U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,448,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttonhead View Post
Thanks Bongo. I've used flaxseed as an egg replacer, but I don't cook with oil (in bread-y food I'll use applesauce as a replacement) - this makes making palatable pancakes more challenging, especially with heavy flours like buckwheat - which is why I've avoided trying them up 'til now. One of these days I'll have to experiment and see what I can come up with!
I rarely use just buckwheat; instead, I mix buckwheat & whole wheat flour.

We make pancakes every Sunday, always different, with various grains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttonhead View Post
Thanks Bongo. I've used flaxseed as an egg replacer, but I don't cook with oil (in bread-y food I'll use applesauce as a replacement) - this makes making palatable pancakes more challenging, especially with heavy flours like buckwheat - which is why I've avoided trying them up 'til now. One of these days I'll have to experiment and see what I can come up with!
I don't use oil either...when you make pancakes without gluten or oil or eggs, you need to use a mixture of flours like brown rice, oat, almond, buckwheat, tapioca flour, etc. So important to add extra baking powder so that you get a good rise. But to make a pancake with nothing but buckwheat would produce a very dense product.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 PM

17,611 posts, read 18,978,481 times
Day 5 (and counting)

After a shopping trip to Costco I just realized how many items have meat. And also how many items that don't have meat but are still not good for the body. Still learning...

Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM

We drove to town to Costco yesterday too. Wow, $3.99 for bag of 5 avos! Great deal for us out in the rocky mountains!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times
Costco rocks for vegan food. I got my quinoa, my sprouted bean trio there, a huge bag of kale, carrot juice, green juice, they have a new kale salad mix, delicious.

But, alas, I am not gonna go full vegan. I do suggest a subscription to "Vetetarian Times" though. I just got mine today, although the cover recipe, has an egg, and romano cheese.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Costco rocks for vegan food. I got my quinoa, my sprouted bean trio there, a huge bag of kale, carrot juice, green juice, they have a new kale salad mix, delicious.
That huge Costco bag of baby kale was challenging! 101 ways to use kale LOL

Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Day 5 (and counting)

After a shopping trip to Costco I just realized how many items have meat. And also how many items that don't have meat but are still not good for the body. Still learning...
Reading labels is an enlightening experience. Many foods contain chicken broth, others contain gelatin, still others contain the ever-mysterious "natural flavors" (which I do NOT trust).

Continued good luck on your journey!

Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 PM

96 posts, read 185,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Day 5 (and counting)

You might find this interesting: Vegan How To: Part 1 (How To Make The Transition)

Also, the Happy Herbivore has a 30 day email message program you can sign up for that sends you tips every day.

The less processed you buy, the easier it will be to avoid the "not good for you" stuff.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 PM

96 posts, read 185,482 times
Bongo/Catknap, I now am craving pancakes. I'm just lazy to play around with recipes until I find a way to make old favorites work. Anyone have any fav vegan pancake recipes they'd like to share?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:46 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,140,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Does anyone have a strong take on vegetable oils in the diet? Someone here provided a link to Dr. McDougall and to me, he makes a lot of sense. He suggests that oils, even the good ones, are unnatural in the diet (it is a refined product, not whole) and toxic, especially when heated (cooking or baking).

I feel really confused on this. Some vegan recipes use oils liberally. Being vegan is challenging enough, but eliminating oils to cook and bake with and use as dressings is really a reach. Thoughts?
I don't think I would ever give up olive oil - when I did cut out oils my skin got really dry. I read a lot about different oils and rolled the dice. Now I buy virgin cold pressed olive oil for salads and to drizzle on pasta, quinoa , tabouleh, etc. I love it. I would drink it if I could.

For cooking I use "Light Olive Oil" over low heat and do not use Teflon pans ever. Or a microwave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food