U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM

34,932 posts, read 31,961,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBinkies View Post
You expressed perfectly how I feel about the whole matter If other people want to eat meat that's their choice. Me, i couldn't kill an animal unless it were a matter of life & death. So I don't feel right about buying a dead animal in a grocery store that someone else has killed for me....EXCEPT when it comes to pet food. I figure dogs & cats are meat eaters by nature. If they were out in the wild they'd be killing birds, mice & rabbits. So I buy my dog, & bought my cats, pet food containing meat. But somehow, ever since I adopted a rabbit, I haven't been able to bring myself to buy dog or cat food containing...rabbit
I'm pretty sure if YOU were out in the wild, say 1000 years ago (for emphasis), you would have zero problem eating some type of protein to stay alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,620,552 times
Default Why are you a vegetarian or vegan?

Please share why you decided to quit eating meat or even animal products.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,915,856 times
At first it was strictly diet related...I now feel disgust for the mass meat/poultry industry. I am not a hard core animal advocate - I eat honey (no, I don't consider it bee slavery) and I take animal based B-12 based on a vegan nutritionist's recommendation...so in that sense my diet is only 99.9% vegan. I have no problem at all with those farms that strive for the humane treatment of their animals that will eventually end up on someone's table.

Of course I will take heat for my opinions...but isn't it great that I get to have those opinions whether someone agrees with them or not?

I love our vegetable based diet....I am sold on it and committed to it for the long term.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,620,552 times
One of the reasons why I like vegetarian diets is because they are more efficient. Why grow corn to feed to animals to eat when you can just eat the corn.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,036,706 times
There has already been a discussion on this recently:

Why are you a vegetarian/vegan?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,503,336 times
Default Reading

I read so much about what is in our food and how eating meat decays the body even faster, increases the chances of becoming ill and more susceptible to having allergies. Also other negative effects. I'm trying to go back being vegan.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM

278 posts, read 464,201 times
I did it because i wanted to be healthier and lose weight like many people. I tried for 2 weeks and i failed on and off then one night i went to Mcdonalds (i was drunk) and all i saw was ppl chewing this nasty meat, it freaked me out and never went back to meat. It all worked out for the best because i love jogging and on december 3rd i had knee surgery due to an accident so i wont be jogging for months, Ive been sitting and in bed 80% of the time and due to my new ways of eating i havnt gained a pound. Im also addicted to the morningstar veggie ribs!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM

191 posts, read 491,913 times
Back in 1998 when I lived in Houston, I was meeting a friend for dinner. I was early and went to Borders. There it was.
A magazine with a pic of a cow on the front saying please don't eat me. All it took was for me to read the article. Heart breaking! The abuse of innocent animals. I feel the people doing this should be treated the same way!

Over the years I learned it's important to read all labels before purchasing anything to be sure there is no animal in the product. When dining out, I always ask how meals are prepared. Especially in Mexican. The rice could have chicken base or lard . The beans pork. The chips could be made with lard.
Chinese or Thai the sauce that is used for noodles could have fish or Oyster sauce.

Last year my hubby and I toured Best Friends in Utah. Best Friends Animal Society Awesome place! We played with cats, walked the dogs. It's very peaceful and beautiful.

Farm Sanctuary in N. CA is also a great place to see. Orland, CA | Farm Sanctuary

Animals are wonderful!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM

5,340 posts, read 8,007,002 times
Most importantly, because I love animals.

I am able to realize that you don't have to harm animals to enjoy a wide variety of healthy, well-balanced, nutritious, delicious meals.

The health benefits are a nice bonus.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM

43,409 posts, read 52,403,598 times
I am not 100% meatless, but I probably only have it once a week.
I just read another article saying that the average american puts away 200 pounds of meat a year. That's insane.

Why have I cut meat out of my life (for the most part)?

1. It strikes me as awful to kill animals. For any reason...well, not like if they have rabies or something, but you know.
2. Our meat supply is insanely contaminated. The bioaccumulation of environmental toxins in even 'organic' animal meat is insane. When you eat something that eats something else, you are really playing with poison. Never mind that MOST of our meat is full or hormones, GMO feed, etc, etc.
3. My ancestors didn't eat meat. They all lived verrrrrrrrry long, healthy lives. It may be in my genetic make-up to do better and survive longer meatless.
4. Read studies of how your body reacts to meat consumption (especially high meat consumption). Scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food