Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times

Advertisements

OP, the best way to find out info about how your food is raised is to go visit, or talk on phone, with the people raising/growing the food.
Find a local who cares about what he does and ask questions. Please don't rely on a movie or one sided documentary. Then make your choice.
Its your body, your family, your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:59 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Only if your vegan then fish would not be in your diet or any other animal
No, vegetarians don't eat animals of any kind. They might eat animal products such as cheese and eggs.

Vegans don't eat or wear any animal products.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorkFeinix View Post
I made a bet with friends that i would become vegeterian for a month. During that month i discovered a new world! I learned to cook all types of stuff! Before i couldnt even boil water. Everything just tastes sooo good and omg those veggie ribs, ill take em over the regular ones any day!

So after the month was over we went to celebrate at a restaurant i ordered chicken but suddenly i saw everyone devouring all this flesh and all this chewing i was going crazy. I took a bite i gaged and spit it out. Anyway its been 3 months now and i dont miss chicken or pork or any meats. But i gotta admit i do miss seafood. Is there an alternative? I know krab meat has fish in it. I mean if there isnt fine i'll live. When i first got into this i vowed to never eat animals. but This is not why i came here.
The reason i came here is because when i first went into this bet I was disgusted by how chickens were bread. I mean they are no longer chicken! So what about seafood? Is lobster and shrimp excused from all this controversy involved with Perdue and the documentaries like Food inc? Fish is caught i havnt seen anything involving seafood. So are the lobsters at places like Red lobster healthy? Or is there a farm some place where they grow shrimp bigger than normal. Thanks!
Thread topic, folks -- let's stick to this, please.

Thanks.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:53 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
No, vegetarians don't eat animals of any kind. They might eat animal products such as cheese and eggs.

Vegans don't eat or wear any animal products.
I know all about that and am quite aware of all of it. I was once very involved with our local vegetarian group when it first begun here. I would even go to yearly vegetarian festivals in PA where they had lectures, vegan food and etc for a week. I learned so much more than what I already knew. And from the people i was associating with too, I met a couple who had a child with health issues due to them being vegan. I saw both sides of the vegetarian lifestyle. Sorry if I am not on topic, but your health choices can influence your life as well as other factors.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 AM

300 posts, read 659,420 times
Quote:
The reason i came here is because when i first went into this bet I was disgusted by how chickens were bread. I mean they are no longer chicken! So what about seafood? Is lobster and shrimp excused from all this controversy involved with Perdue and the documentaries like Food inc?
It sounds like you're thinking factory farming is the sole reason for becoming vegetarian, and since fish aren't factory farmed, you're wondering why not eat them. Of course the suffering that animals endure in factory farms is a huge factor for many people who become vegetarians, but that's not all there is to it. Here are some other factors:

Fish and other ocean animals are indeed animals, and vegetarians don't eat animals. (Of course, some people will eat fish and call themselves vegetarians/pescatarians. As you can see, this is a debated topic which would be good for a different thread.)

Ocean animals suffer when they are brought up in nets and dropped on a boat to suffocate to death. They have brains and nervous systems, and they suffer. Vegetarians do not want animals to suffer.

Other ocean animals, such as dolphins, turtles, and birds, die in fishing nets. Dolphins die in trawler nets | Greenpeace International

Overfishing, which is now the norm, destabilizes the ecosystem. Overfishing: Oceans Are Dying | Ocean Sentry

Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Lobster boiled alive in a pot is not very humane. I don't eat clams or things like that. Mollusks. But I know people who are almost completely vegetarian and do not eat cheese or other dairy who will eat those.

I wouldn't eat them even before I became a vegetarian.

Strictly speaking if you eat anything living you are not a vegetarian. A Pescatarian is a person who does not eat meat or poultry. Some eat dairy others don't.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
I made a bet with friends that i would become vegeterian for a month. During that month i discovered a new world! I learned to cook all types of stuff! Before i couldnt even boil water. Everything just tastes sooo good and omg those veggie ribs, ill take em over the regular ones any day!

So after the month was over we went to celebrate at a restaurant i ordered chicken but suddenly i saw everyone devouring all this flesh and all this chewing i was going crazy. I took a bite i gaged and spit it out. Anyway its been 3 months now and i dont miss chicken or pork or any meats. But i gotta admit i do miss seafood. Is there an alternative? I know krab meat has fish in it. I mean if there isnt fine i'll live. When i first got into this i vowed to never eat animals. but This is not why i came here.
The reason i came here is because when i first went into this bet I was disgusted by how chickens were bread. I mean they are no longer chicken! So what about seafood? Is lobster and shrimp excused from all this controversy involved with Perdue and the documentaries like Food inc? Fish is caught i havnt seen anything involving seafood. So are the lobsters at places like Red lobster healthy? Or is there a farm some place where they grow shrimp bigger than normal. Thanks!

Eating Fish and Overfishing – What’s Wrong with Overfishing and Eating Fish

http://www.worldchangecafe.com/2008/...o-and-article/

And many more.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Lobster boiled alive in a pot is not very humane. I don't eat clams or things like that. Mollusks. But I know people who are almost completely vegetarian and do not eat cheese or other dairy who will eat those.

I wouldn't eat them even before I became a vegetarian.

Strictly speaking if you eat anything living you are not a vegetarian. A Pescatarian is a person who does not eat meat or poultry. Some eat dairy others don't.

Are you saying plants aren't living before you eat them?

Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I'm sure he was referring to animals.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 PM

300 posts, read 659,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Nah, no one would say that plants aren't living. But we do draw distinctions between humans, animals and plants. Most people perceive a hierarchy of consciousness in that order. Ask most people these questions and you'll get these answers:

Q: If you had to, would you rather kill a person or a dog (cat, rabbit, squirrel, etc.)?
A: A dog.

Q: If you had to, would you rather kill a dog or a carrot?
A: A carrot.

Of course, some people will answer differently, but I believe most people will answer as above. This reflects our perception of the hierarchy of consciousness, and this is where many vegetarians are coming from. I have to kill things to survive, and since I can survive easily on those entities at the lower end of the spectrum, I happily do so.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food