Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,683,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What do you all do for gravy?

You can also make gravy with onion, veggie or mushroom soup or bouillon boiled waaay down and thickened with flour or cornstarch. That's for you can-opener gourmets like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 AM

I make nondairy pumpkin pie with a block of medium to firm tofu, 1 c dark brown sugar, 1 Tbsp molasses, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 can of pumpkin (12 oz). Use a potato masher to combine the flavorings with the pumpkin before mashing in the chopped tofu, then blending until smooth in small batches. Pour into an unbaked pie shell of your choice, smooth the top with a spatula (or the peaks will be a permanent feature of the pie) and bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Serve with the nondairy whipped topping of your choice. It's the best punkin pie you have ever had.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:17 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,990,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I make nondairy pumpkin pie with a block of medium to firm tofu, 1 c dark brown sugar, 1 Tbsp molasses, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 can of pumpkin (12 oz). Use a potato masher to combine the flavorings with the pumpkin before mashing in the chopped tofu, then blending until smooth in small batches. Pour into an unbaked pie shell of your choice, smooth the top with a spatula (or the peaks will be a permanent feature of the pie) and bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Serve with the nondairy whipped topping of your choice. It's the best punkin pie you have ever had.
I'll bet that is so good! The tofu makes it creamy and lovely....I can't eat the sugar unfortunately and neither can my husband....I am going to make this receipe though and try it out on my kids when they visit for Thanksgiving - thanks!

Old 11-03-2012, 02:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,990,375 times
Quote:
Details, details! Now, is that 1 cup cooked or uncooked?
The recipe is on page 2 of this thread and all the details are there - I just forgot to list the lentils....when you read the recipe, you'll see that they are uncooked.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:57 PM

Here is a great stuffing I came up with one year:

Cook 1 C brown rice and 1 Tbsp instant minced onion in 2 C orange or cranberry juice, with a cinnamon stick and a few whole cloves added. Pick the spices out and discard them when the rice is ready. Stir in a few handfuls of chopped raisins, chopped dried cran- or other berries, and about a cup of chopped, baked chestnuts. You can also add drained mandarin oranges.

This is unreasonably good.

Oh, here's one I found in a women's magazine. People devour this one and ask for the recipe:

Boil 1.5 C water and add 3 Tbsps margerine or coconut oil. When the shortening is completely melted, CAREFULLY pour it over 6 C diced cinnamon-raisin bread, the firmer the better -- bagels are perfect -- and toss to blend. Fold in 3 C chopped apples, skin left on, 1.5 tsps cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 C chopped raisins or mixed dried berries. Transfer to a baking pan (9x13), cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for half an hour.

To die for.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,549,359 times
My in-laws are coming for several days over the Thanksgiving holiday, so I have been planning several days' menus. I have found some inspiring recipes to share, including a stuffed homemade seitan roast that I am dying to try. My husband has made seitan before, and we like it. I don't think we will make it on Thanksgiving, though, in case it does not come out. Also, I don't want people to compare the roast to turkey, because I'm sure it won't taste like turkey.

Wednesday

White chili with great northern beans and meatless chicken (crock pot)
Baked potatoes (crock pot)
Steamed broccoli
Green salad

Thursday

Baked acorn squash (thanks bongo!), stuffed with my traditional stuffing (made vegetarian with tempeh and ground seitan instead of sausage)
Additional stuffing on the side
Mashed potatoes
Roasted carrots and parsnips
Spinach gratin
Mushroom gravy
Cranberry sauce (cranberries cooked in orange juice and sugar)
Green salad
Rolls
Apple and pimpkin pies

Friday

Savory bread pudding, probably with spinach and not-so-fancy mushrooms
Wild rice soup
Green salad

Saturday

Seitan roast, stuffed with something other than mushrooms
Smashed potatoes
Vegetable gravy
Steamed green beans
Green salad

Sunday

Pot pie with parsnips, golden potatoes, carrots, peas
Green salad

And Monday they go home!

Thank you to whoever posted about Imagine's No-Chicken Broth. I tried it for the first time recently, and I like that it is not tomato-based. I will be using it in the gravies and pot pie.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Vegetable gravy
What is your recipe?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,549,359 times
Quote:
What is your recipe?
I don't have a trusted recipe yet, but for that meal I will probably make a roux-based gravy like this one, using the No-Chicken broth I mentioned above.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,717,183 times
Quote:
I don't have a trusted recipe yet, but for that meal I will probably make a roux-based gravy like this one, using the No-Chicken broth I mentioned above.
With your favorite exotic sauted mushrooms!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Just a pumpkin tip, folks -- most of the canned pumpkin you buy is not made out of anything you'd recognize -- it's made out of these: http://iron-dog-and-ware.com/blog/wp...pe-pumpkin.jpg ...or these: http://woodridge.files.wordpress.com...pg?w=300&h=274 -- they're called "neck pumpkins" and despite the drought, there are a LOT of nice ones in the stores and produce markets at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food