U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 AM

65 posts, read 130,431 times

Advertisements

I started going vegetarian - mostly vegan last October. I seemed to be able to keep my weight the same (around 125) up until December. I noticed lately some shoes and clothes felt looser so I got on a couple different scales and sure enough I am down to 120 (I am around 5'6 1/2). This is too low for me and want to go back up to 125 but it is very hard getting enough calories without overdoing it on the fats. I can barely get 1600 calories a day and I should be getting 1700-1800. Here is my dillema:

I eat a moderate amount of whole grains and healthy carbs like fruit. I don't want to increase that amount because it tends to clog me up (if you know what I mean) when I eat too much of them.

I am scared about increasing the fats as I am already at 46 grams a day (more than when I use to eat meat). I know the doctors who promote the plant-based diet for heart disease prevention say to decrease fats and I think this is how I lost weight in the first place. I want to increase more nuts etc but at the same time I don't want to do more damage to my arteries than I would if I were eating meat.

I am fine with eating soy a couple days a week but don't want to eat more than that. Also I am on a mostly gluten-free diet so any breads or whole wheat tortillas are out and gluten free ones taste like cardboard.

Does anyone who knows alot about nutrition/diet have any suggestions? I'm getting desperate at this point. For record this is what I eat on a daily basis:

Every morning I wake up and have a small glass of prune juice mixed with Miralax (yes I need this): 270 Calories

An hour later I have a bowl of oat bran or steel cut oats with almond milk, 1 tbsp raw almond butter, frozen blueberries and 1 tsp of either pure maple syrup or pomegranete extract. I also have a banana with it - 340 calories

For lunch I usually have a mixed green salad with vegan dressing of some sort and nutritional yeast. I either have a baked sweet potato topped with unsweetened ketchup or have a frozen veggie entree with it - 360 calories. Instead of the salad on some days I may have a protein smoothie drink but it adds up to the same calories as salad.

On the weekends I have eggs with rice cheese and a baked potato.

Dinner I almost always have some sort of Mexican food like either vegetarian refried beans with quinoa on 2 corn tortillas with salsa (about a 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup each on the beans and quinoa). And a handful of nuts - 600 calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,468,356 times
My husband & I, like you, both have to keep our weight up since we get a lot of exercise. We eat over 2000 calories each a day to keep up our weight.

We add freshly ground flaxseed meal & handful of walnuts to about the exact same breakfast as yours.

We eat double the amount that you eat for dinner and we too eat a lot of mexican food.

We eat baked yams and baked winter squashes for calories.

We eat almonds by the handful for snacks. We put olive oil on huge salads. Lots of beans & rice. Huge pots of lentil or split pea soups.

Enjoy!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,846,287 times
Go to:

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

You can go meat free and its not just for losing weight. It will offer suggestions when you tally up your daily end report on the places you fall short. (its free)

Wise to watch the fat though. You are right on target with the fat if your calories were higher. You probably are lacking something in protein or carb requirements. Add it up on the spark site to see what it is.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,387,593 times
Also, there are fats, and there are fats. Not all fats are the same. Fat from meat is not particularly desireable for people who are trying to be healthy (which is why doctors recommend -lean- meat, for those who partake of it). Fat from nuts are more desireable, and in fact, a good idea in moderation. There is also the fat from egg yolks - if you eat eggs (some vegetarians do, some don't - technically not poultry til it's fertilized but definitely not vegan), an egg a day will give you fat -and- protein that promotes health.

Careful with overdoing it on fruits - some of them (such as apples, pears, and citrus) are very high in sugar. Enjoy them, but in moderation. Berries are awesome nutritionally, but not very useful when you're trying to maintain a higher calorie count. Watermelon is surprisingly not all that high in sugar.

You could try gluten-free breads, and sourdough (if you're only intolerant and not suffering from Celiac or any actual allergy to wheat).

Don't forget potatoes and other tubers and root vegetables, and don't be afraid of olive oil.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM

65 posts, read 130,431 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have tried adding some more nuts and increased the carbs a little to see if that helps. I'll see how it goes.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:37 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,311,017 times
Add a sliced avocado to the Mexican dishes?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 AM

12,971 posts, read 23,604,554 times
Yes to more of the concentrated calories, since you don't want to add bulk. Adding avocado is good. Double the nut butter. Use more oil. Eat more eggs. You don't need a lot of any one thing, just a bit more of each will help without loading you down. Also consider adding a glass of wine to your dinner.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM

16,666 posts, read 26,726,373 times
I have no advice. I just wanted to say that I *wish* I had that problem. I'd love to need to gain weight. Alas... potato chips are my friends.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,587,664 times
Rice.

Or start lifting and your appetite will naturally increase as you crave protein.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,468,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Add a sliced avocado to the Mexican dishes?
Great idea! Mr B & I often split an avocado with hot sauce in the center as an afternoon snack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food