U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,107,606 times

Advertisements

I tell people all the time that they should visit a farm or ranch to know how people raise crops and animals instead of watch'n some "movie". I can teach of how crops and livestock is actually raised, instead of some twisted movie.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-21-2012 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Split off from unrelated thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 01:38 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,117,825 times
I am not understanding your belief that the graphic photos of conditions in factory farms are slanted or untrue.
Do you think and animals rights person purchased a mass quantity of pigs and constructed gestational crates to create a moral panic over the cruelty involved with intensive farming? Who would have that kind of money and time?

The meat and dairy industry has a clear motive in attempting to depict "contented cows" and happy chickens - profit.

What motive can one assign to people who support the humane treatment of animals? If one thinks about it, it maked no sense.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-21-2012 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Split off from unrelated thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I am not understanding your belief that the graphic photos of conditions in factory farms are slanted or untrue.
Do you think and animals rights person purchased a mass quantity of pigs and constructed gestational crates to create a moral panic over the cruelty involved with intensive farming? Who would have that kind of money and time?

The meat and dairy industry has a clear motive in attempting to depict "contented cows" and happy chickens - profit.

What motive can one assign to people who support the human treatment of animals? If one thinks about it, it maked no sense.
If you want to start a new thread about this I would be more than happy to engage in a civil conversation.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM

11,151 posts, read 14,114,566 times
New thread created -- feel free to discuss the issue.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,447,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I tell people all the time that they should visit a farm or ranch to know how people raise crops and animals instead of watch'n some "movie". I can teach of how crops and livestock is actually raised, instead of some twisted movie.
I have eaten mainly a veg_an diet for 30+ years although salmon & bits of meat have slipped in. My dietary choices have been mainly for health reasons.

However, watching wild animals, especially spending my whole summer camping & hiking in Yellowstone, has made me much more sensitive to the actual killing of those animals.

I would love to come visit your farm. However, seeing those baby calves would turn me off to even the thought of veal. But watching the actual slaughter, however humanely, would probably haunt me for a long, long time. And I can not even compete with those who are purely ethical veg_ans.

I certainly respect your choices and even agree that animal protein contains elements essential to human health. And I think it is so cool that you are trying some vegetarian meals yourself!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

What motive can one assign to people who support the humane treatment of animals? If one thinks about it, it maked no sense.
I am what you call a "factory farmer". I guess I have been all my life. I have NEVER seen what they show in movies such as food inc. I have been to hundreds of "factory farms", which by the way are just large farms. Certain "groups" have labeled them "factory". I could put a label on some of these radical "groups" but i keep that to my self.
Yes, there are a certain few that give a farmer a bad name. A VERY small percentage are like that. I could call all white people stupid red necks, or "crackers".....but that is not the whole group.(just people like me are the stupid red necks right? ) I could say the same about vegetarians, but as a group they are good people.......just a few jerks. same as people who eat meat. I think you get my point.

If you want to judge a group, learn about them first by get'n first hand experience. That is what I'm doing, again. Did for a bit this past yr. But need to get more serious.

Anyway, any other questions I'll gladly answer. Have a happy thanksgiving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food