U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:19 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,917,595 times

Advertisements

You can actually do a search of "vegan shoes" and "vegan clothing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM

584 posts, read 473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My husband is in the process of buying new clothes for work, and we have realized that all the shoes and belts he has to choose from are leather. We've only been vegetarian for a year, so this is the first we've really had to think of it. He works in a corporate office, so he can't wear sandals or hiking shoes or anything like that. If there are attractive, business-appropriate, non-leather shoes and belts for men, I would love to get a link. Until then, sorry cows.
Between the two of us, my guy and I have 8 pairs of shoes/boots and 2 belts from this company Vegetarian Shoes - Cruelty free shoes, boots, trainers, sandals, belts, jeans and para boots. We've both been 100% satisfied with the quality, comfort and appearance. Great customer service and pretty quick shipping to the US, too. Too often, companies that don't specialize in vegan products will call something vegan, but for example, they may not use leather, but they used the same non-vegan adhesive they use in all their shoes.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 PM

Payless shoes are made with manmade materials...I have a friend who is vegan and she wears their shoes - they are cuter than I thought they would be and she is a snappy dresser.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 PM

Maybe this is what some people consider "vegan extreme", but I think companies like Payless, which is owned by Collective Brands, have questionable ethics and quality. Since ethical considerations play a large role in my decisions as a vegan, I think it's important to consider the humans who make the shoes, as well as whether any animals are harmed in order to make them. Collective Brands uses over 100 factories to make their products and many of the factories they've used, such as Sun Hwa and Yue Yuen, have well-documented histories of extremely poor, in fact dangerous and abusive, conditions for workers. It's also nearly impossible to control and verify the materials used. I'd rather pay a little more for shoes that are without a doubt 100% vegan, where quality is verified first hand, and where workers get rights and fair pay.

The quality of inexpensive shoes is often, although not always, inferior. Because they typically don't last as long, they end up in the waste stream and another pair is purchased to replace them, then another. Workers are frequently exposed to phthalates, carcinogens, lead, VOCs, etc. with minimal, if any, health or environmental safeguards. Shoes that may cost a little more up front can end up costing less over time because they last longer and can often be repaired instead of replaced. So there can be environmental and financial benefits.

As far as other things, I try to eliminate any products that harm animals, but I am far from 100% successful. Some things, like plastic shopping bags, cosmetics, cleaners, and such are easy to replace with cruelty free versions. I won't support companies such as Dean Foods or Kraft or Unilever, and it's no problem to not buy Silk or Triscuits or Boca or St. Ives. But I wear contact lenses. They are tested on animals because they're considered a medical device. I've tried wearing glasses all the time, but I too often feel like I can't see (fogging lenses, dust, glare). So, I make a decision to wear my contacts even though I know animals suffer for me to be able to do so. I don't have a solution for that.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,204,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
There are, of course, also "dietary vegans" who are not concerned regarding belts, shoes and such.

For others:

Moo Shoes - Vegan Shoes NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
Between the two of us, my guy and I have 8 pairs of shoes/boots and 2 belts from this company Vegetarian Shoes - Cruelty free shoes, boots, trainers, sandals, belts, jeans and para boots. We've both been 100% satisfied with the quality, comfort and appearance. Great customer service and pretty quick shipping to the US, too. Too often, companies that don't specialize in vegan products will call something vegan, but for example, they may not use leather, but they used the same non-vegan adhesive they use in all their shoes.
Thank you! Great suggestions. I appreciate it.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,664,443 times
Another example of extremism is that some vegans will not consume honey because they say it exploits the bees. I seem to remember there was a thread about that a couple of years ago.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 AM

I'm a vegan and I do not consume honey. Honey bees are farmed, just like other creatures. They're bought, sold, bred and killed for the purpose of humans stealing their food. We don't need to take their food; it is in no way necessary for our health or survival. We just do it because we can and because it tastes good. Choosing to not do that isn't extreme. It's as simple a choice as not consuming dairy.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM

102 posts, read 221,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
I'm a vegan and I do not consume honey. Honey bees are farmed, just like other creatures. They're bought, sold, bred and killed for the purpose of humans stealing their food. We don't need to take their food; it is in no way necessary for our health or survival. We just do it because we can and because it tastes good. Choosing to not do that isn't extreme. It's as simple a choice as not consuming dairy.
very well put...

Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 PM

I'm eat a completely plant based diet and I do consume honey. It is nutritious and delicious - love it a little in my herb tea once in a while.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I'm eat a completely plant based diet and I do consume honey. It is nutritious and delicious - love it a little in my herb tea once in a while.
That's your choice, but in response to the poster who called it an example of extremism, I think that to say it's extreme for a vegan to not eat honey is to not understand what veganism means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food