U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM

7,104 posts, read 9,312,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Some of the Morningstar products aren't vegan; they contain cheese or eggs. You have to check the label. Boca brand is usually vegan.

"Usually" is the operative word there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,452,083 times
Boca has both vegetarian cheese & vegan burgers:

BOCA Burgers | Made with Soy

Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 AM

18,589 posts, read 23,140,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
She will be here 2 days. I know of a few restaurants I can take her but of course we won't eat out the whole time. My main concern is I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff we won't eat later. We eat lots of vegetables and fruits so I'm hoping it won't be too complicated but I've never cooked without eggs, milk, butter before. I'm sure somebody here will help me. Many thanks.

Easy ideas that you may like yourself - Veggie Chilli there are so many recipes for this and different versions. It you don't want to make it from scratch, here is an idea - Amy's sells a canned version in many different styles. I think all are Vegan. Make some brown rice, a tossed salad and you
re good to go. Doctor it up and stretch it out with Rotelle Mexican Style chopped tomatoes or diced fresh tomatoes.

Go to a Chinese Restaurant one night

Felafel pie is delish and not as hard work as regular Felafel. Easy as pie if you want the recipe.

Breakfast - I eat this quite a bit - Irish Steel Cut Oat Meal, assorted fruit, (pick up a pre-cut fruit salad from the supermarket to make your life easier.

Van's toaster waffles - there is a whole grain and blueberry variety. Serve with fruit ( see above) Agave nectar, or warm homemade blueberry syrup. If you want the recipe I have it. It's Easy!

Grits, vegan breakfast sausage and fruit.

Ezekiel English Muffins (vegan) Earth Balance, Soy butter, a variety of nice jams, made with pectin not gelatine.

Pasta and Nate's Meatballs, Salad and Garlic Bread use Earth balance.

Any questions? Send me a DM!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 AM

36,478 posts, read 43,601,063 times
Well all my angst was for naught! She called herself vegan at one point but really she isn't./ she just doesn't eat red meat or pork since she is Jewish. Well I go weeks without either as well so there was absolutely no issue with food. I made waffles, huge salads,cottage cheese with fruit, chicken dish and we ate out Chinese. She asked us to try tofu which nobody liked. Tasted like eating a wet piece of kleenex. Texture was a real issue with me. I made her hard boiled eggs for her long flight home. It was a wonderful visit after 18 years of not seeing each other. Thanks to FB for helping us rekindle our friendship of 40+ years.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM

43,441 posts, read 52,446,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would never stay at someone's house and expect for them to accommodate my dietary restrictions. I would bring my own food for breakfast and lunch, and offer to cook (emailing my host some options) dinner.
Especially if my restrictions went so far as to cause inconvenience.

Op, honestly, what I find fun is to take my guests to the grocery store with me to shop for ingredients and foods they would like/enjoy...and even cook together. It's so much fun.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 AM

5,340 posts, read 8,011,686 times
Quote:
Well all my angst was for naught! She called herself vegan at one point but really she isn't./ she just doesn't eat red meat or pork since she is Jewish. Well I go weeks without either as well so there was absolutely no issue with food. I made waffles, huge salads,cottage cheese with fruit, chicken dish and we ate out Chinese. She asked us to try tofu which nobody liked. Tasted like eating a wet piece of kleenex. Texture was a real issue with me. I made her hard boiled eggs for her long flight home. It was a wonderful visit after 18 years of not seeing each other. Thanks to FB for helping us rekindle our friendship of 40+ years.

Well, at least maybe this thread will help someone else who is looking for vegan meals.

