U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Giethoorn, Netherlands
629 posts, read 1,014,800 times
Reputation: 738

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
With my long and winding relationship with veg'anism over a 40 year span, starting before the first Moosewood cookbook (1977 y'all!), and reaching through working professionally as a raw food chef... and beyond... one of the things that I've always wondered about is why nearly 2/3 of all veg'ans (according to a Vegetarian Times survey, 59%), are women?

Don't worry, I'm a feminist... and I have been since the day my daughter was born... but it's completely obvious to me that in general men are just a lot less interested in veg'anism than women are. And that has always puzzled me.
There is no doubt in my mind that it is purely gender-based cultural pressure. It's just not seen as "manly." When I first became vegan, some girls I dated even insulted me by saying "oh, stop being such a p***y and just eat some steak."

It became even more pronounced when I spent some time living in Australia. The entire culture is meat-based and the gender pressure among males is the strongest I've ever seen. I would estimate that over 90% of the vegans here are women.

This saddens me, and is just one of many sociological hurdles that need to be overcome for humanity to evolve into its next stage of maturity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM
 
130 posts, read 365,903 times
Reputation: 258
I became vegetarian when I became a fur mom. The adoption wasn't planned, he just showed up and was a shelter boy. I didn't even like felines and I had no idea how to take care of a kitten so I read books on it and was inspired to stop eating meat. Best decision I ever made and even though my precious feline boy is gone from this world now, I will continue to honor the paw prints left in my heart from the 14 years of joy he brought into my life. This works for me. I love all animals but have a special pull towards babies that purr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 23,536,189 times
Reputation: 10573
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that it is purely gender-based cultural pressure. It's just not seen as "manly." When I first became vegan, some girls I dated even insulted me by saying "oh, stop being such a p***y and just eat some steak."
OMG, yes, I ran into a couple of those myself.

But the funny thing is, mostly it worked the other way around for me... almost every veg'an workshop, every class, every forum I participated in, I was in a very distinct gender minority, often the only man in the group, and I was frequently the object of a bit of special attention. Had I been available for a relationship at the time it was quite clear to me that there were a *lot* of women who were looking for a like minded partner. To be frank, it was a common complaint in those groups that there were not more veg'an men to be found. And I gave them the same advice I give now... if you want a good veg'an man as a partner, find a good omnivore man and convert him. That's what She did.

Quote:
It became even more pronounced when I spent some time living in Australia. The entire culture is meat-based and the gender pressure among males is the strongest I've ever seen. I would estimate that over 90% of the vegans here are women.
I don't know, but I have no reason not to believe you. The Vegetarian Times proportion for the US as 2/3 actually seems low to me. Most of the men I've known who were involved in veg'anism seem to have come to it from the yoga communities.

Quote:
This saddens me, and is just one of many sociological hurdles that need to be overcome for humanity to evolve into its next stage of maturity.
I wonder... and if I were looking for a research project this might well be one I'd pursue... if there might not be something biological at play. I have no evidence, other than the known fact that a large number of women adopt veg'anism during early adolescence, while few young men do, but I wonder if women... who were the traditional gatherers of roots and tubers and nuts and seeds... might have some physiological predisposition to eating plant foods than men... the traditional hunters, the ones who brought home the meat. It's an intriguing question to me, and one I've seen very little investigation into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 AM
 
915 posts, read 1,836,177 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
With my long and winding relationship with veg'anism over a 40 year span, starting before the first Moosewood cookbook (1977 y'all!), and reaching through working professionally as a raw food chef... and beyond... one of the things that I've always wondered about is why nearly 2/3 of all veg'ans (according to a Vegetarian Times survey, 59%), are women?

Don't worry, I'm a feminist... and I have been since the day my daughter was born... but it's completely obvious to me that in general men are just a lot less interested in veg'anism than women are. And that has always puzzled me.

Men are enculturated by their fathers and even by their mothers, to be tough, not to show their feelings, to get up from a painful event and go on without crying or even showing it matters. There are some genetic differences in the sexes but a lot of it is cultural. Males and females among animals (and man is an animal, after all), do have some very profound differences, due to their genetic makeup (I see it in my pets and my students), but the enculturation can be changed. It's probably very complicated.

Gary Yourofsky is a pretty tough guy, with big muscles and not afraid of going to jail:

Gary Yourofsky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and yet he's profoundly vegan/animal rights in his perspective. Cute as hell, too. My kind of guy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 10:34 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,906 posts, read 36,195,563 times
Reputation: 42502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-BG View Post
I became vegetarian when I became a fur mom. The adoption wasn't planned, he just showed up and was a shelter boy. I didn't even like felines and I had no idea how to take care of a kitten so I read books on it and was inspired to stop eating meat. Best decision I ever made and even though my precious feline boy is gone from this world now, I will continue to honor the paw prints left in my heart from the 14 years of joy he brought into my life. This works for me. I love all animals but have a special pull towards babies that purr.
Cats are carnivores, so just wondering ... what does your cat eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 AM
 
915 posts, read 1,836,177 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Cats are carnivores, so just wondering ... what does your cat eat?

