bread, or that some commercial brand?"

Of -course- we'll empty your meatless, dairy-free mushroom and green bean casserole, if it tastes good. The only reasons you -should- be surprised, is if a) you're a lousy cook and only brought it to get the stench out of your own kitchen, or b) you aren't understanding that omnivores eat meatless, dairy-free foods too.
Again, where's the "surprise" or lack of understanding? The vegetarians responding in this thread have all said that they're *happy* the meat eaters ..... oh, excuse me ..... "omnivores" enjoyed the meat-free offerings. See -- here's what the OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999
We actually ran out of vegan food, because nearly all of the meat-eaters were happily eating the vegan food. And we were thrilled that they were!
(I added the bold to make it easier to see. )

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food