Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I bought a pack of Tempeh from Trader Joe's today.

It was beige in color, but had a lot of black spots and veining, which I know is to be expected for tempeh. My question is, how do you know if there is too much veining/if the tempeh has gone bad? The tempeh I bought had a bit more spots than the images of tempeh that I have seen on the internet, but that was it, there was no fuzz or anything.

I cut it in slices, sauteed it (7-10 minutes), and added diced tomatoes and white wine vinegar (simmered for 7-10 minutes) . It had a nice nutty, bitter taste to it. Is there some special way tempeh is supposed to be cooked? Did I cook it the wrong way? After eating it, I read on another site that tempeh is supposed to be boiled first. I really hope that I don't get sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Tempeh does not have to be boiled. I too saute it with stirfried veggies & then a sauce. I've used it that way for 30+ years. I wouldn't boil it unless I was adding it to vegetarian chili, which I have done. We also slice it in half so its 2 thin squares, fry them & eat them on buns with mustard, lettuce & tomato as a tempeh burger.

It does have that black spotted/veined look:

Google Image Result for http://www.plantfoods.org/images/foods/tempeh_400.jpg

Tempeh is fermented so has a distinct taste, but like tofu will pick up the flavors of a sauce.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
You can simmer tempeh in some broth to soften it up and flavor it, but you don't have to.

Trader Joe's sells tempeh with little seeds and grains in it. If yours smelled fine and tasted fine, it's OK to eat.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:02 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times
Thanks for the replies. I bought some more the other day and boiled it, but will just only stir fry it from now on since that took away soooo much flavor. The ones I bought were slightly less veined than the ones I bought at first, so I am thinking that while it was still good, it was just older inventory that the employees placed in the front. It was still good though.

I can't wait to try your tempeh burger. It sounds good!

Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
For the burger, cut the block in half so that the halves are thinner than the whole, then fry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food