This is a very controversial issue. The lady who is the head of PETA (and I believe started PETA), insists that cats can be fed vegetarian fare, but other ethical vegans/animal rights persons (very well known and prolific ones, among whom is a university professor), make exception and feed their beloved cats meat, despite everything. Personally, I'm not willing to risk my cat's life by not feeding him canned cat food with meat in it, despite my AR/vegan politics.

A long time ago I posed this question in this forum, and a lot of people rushed to assure me that if I tried that, it might kill or injure my cat. Dogs, yes; if you're willing to make the stuff, dogs apparently can do well on a vegetarian regime. But not cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 11:02 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,906 posts, read 36,195,563 times
Reputation: 42502
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
This is a very controversial issue. The lady who is the head of PETA (and I believe started PETA), insists that cats can be fed vegetarian fare, but other ethical vegans/animal rights persons (very well known and prolific ones, among whom is a university professor), make exception and feed their beloved cats meat, despite everything. Personally, I'm not willing to risk my cat's life by not feeding him canned cat food with meat in it, despite my AR/vegan politics.

A long time ago I posed this question in this forum, and a lot of people rushed to assure me that if I tried that, it might kill or injure my cat. Dogs, yes; if you're willing to make the stuff, dogs apparently can do well on a vegetarian regime. But not cats.

Thanks. I have two cats myself as well as a flock of chickens, who eat bugs. It's something I think about but haven't fully settled for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 11:11 AM
 
915 posts, read 1,836,177 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Thanks. I have two cats myself as well as a flock of chickens, who eat bugs. It's something I think about but haven't fully settled for myself.
My take on it, is that maybe it has something to do with, to avoid being specieist, we have to allow that the animals get to do what they do. That doesn't resolve the issues we have with factory farming, the damage that does to the environment, or the health benefits to humans in a plant based diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 02:03 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,586 posts, read 23,117,825 times
Reputation: 48552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I always wondered why a person moves towards not eating meat. I am not a vegetarian but for some reason, almost every year for about 3 months at a time, meat disgusts me.

The first time it happened was almost 4 years ago and I ate a burger or something and I just felt ill. Then I was in Pennsylvania at a huuuge butcher shop and I had to come out of there running.

I end up trying to find ways to supplement for protein in my diet and eat a lot of beans, bean burritos. I'll eat veggie burgers and I like them pretty much.

I have always had a problem with preparation of meat. Really grosses me out quite a bit, especially chicken. I don't like even picking the package up in the grocery store.

So, why are you a vegetarian?

This is not to offend anyone, btw.
No offense taken! I can relate to what you are saying. Long before I became a Vegetarian, I found the preparation of meat to be disgusting.

For a while I ate only boneless skinless chicken breasts but they started to gross me out also.

As a child I became upset when I realized that lamb chops really were made out of lambs! I was only 3 or 4 at the time and the next time my mom served them, she called them "meat chops" so I didn't make the connection.

Later on my younger brother who was in HS in the late 80s introduced me to the Smiths song "Meat is Murder" and started giving me information about animal slaughter. It was hard to find back then, but the more I read, the more horrified I became.

I couldn't believe what animals had to endure to become food on my plate. I wanted no part of it.
NONE! I also stopped buying cosmetics and detergents tested on animals.

Now we have raised two children in a meat free home. Both teenagers. I feel fine and look almost a decade younger than my peers!

Vegetarianism and veganism are becoming more wide spread and it is no longer "weird" to be a vegetarian. Even Walmart sells veggie burgers, veggie hot dogs, veggie chopped meat and makes it's own brand of soy milk.

My son who is 18 and a strict vegan, went away to college this year and there is a vegan and vegetarian option at every meal offered at his university. And this is not a counter culture private college catering to the whims of the children of "rich hippies" -it's a normal State University.

So my main reason is animal welfare and the cruelty involved with meat. Even the fact that it disgusted me, was not enough to stop me. I just didn't know what else people ate.

Now there are so many choices available everywhere!

Still, the task of becoming a vegetarian can seem daunting, and if you need help you are sure to find it on this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 02:09 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,586 posts, read 23,117,825 times
Reputation: 48552
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
This is a very controversial issue. The lady who is the head of PETA (and I believe started PETA), insists that cats can be fed vegetarian fare, but other ethical vegans/animal rights persons (very well known and prolific ones, among whom is a university professor), make exception and feed their beloved cats meat, despite everything. Personally, I'm not willing to risk my cat's life by not feeding him canned cat food with meat in it, despite my AR/vegan politics.

A long time ago I posed this question in this forum, and a lot of people rushed to assure me that if I tried that, it might kill or injure my cat. Dogs, yes; if you're willing to make the stuff, dogs apparently can do well on a vegetarian regime. But not cats.

Ingrid Newkirk - "the lady who is the head of PETA" is a very strange women and holds a variety of shocking and bizarre opinions. PETA is not the squeaky clean organization that some people think, although the initial information that I read that led me to become a vegetarian was from PETA. So the do some good.

I have one cat and I feel her regular food. I think cats are carnivorous and although we all dread feeding her , we think it's best.

My dogs eat vegetarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:32 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top