Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:14 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,207,604 times

Advertisements

Dark of the Moon is correct. I did not refer to omnivores as meat eaters.

The traditional American meal is centered around a meat dish. Sure there are exceptions. But go into most restaurants and entrees are meat, poultry and seafood dishes with sides. which are typically vegetables. Holiday meals in most households center around a meat dish such as a turkey, a ham, a leg of lamb or a roast of some sort.

Meat comes from a dead animal. The animal has usually been slaughtered to be carved up for consumption, but the fact remains that it was once a living creature before it wound up in an omnivore's stomach.

Anonchick, I hope you continue to enjoy tasty vegetarian and vegan dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 07:30 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,812,223 times
I used to be a manager at a car dealership and every weekend, we'd buy lunch for everyone. Usually, this worked out to pizzas, tons of In-N-Out, some trays of Chinese food, etc. I remember how I'd go to order pizza, and everyone would be like "DUDE MEAT-LOVERS MEGASUPREME MONDO CARNE WITH EXTRA PEPPERONI AND SAUSAGE!!!" I'd order eight pizzas, two of which were cheese or veggie, and the remainder of which were meat. The first one to go was always cheese, then the veggie, and then people would start on the meat pizzas. When I finally got sick of not getting any lunch, I started ordering four cheese pizzas and four meat pizzas. There was mutiny. "WHAT THE HELL MAN? UUUUUUUGH!!!" But the four cheese pizzas would still be gone before a second slice of pepperoni got taken.

I cook for friends and coworkers compulsively, and everything I make is vegetarian; a good amount of it is entirely vegan, too. Initially there was some "eeew" factor, but now? Everyone asks for certain dishes and two coworkers have become vegetarian

Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,902,363 times
Ugh, just had this happen a couple weeks ago, TWICE. On one hand, I'm glad when people love our type of food. But I have two sons, and I need to feed them, so sometimes I just want to yell "Back Off!" We had an end of season baseball party at the local restuarant with pizzas. Luckily, my niece works there, because the chef said he was only going to make pepperoni pizzas "because that is what kids like." She told him there would be vegetarian kids, so he had to make cheese as well. I kind of freaked, hoping he wouldn't just make one, because they ALWAYS eat the cheese! Unfortunately, he did only make one. However, we have learned from the past and are not afraid to elbow our way to the front. They each got two pieces. My husband and I didn't eat anything.

The next day was baking club, which I bring my boys to as well. A lady was going to show us how to make periogis. At first she was only going to make meat ones. Thank goodness the gal in charge asked her to make some potato ones. And sure enough, there were plenty of meat ones left, and my sons and I got one potato one each. (Thankfully, we were able to make some more at the very end...) On the positive side, the ladies were all discussing possible fillings and they all swooned over the idea of butternut squash!

Old 09-03-2012, 12:00 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,679,352 times
As a vegetarian, I have learned that where there's variety involved, if I want more than one piece of pizza, mini-sandwich, etc., it's often best to just take two right at the start, as the observations here are spot-on: the vegetarian stuff always seems to go first! When I do the ordering (and have full decision power!) I always order more of the vegetarian (or in the case of pizza, plain cheese) as almost everyone can (and apparently DOES) eat that.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
Now days, there are many vegetarians, my son does catering for events and always has vegetarian options. He has several menus, exclusively vegetarian, and even has foods prepared on special cookware, not touched by animal products, because he thinks it tastes more "pure" that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food