U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:31 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,925,784 times

Advertisements

We don't need extra oils in our diets - all they do is add extra calories that most of us don't need. Please see Forks Over Knives and you will understand. If you eat a variety of fruits and vegetables, beans and legumes, a few nuts, avocados, grains, tofu, etc. - you are getting plenty of fats in your diet.

Olive oil is 125 calories for 1 tablespoon (I just verfied this) - so if you are using 1/4 cup of oil to saute vegetables, you are adding hundreds of calories needlessly. I saute in vegetable stock and it works beautifully.

Grandview Gloria - I am not "depriving myself of oils." I get all the fat I need straight from the variety of natural foods that I eat without adding needless calories. Do the research and you will see - no added oils are needed for health as long as a balanced diet is being eaten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 12:04 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,316,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
It seems healthier to include olive oil than to use high sodium vegetable bouillon, in my humble opinion. I consider olive oil, walnuts, avocados, almonds, flaxseed, etc. to all contain healthy fats.
Those "healthy" fats are totally unhealthy as soon as you heat them on the stove. Only oxidized fats raise your cholesterol, and only the fats that are naturally solid at room temperature -- without hydrogenation -- are resistant to oxidation at high temperatures. That's the reason for the typical progression you see in people with high cholesterol -- they change to liquid oils only and their cholesterol skyrockets. At that point the doctor says "well then, it's probably a genetic condition" and puts you on tablets.

When you bake, use coconut oil. When you fry, steam-fry using bouillon or water.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:24 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,454,430 times
Luckily,my husband & I both have very low cholesterol, have no weight problems & only cook with olive oil on low, safe heat. Most of our olive oil goes on big, vegetable salads. I prefer not to use the saturated fat of coconut oil- too heavy for my personal taste.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,454,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post

There are also theories that, the less you eat (within reasonable limitations, one would assume), the longer you will live. If food is a very important part of your pleasure in life, I guess it could be argued that, even if the theory is true, the deprivation would not be worth it. Personally, I have things I want to do with my life (conduct orchestras) and I'm not happy with my attachment to food.
It would be interesting to look at some of the longest-living cultures, such as the Japanese, to compare caloric intake.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Luckily,my husband & I both have very low cholesterol, have no weight problems & only cook with olive oil on low, safe heat. Most of our olive oil goes on big, vegetable salads. I prefer not to use the saturated fat of coconut oil- too heavy for my personal taste.
Coconut oil can raise your good cholesterol. Although coconut oil contains saturated fats, it's not the bad kind you normally think of. In fact, coconut oil can raise your good HDL cholesterol and give you a dose of antioxidants as well. Coconut oil is one of the healthiest of oils to cook with (unfiltered virgin or extra virgin). It is particularly good at helping to regulate blood sugar. I love the way it tastes although it is not appropriate for all recipes. If and when I ever need to use a little oil - coconut oil will be what I reach for....a little goes a long way.

More info about coconut oil.

The Benefits of Coconut Oil | The Dr. Oz Show

Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 AM

65 posts, read 130,164 times
I'm one of those rare people that cannot do well without enough of some fats/oils - even when I was eating meat and some dairy. I lose weight at the drop of a hat and believe me, when I get too thin - EVERYONE comments! For this reason I do count calories to make sure I am getting enough. I need certain oils (not alot, but a couple tablespoons of some) to give me that extra calories I need. If I eat too much fiber or grains I get "clogged" up (for a better term). So I eat a moderate amount of those and more vegetables - unfortunately vegetables or salad without dressing/oil does not provide very many calories for me I did have to also resort to making my own salad dressing by using one tablespoon veganaise (which I love by the way), 1 tbsp olive oil and some white balsamic vinegar - not quite the Ranch Dressing I use to love, but still tastes great! Was using Grapeseed oil which tastes better than olive, but then I heard that oil isn't good for some reason. The vegan ranch dressings I've tried aren't too bad, but just don't quite cut it for me. I eat at least 1/2 of an avocado every day and I also take 1 gelcap of Flaxseed oil daily - not sure if this is bad or not?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,558,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyD View Post
... I eat at least 1/2 of an avocado every day and I also take 1 gelcap of Flaxseed oil daily - not sure if this is bad or not?
It sounds like you've found a good balance with what works for you, so you should keep doing that.

There will always be people who believe in this or that and there are always new fads that come and go, but ultimately THE authority is YOU. Everybody is a little different, and what works for each person is a little different.

Find what works for you, and then keep doing that!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Quite a few vegans and vegetarians I have met are overweight. You can still eat lots of fat, bread, baked goods and sugar and overly caloric meals and snacks if you are vegan or vegetarian. A friend went vegan about a year ago and is now heavier than ever before. Having the opinion that if a meal or food is vegan then it is therefore automatically healthy and you can eat as much as you want, will put pounds on in a hurry. I look at vegan recipes online and many of them are loaded with unnecessary extra fat and calories.

Aso, a lot of vegetarians think cheese is a vegetable.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Aso, a lot of vegetarians think cheese is a vegetable.
Exactly! Just because you cut out meat and/or all animal products does not mean you can't overeat and become overweight or obese.....cheese is the one think I miss and no vegan cheese even comes close to the real taste of cheese.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
It would be interesting to look at some of the longest-living cultures, such as the Japanese, to compare caloric intake.

Have you read The China Study?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food