And don't give up on tofu. It can be prepared so many different ways, keep sampling it whenever you have the opportunity. You might find that you like it. Many meat-eaters have tofu occasionally to enjoy the health benefits.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,163,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I'm a vegetarian who's almost vegan except I do eat some cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
While not all vegans are the same, rarely do I meet people who go to the extent of calling themselves "vegans" when they do, in fact, eat dairy or eggs.
Quote:
Well all my angst was for naught! She called herself vegan at one point but really she isn't./ she just doesn't eat red meat or pork since she is Jewish.
All of which rams home the point that the best thing is to ask the person directly! I had exactly the same issue when meeting up with an old friend after over 30 years. Although she said she was a vegetarian, I wanted to be sure exactly what restrictions she had. Once we got that sorted out there were no problems at all and I easily accommodated her preferences (must say that I did buy some vegan cheese and it was SO horrible but she ate it)! Glad you both enjoyed the visit!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,452,083 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for coming back to tell us the conclusion of this story! Glad you had such a great visit.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM

18,589 posts, read 23,140,991 times
[quote=no kudzu;28085614]Well all my angst was for naught! She called herself vegan at one point but really she isn't./ she just doesn't eat red meat or pork since she is Jewish. Well I go weeks without either as well so there was absolutely no issue with food. I made waffles, huge salads,cottage cheese with fruit, chicken dish and we ate out Chinese. She asked us to try tofu which nobody liked. Tasted like eating a wet piece of kleenex. Texture was a real issue with me. I made her hard boiled eggs for her long flight home. It was a wonderful visit after 18 years of not seeing each other. Thanks to FB for helping us rekindle our friendship of 40+ years.[/quote

Sheeeshhh! She just abstains from RED MEAT and calls herself a VEGAN!?! NoKudzu, so sorry that you went through all of that stress for this!!! I do hope that you enjoyed your reunion with your friend. none the less.

This is a new one on me! I am originally from LI NY, which has a large Jewish population and I count many Jews as close friends. I attended college with many Jewish students so many, that we had a Kosher Commons (dining hall, outside of New England) and red meat was served.

This goes to show a couple of things, people have misconceptions about what constitutes "vegan" and "vegetarian"- not only your friend who is clearly neither, but some generally well intentioned folks who call them selves "vegetarian" when they are not even close or "vegan" when they are vegetarian. Yes it's pretty confusing.

As a" becoming" but not vegan not perfectly strict vegan, I most likely add to this confusion. Since 1989, I have not eaten any flesh foods, making me a vegetarian but not a vegan.
During this time, there have been countless instances when I have been offered seafood by well intentioned hosts who looked at me with puzzled faces asking "but you do eat fish, don't you?"
No, vegetarians do not eat fish. It's a creature and it has a "face and a mother", which makes it unacceptable for all vegetarians. Except it is not possible to control all people who call themselves "vegetarians", who simply do not eat red meat.

Not eating red meat makes you "a person who does not eat red meat", And there is not a word for that.

Vegan - describes an individual who eschews all animal products. It it's pure and strict form, as practiced by my son, it includes, not eating honey, wearing leather, eating commercial bread that is enriched with vitamins that come from animal sources, not wearing leather or fur or having leather couches, furniture or accessories. Cooking and shopping for a true vegan can get tricky, because many healthy or healthy looking foods that are whole grain such as breads, rolls, cereal products and the like have honey added for sweetness which most would agree is healthy, but it isn't vegan.
Cosmetics, shampoos, conditioners and the like also need to be free of animal derived ingredients. They can say "cruelty free", be not tested on animals, be bought at your local natural food stores or Whole Foods - and still not be vegan!

That is the trouble with labels - especially self reported labels.

Today with an increasing number of people eating less meat, generally for health reasons, as well as a large number of gluten free diets eaters, and whole food eaters, who may or may not be vegetarian, much less vegan, it is confusing indeed!

Word to the wise - next time anyone is having a house guest who uses one word or two to label his or her diet, do a bit of gentle probing. "You might say, That's interesting, so what exactly do you eat on a typical day?"

I have also had the experience of going to lunch with a self proclaimed vegetarian who ordered a cheese burger at lunch. I didn't say anything, of course, but she did.

"I eat vegetarian at home. When I'm out, I eat what I want." ...Go figure!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:07 PM

36,478 posts, read 43,601,063 times
Just to clear up she chooses not to eat red meat for health reasons but abstains from pork for religious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food