U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 PM

5,296 posts, read 2,692,359 times

Advertisements

I know rabbits like carrots. Kidding, although they do. Tofu, avocados, seitan. Morning star makes some great veggi patties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM

2,066 posts, read 3,557,018 times
Trick her into cooking

Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 AM

5,339 posts, read 8,037,771 times
Default Vegan Houseguest- what to feed her?

Every time I see the title of this thread it reminds me of feeding a pet.

Vegan Houseguest- what to feed her?

Sounds to me like, "Picky cat - what to feed her," or "Overweight Dog - what to feed him?"

Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 PM

17,486 posts, read 20,925,574 times
How about stuffing red peppers with brown rice and black beans? I am not vegan or vegetarian but my neighbor (who is not vegan either) is making this for dinner tonight because she felt like a meatless meal for dinner. Spaghetti squash with olive oil, paprika, garlic and onion powder is good.Roasting carrots, potatoes, onions and butternut squash with olive oil salt and pepper,couscous with saute'd onions, garlic and zucchini.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,346,238 times
Or you could make a big, honkin' batch of marinara sauce. Then boil up some spaghetti...

Old 01-24-2013, 05:11 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Or you could make a big, honkin' batch of marinara sauce. Then boil up some spaghetti...
that would be the safest and easiest I would think. What is left can be frozen and meat can be added later if the OP wants. We do this a few times a month, it is healthy,tastey and as I said freezes fine. I do add grated cheese, but for the house guest you can eliminate any cheese.

BTW, OP, has your guest come yet and what did you decide to do or have you decided?

Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Every time I see the title of this thread it reminds me of feeding a pet.

Vegan Houseguest- what to feed her?

Sounds to me like, "Picky cat - what to feed her," or "Overweight Dog - what to feed him?"

And your point would be....?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,690,128 times
I'm a vegetarian who's almost vegan except I do eat some cheese. My son is strictly vegan. When he comes to visit we often make homemade calzones; I stuff mine with spinach, mushrooms, and cheese, and he just substitutes Daiya non-dairy cheese in his. We do the same with homemade pizzas the next day with the leftover fresh pizza dough we made the night before.

Another option is a lentil and brown rice pilaf. You can put all kinds of diced veggies in it (carrots, cooked onion, squash, onions, etc.), and use seasonings like cardamom, cumin, fenugreek, allspice, etc. to liven up the flavor.

Bob's Red Mill makes an awesome "Vegi Soup Mix" that isn't as "bean-y" as other soup mixes. I usually put some cooked mushrooms and raw diced carrots in it while it cooks, and use a vegetable broth instead of water for flavoring. Get a loaf of fresh whole grain bread, make a simple salad, and you have a delicious dinner.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,690,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I know rabbits like carrots. Kidding, although they do. Tofu, avocados, seitan. Morning star makes some great veggi patties.
Some of the Morningstar products aren't vegan; they contain cheese or eggs. You have to check the label. Boca brand is usually vegan.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 AM

3,047 posts, read 6,580,595 times
I think a stir fry is nice because you could have tofu and then for the non vegans chicken. Mexican food you could do similar with beans and then a choice of meats for others. I would also ask the guest if there was anything they would like from the grocery or offer to take them when they arrived to pick up some items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food