U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:02 PM

748 posts, read 1,409,393 times

Advertisements

Well the main people my husband and celebrate with is my family and they are understanding and they try they do. I generally end up eating only veggies that my mom prepares for me without butter. Otherwise I don't really eat much. For thanksgiving I only ate peas, corn and broccoli. When we go to other peoples home I generally play the "I'm full" card because everyone knows we go to several homes for dinner, and I opt not to eat. I never take my own food but have been known to bring my own drink, seeing as how I only drink bottled spring water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 PM

31,359 posts, read 19,773,299 times
I'm trying remember what my sister and I did last year - she was the only vegan/vegetarian.

She brought tofurkey/meatless gravy, made vegan mashed potatoes and a vegan dessert. I made orzo salad, fresh cranberries, and some vegetable that were vegan.

Everyone else ate normal Thanksgiving dinner. No muss, no fuss, no problem.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:16 PM

7,103 posts, read 9,310,871 times
Here's something to bring that will hit several of the main food groups: Cook rice in orange juice with a cinnamon stick. Toss in chopped mixed berries, chopped roasted chestnuts and sprinkle on still more spice, like allspice or nutmeg, maybe ginger. Serve with a flourish. That's fiber, carbohydrate, antioxidant fruits, protein and Christmas cheer on a plate.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 PM

748 posts, read 1,409,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Here's something to bring that will hit several of the main food groups: Cook rice in orange juice with a cinnamon stick. Toss in chopped mixed berries, chopped roasted chestnuts and sprinkle on still more spice, like allspice or nutmeg, maybe ginger. Serve with a flourish. That's fiber, carbohydrate, antioxidant fruits, protein and Christmas cheer on a plate.
That is a very odd combo, can't say I've ever heard of that before. I'm assuming you are joking? Rice in orange juice? yuck!

Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 PM

7,103 posts, read 9,310,871 times
It's REALLY good. Even my sister's kids ate some, and they eat NOTHING.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 PM

24,778 posts, read 23,729,200 times
Quote:
Ohhh... I can see that. I'm thinking brown and wild rice, dried cranberries, chestnuts or pecans, throw in some parsley and maybe a couple of green onions, toss with an orange vinaigrette. Maybe ginger or coriander.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 PM

139 posts, read 136,278 times
i let people know i am a vegan and bring over something for EVERYONE to enjoy . A well heeled host will work around you same as a person who is alergic to food.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:07 PM

18,588 posts, read 23,136,531 times
Quote:
Actually, I love citrus with rice nuts and berries. I'd add ginger too.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:34 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,271,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyD View Post
I am not completely vegan, but am avoiding meat and dairy and almost every dish people prepare at holiday feasts has some sort of meat, butter or milk in it. I don't want to miss out on those mashed potatoes and yams/sweet potatoes. Is it rude to bring my own vegan versions of mashed potatoes and gravy and sweet potato casserole just for my husband and I? Even if they are preparing their own with dairy/butter? What do some of you do in this situation?
Why can't you just be flexible, once a year?

Or not go...

Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 AM

18,588 posts, read 23,136,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Why can't you just be flexible, once a year?

Or not go...
Flexible? I could not stand meat in my mouth or the taste of death.

WAAAAAYYY better idea - get together with some compassionate people -related or not related and celebrate LIFE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food