Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM

915 posts, read 2,122,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I am so sorry, MV. I didn't mean to upset you more. It was premature, but meant in the kindest way.

Please accept my apology.
Thank you for being so gracious about it. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:26 AM

To follow up, I'm not upset any more. I just feel that veganism is a social justice issue, an ecological issue, and an aesthetic issue. One wonders when, if ever, humans will stop murdering animals for food. If you join a lot of vegan and animal rights pages on Facebook, it keeps you reminded of all the issues.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM

41,787 posts, read 74,815,854 times
Sounds like you got someone else's groceries, picked up someone else's bag by mistake. I'd have called the grocery store first to see if any customers had called or stopped back for the food.

Were the food items on your receipt? If they weren't, they should have been returned to the grocery store immediately as they were not yours to give away.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,798,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sounds like you got someone else's groceries, picked up someone else's bag by mistake. I'd have called the grocery store first to see if any customers had called or stopped back for the food.

Were the food items on your receipt? If they weren't, they should have been returned to the grocery store immediately as they were not yours to give away.
At the risk of speaking for the OP, I don't think it really matters at this point. She was just sharing an unusual experience that happened to her.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM

I thought of looking at the receipt but then couldn't find it. My housekeeper threw it away, I guess and took it out with the trash. At any rate it's not that easy for someone with MS, who depends on others, to just pop back over to the store ..more like a major production.

Last edited by mvintar; 12-18-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,964,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I thought of looking at the receipt but then couldn't find it. My housekeeper threw it away, I guess and took it out with the trash. At any rate it's not that easy for someone with MS, who depends on others, to just pop back over to the store ..more like a major production.
The store likely couldn't have done anything with perishable products removed from the store other than thrown them out. They can't resell them and unfortunately in most cases they can't give them to charity either. I still think you absolutely made the best of the situation.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
The store likely couldn't have done anything with perishable products removed from the store other than thrown them out. They can't resell them and unfortunately in most cases they can't give them to charity either. I still think you absolutely made the best of the situation.
Thank you, Beth. Ppl get all pisssie- when I mention my atheism, reminiscent of the nasty letters eminent atheists get from religious folks. Some are gracious and kind while others can be deadly threatening. Some people don't like it when you challenge their assumptions, as every serious vegetarian finds out, sooner or later.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,317,297 times
Quote:
When I got home, there were several odd things in my cart, I didn’t even remember getting: a pork shoulder roast, a turkey breast, eggnog, butter. I don’t eat those things!
My first question is, did you pay for them? If they were not listed on your receipt, it was a bagging error, and you got someone else's groceries along with your own. If that's the case, it would have been a kindness to call the store and let them known that you were given someone else's purchase, so that customer would have no difficulty in having some expensive food items replaced.

And if that food was charged to you, calling the store immediately would have established your claim to get your money back for the unwanted items. I've had people absent mindedly put things in my cart, thinking it was their own, but usually I've caught the mistake at checkout. But when I haven't, no problem, I've just taken it back for a refund.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,317,297 times
I see, we crossed posts...

Quote:
But a phone call is simple and easy, and it's the first thing I thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Sorry, but I can't get out of my mind that someone else got home and found out they were missing some expensive groceries they probably paid for, and the difficulty they might have had trying to replace it. Your call to the manager could have cleared that up.

But passing that food along to someone who would value it was a good move. No sense wasting it simply because it wasn't food you would eat.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 PM

I'm not sure that I wasn't in some sort of fugue state and bought the stuff myself; I was very tearful, sad and distracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food