Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times

Advertisements

Im not a vegan 'cuz I eat cheeze french fries and pizza.
I dont care about health or political stuff, Im just an animal advocate.
The major benefit I get form eating responsibly is no body odor. As someone who travels by bicycle and hates airconditioning, these items would make some people undesirable to be around. Not to be too gross, but when you work in an office full of women, you dont want to be offensive. No AXE body spray needed here Junk(meat) in, Junk(odor) out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't think it is taking into consideration the need for protein to repair the cells.
Yeah, probably not considering protein can be found in plants. You can get plenty of protein on a vegetarian (or vegan) diet. I get around 70~80 grams of protein a day which exceeds my daily requirements and I get it all from plants, no meat, dairy, eggs, etc...I don't even eat "protein bars" and other such things.

People in third world countries are often malnourished.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That being said, most vegetarians are thinner than people who eat meat...vegetarians that eat healthy, and do not overeat carbs. Those people, are probably healthier
What does it mean to overeat carbs? A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains is going to be high in carbohydrates.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Im not a vegan 'cuz I eat cheeze french fries and pizza.
I dont care about health or political stuff, Im just an animal advocate.
The major benefit I get form eating responsibly is no body odor. As someone who travels by bicycle and hates airconditioning, these items would make some people undesirable to be around. Not to be too gross, but when you work in an office full of women, you dont want to be offensive. No AXE body spray needed here Junk(meat) in, Junk(odor) out
Hate to steal your thunder, , but my son and I can go without deodorant......and we eat meat. My daughter......... poor girl can stink to high heaven.

And as for Axe I'd rather smell bo, I think. that stuff's nasty. don't know why it bothers me. that and brute 33

Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
I was a teenager when I first saw a study about Seventh Day Adventists living longer because they were vegetarian. It was a study we discussed at school, and I remember coming home and telling my mom she was right because she always insisted on two meatless days every week because it was healthier.

I remember this well because as a teenager it was probably the only time I ever admitted to my mom she was right.

The study we used in school demonstrated that Seventh Day Adventists lived from 7 to 11 years longer. It was used as an example of a good research study because it followed a large number of people over a long period of years.

That was long before I stopped eating meat but I always remembered that study.

A few years later one of my aunts was working as a nurse at a SDA clinic where the cafeteria did not serve meat at all, only meatless products.

Not sure if SDA still are meatless or not, this was many years ago.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
This is the video that I watched some time back and adjusted my supplement intake as a result. It is a little lengthy but very interesting - especially the presentation about vegans and vitamins....do watch if you have time. The nutritionist is Jack Norris who wrote Vegan for Life.

Jack Norris: Vegan Nutrition - What does the science say? - YouTube

Old 02-23-2013, 08:05 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Generally speaking, yes...vegetarians are healthier.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I was a teenager when I first saw a study about Seventh Day Adventists living longer because they were vegetarian. It was a study we discussed at school, and I remember coming home and telling my mom she was right because she always insisted on two meatless days every week because it was healthier.

I remember this well because as a teenager it was probably the only time I ever admitted to my mom she was right.

The study we used in school demonstrated that Seventh Day Adventists lived from 7 to 11 years longer. It was used as an example of a good research study because it followed a large number of people over a long period of years.

That was long before I stopped eating meat but I always remembered that study.

A few years later one of my aunts was working as a nurse at a SDA clinic where the cafeteria did not serve meat at all, only meatless products.

Not sure if SDA still are meatless or not, this was many years ago.
Vegetarianism is very much encouraged within Seventh-Day Adventism. It has never been a requirement but a strongly encouraged lifestyle. Around 30% are vegetarian...with a smaller vegan group within that.

March 23, 2012 ~ Seventh-day Adventists and Health | Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly | PBS

Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 AM

65 posts, read 149,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
They are doing a lot of things differently, the average Vegan diet isn't particularly healthy. The typical vegan will replace meat, dairy, etc will mock meats, dairy substitutes, etc....and these foods are only marginally better for you. On the other hand the "Dr.s diets" are based on whole plant-foods and minimize (or eliminate) the use of sugars and oils. These diets are rich in nutrients and promote health, as a result people feel better on them and they stick to them.

I would add as well, that the veg*n community in the west has done a poor job at communicating nutritional information. For example, many veg*ns have a blase attitude towards protein and this leads to the under-consumption of protein which over time can make you feel poorly.

Regardless, I have been highly influenced by those "Dr.s diets" and wasn't sick when I changed diets. I will never return to my previous way of eating because I feel much better today.

Food carvings are largely a matter of addiction, most of the foods people "crave" just so happen to be high in sugar, fat, salt, etc. The idea that the body is able to communicate its nutritional status to the brain and then the brain in turn can trigger carvings for foods it knows (how would it know?!) contains those nutrients....has little basis in reality.

When people "crave meat", its usually just a craving for something fatty and salty (most meat is prepared with salt). You'll notice that they don't run out and eat lean whole meats, they eat a hamburger, fatty steak, fried chicken, etc.
I agree with everything you said. And I do feel alot better eating this way. The reason I decided to go mostly vegetarian/vegan in the first place was because I just don't really like meat that much. I can't digest beef, don't like the taste of pork and most fish. That leaves poultry and I don't feel I want or need to have it except on occasion. Never ate much dairy to begin with because I have trouble digesting that too so it wasn't hard to give that up. I'm not expecting this to be a "cure all" for prevention of disease - except for possibly cardiovascular disease. As for cancer, I think there are alot more influences than just diet - despite what the Dr's promoting this diet have said. I have read plenty of message boards with women that have breast cancer and many were vegan/vegetarian for many years prior to that. Most of them ate organic, whole foods, not very much soy or processed foods and still got it. All those women couldn't have had a heriditary factor. Same with some vegans that get pancreatic and colon cancer. Maybe they weren't supplementing B12 or some important nutrient, but obviously this tells me there is more of a factor like possibly pollution that we are exposed to that is causing this.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyD View Post
I'm not expecting this to be a "cure all" for prevention of disease - except for possibly cardiovascular disease. As for cancer, I think there are alot more influences than just diet - despite what the Dr's promoting this diet have said. I have read plenty of message boards with women that have breast cancer and many were vegan/vegetarian for many years prior to that.
The "Dr's" don't claim that a whole foods plant-based diet is a cure all for cancer or any disease, instead they claim that the diets will reduce your risks of developing certain diseases. In the case of cancer, it is something that usually develops over many years. So if someone started a veg*n diet at 45 and developed breast cancer at 50, the cancer very well may be related to their diet before they were 45. Also, one of the animal foods most linked to breast cancer is dairy so you'd want to look at vegans not vegetarians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food