Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 AM

278 posts, read 546,426 times

Advertisements

I was looking through yelp to find out about vegan restaurants and i noticed that one place had vegan shrimp and crab on the menu. My prayers have been answered! Its the one thing i missed since becoming vegetarian back in september. Anyone here live in the NYC area and know where i can buy some? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,654,488 times
Have you checked out China town? I believe some places sell imitation duck, shrimp, etc. I don't have any specific place, but perhaps you can stop by one of the many shops and ask them if they know where to get it.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 AM

Thanks someone else also suggested china town but i believe there's a diff between imitation shrimp and vegan shrimp right? sort of like krab meat may not be vegetarian.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,857 times
Vegan Shrimps

Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorkFeinix View Post
I was looking through yelp to find out about vegan restaurants and i noticed that one place had vegan shrimp and crab on the menu. My prayers have been answered! Its the one thing i missed since becoming vegetarian back in september. Anyone here live in the NYC area and know where i can buy some? Thanks!
More than a dozen years ago I ate frequently at a Chinese restaurant in Seattle that was vegetarian, but had shrimp, fish, duck, etc. on the menu. And they were good enough mocks to fool omnivores. They are made from seitan, which is pure wheat gluten, made by washing the starch out of wheat flour, then coloring and flavoring and shaping it. The owner made his own, from recipes that were supposedly developed for the Emperor of China for his consumption during the month each year he was supposed to refrain from eating any meat for religious reasons, but he loved meat. So the cooks created meatless "meat" from seitan to satisfy him.

Some Asian groceries carry packaged seitan, as do some health food stores. The mock dock seems popular. Also you can find instructions on the internet, even YouTube videos on how to make it yourself.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
More than a dozen years ago I ate frequently at a Chinese restaurant in Seattle that was vegetarian, but had shrimp, fish, duck, etc. on the menu. And they were good enough mocks to fool omnivores. They are made from seitan, which is pure wheat gluten, made by washing the starch out of wheat flour, then coloring and flavoring and shaping it. The owner made his own, from recipes that were supposedly developed for the Emperor of China for his consumption during the month each year he was supposed to refrain from eating any meat for religious reasons, but he loved meat. So the cooks created meatless "meat" from seitan to satisfy him.

Some Asian groceries carry packaged seitan, as do some health food stores. The mock dock seems popular. Also you can find instructions on the internet, even YouTube videos on how to make it yourself.

Good luck!
thank you very much that was a lot of help!

BONGO, Thank you i called the company but they only sell in syracuse in NY wich is ways from me. Such a shame they have everything i wanted.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
I think what they meant was they only sell retail in Syracuse, because their website says this:

Quote:
Vege USA’s Vegetarian Plus brand, which is available at natural food markets and other high-end food retail chains across the U.S., has become the best-selling frozen meatless brand in the country by offering consumers authentically gourmet, international meat-free products that are easy to prepare and delicious to eat.
So check with your area markets.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 PM

Thank you! ill check Whole foods etc

Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,654,488 times
Have you checked out Whole Foods? They often have stuff like that.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM

i always pass by it never went it lol but im def going today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food