U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM

4,206 posts, read 10,070,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Friend says I worry too much, she grazes and she will find plenty to eat from our regular fare so I'm not gonna fret too much more and just make sure I have a full larder of veggies and fruits for everybody.
If you don't already have some, consider picking up a can or two of beans - chickpeas are my favorite and they go with pretty much anything. Quinoa or brown rice can help round out a vegan meal as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 AM

51,697 posts, read 13,039,149 times
Check this out:The Vegan Stoner: Potato Soup

Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM

7,103 posts, read 9,307,651 times
You can always make a pilaf with nuts and berries or other veggies, the whole thing flavored with veggie or mushroom bouillon instead of chicken. Cook in some lentils and it's a meal in itself.

Cabbage rolls can be filled with rice and beans or rice and veggies rather than the usual ground meat. Douse them in the same tomato sauce you use for the meaty rolls and bake as usual.

Stuffed peppers can be filled with rice and beans, or just beans, or any other veggies or grains.

Enchilada casserole!!! Roll refried beans (or just a can of soup beans thrown in the blender to smush them) in tortillas, stack in layers in a baking dish, douse with enchilada sauce or other salsa you like and bake at 350 degrees until heated through. You can add other things, like corn and tomatoes, olives, chilis or whatever, inside the rolled tortillas.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM

7,103 posts, read 9,307,651 times
Oh, and what about Shepherd's Pie with just roast veggies under the potato crust instead of meat and veggies?

I once saw a recipe for "potato galette" which was nothing but very-thinly-sliced potatoes, onion powder or flakes, a few drops of oil to hold it together and some salt and pepper. Layer it all together. You bake it about half an hour, until the potatoes are fork-tender and browned on top, at 450 degrees in a cast-iron skillet or a pie plate. It's considered a breakfast dish but with a side of roast beets and parsnips and stuff, wow! OK, I'm getting hungry.

In place of sugar -- some vegans won't eat white sugar in case it was whitened with animal bones -- use maple syrup. How about filling some apples with maple syrup and cinnamon and baking them for dessert?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,609,284 times
Not all vegans are the same. She may have other dietary restrictions as well. So, ask...you never know...awhile ago I made a very nice vegan lunch...I thought, salad, baked potatoes, vegan chili...and half the vegetarians would not eat baked potatoes, too many carbs, some would not eat the chili, they were on "raw" diets...others had some other issue...you just never know.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM

71,700 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
She will be here 2 days. I know of a few restaurants I can take her but of course we won't eat out the whole time. My main concern is I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff we won't eat later. We eat lots of vegetables and fruits so I'm hoping it won't be too complicated but I've never cooked without eggs, milk, butter before. I'm sure somebody here will help me. Many thanks.
I would have the same concerns as you; vegetarian would not be difficult, but vegan: wow. I am guessing breakfast, some cereal with almond milk and fruit. Lunch; vegan vegetable soup without any meat stock or any kind: dinner: wow, other than salad, fruits and veggies I would have no idea. I am sure you can make a decent cold slaw with an oil and vinegar dressing; I would suggest vegetarian enchaladas, but they still have cheese and or sour cream in them. I am sure, vegans here will give you good ideas.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,260,505 times
Breaded fried eggplant with a maple-horseradish drizzle (don't use honey - it's not vegan-friendly), with a small side salad with grape tomatoes, raisins, and roasted sunflower seeds with a balsamic vinaigrette, and string beans sauteed in just a little oil until they're limp, then doused with a splash of soy sauce and minced garlic.

I'm pretty sure that's all "normal" food that would please most of the family (I don't eat eggplant but everyone else in my entire extended family loves the stuff).

Last edited by AnonChick; 01-21-2013 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: I can't spell vinaigrette. I still think it looks wrong. Bah!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM
bUU

11,908 posts, read 8,622,386 times
While not all vegans are the same, rarely do I meet people who go to the extent of calling themselves "vegans" when they do, in fact, eat dairy or eggs. The term "vegetarian" is far more widely-recognized and generally more well-accommodated within society, that there's not much if any up-side to calling yourself a vegan when you're technically not.

One of the most notable exceptions to the relatively clear delineation between vegans and vegetarians are some (but not all) Indian vegetarians, who generally don't eat eggs as part of their ethical eating perspective. (Of course, some meat-eaters don't eat eggs either, but as you indicated, people may always have health-related dietary restrictions or preferences.) Though even then, they call themselves vegetarians (who don't eat eggs), generally, not vegans (who eat dairy).

If we were hosting vegans in our home and planning to feed them in the home, we'd aim for these things. (To be fair, as vegetarians, we don't have very far to go to accommodate vegans. YMMV.)

Breakfast - Oatmeal, granola or cereal - no honey (it's not generally considered vegan) - Almond milk (I hate soy milk).

Lunch - Roasted vegetables with hummus and pita.
... or Minestrone soup (made with vegetable broth, not chicken broth, of course, and of course no parm cheese)

Dinner - Stir-fried vegetables with soba noodles and peanut sauce (tonight's dinner, incidentally, at the bUU house).
... or Chili (no meat, of course - beans, mushrooms and sometimes eggplant serve as the bulk of the dish).

I hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 PM

31,327 posts, read 19,756,277 times
I would never stay at someone's house and expect for them to accommodate my dietary restrictions. I would bring my own food for breakfast and lunch, and offer to cook (emailing my host some options) dinner.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 PM

917 posts, read 1,761,862 times
What about chili or bean soup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food