Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

She will be here 2 days. I know of a few restaurants I can take her but of course we won't eat out the whole time. My main concern is I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff we won't eat later. We eat lots of vegetables and fruits so I'm hoping it won't be too complicated but I've never cooked without eggs, milk, butter before. I'm sure somebody here will help me. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
I would ask her what she prefers for breakfast and lunch.

Oatmeal, a variety of fruits including berries, whole grain bread (with no dairy or eggs in ingredients- which is easy to find), a tub of humus, fixings for a large salad, salad dressing without dairy usually will work for those two meals.

For dinner, an easy one is brown rice and a vegetable stir-fry with soy sauce. 2nd dinner out!!

Have a great visit!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Absolutely nothing wrong with asking the person. Much better, than maybe even offending with poorly intended meals. Also, makes a great conversational piece and maybe you will learn something. Ain't much good in eating from killed anyway.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
You probably know a lot of animal-free recipes when you think about it. You can mash potatoes with nothing but water. Or just bake 'em. Oven-roast some root veggies with rosemary or make a big batch of some kind of vegetable soup -- cabbage, potato (add peas and veggie bouillon instead of ham), tomato with macaroni, that sort of thing. Beans and rice flavored with garlic, onions or Italian seasoning instead of ham. Have a bunch of sandwich stuff on hand. Make a big-butt salad with beets, carrots, apples, pineapple and maybe raisins. Three-bean salad of course. Bean burritos with salsa instead of cheese. Stir-fry some veggies with soy sauce and serve it over rice. Potato knishes are vegan anyway. It's still the right season for one of those sweet-potato-and-apple casseroles; they hold together as well with cornstarch and orange juice as they do with eggs. You MUST have a vegetarian chili recipe kicking around; serve it over oven fries or on top of one of those baked taters and you have a meal fit for a (vegan) king.

Last edited by Cliffie; 01-20-2013 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 02:48 PM

96 posts, read 221,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with asking the person. Much better, than maybe even offending with poorly intended meals. Also, makes a great conversational piece and maybe you will learn something. Ain't much good in eating from killed anyway.
I think from this she just learned why so many vegans come across as overbearing and self-righteous.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:00 PM

271 posts, read 600,651 times
Pasta (not fresh though, usually contains eggs), Pizza without the cheese. Falafel (mix) with hummus and maybe tabouli. And the veggie stir fry as mentioned above with rice sound great.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My main concern is I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff we won't eat later. We eat lots of vegetables and fruits .
Why wouldn't you eat it later? Since you said that you eat lots of vegetables and fruits you could make some meatless meals that your family would enjoy, even after your vegan guest leaves.

Not every meal has to have butter, eggs or milk. Why don't you check out the vegan recipes on the recipe forum for some ideas?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Why wouldn't you eat it later?
because quite frankly when I look at vegan recipes I see some words (ingredients) I've never heard of in my life!

Yes of course I can find recipes but I was wanting personal recommendations with everyday suggestions and i very much appreciate all the responses. Friend says I worry too much, she grazes and she will find plenty to eat from our regular fare so I'm not gonna fret too much more and just make sure I have a full larder of veggies and fruits for everybody.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
There are all different kinds of vegitarians, too, and what works for one won't another. Some eat dairy and eggs, just not meat. Some eat only plant based food and there are gradations inbetween. First step is to ask her what foods she eats. She'll be glad to tell you. She might also suggest what she likes, which is better, since what we'll eat is far different than what we *like* to eat.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Here's an idea: Ask her to teach you how to prepare one of her favorite recipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food