Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:21 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times

Advertisements

OK, I was just listening to NPR and they were talking about how vegetarians and vegans think they're safe from antibiotic-resistant bacteria because they don't eat animals dosed with sub-therapeutic doses of antibiotics. The guy they were interviewing pointed out that their organically-raised plant diet was fertilized in most cases with manure from farm animals, which is loaded with those very bacteria, so they're no better off.

Just how far do you go to make sure there are no animals products in your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I have a friend, she is slim as a rail. Whether this is "vegan extreme, or an eating disorder, I will defer to you to decide, she eats bananas, coconut, oatmeal, almond d ! milk, and not much else. She States she can "taste" chemicals and fertilizer in fresh vegetables. The smell of meat cooking gags her. She does not eat processed food because she says she can, "taste" chemicals.

She is single, and happier that way, dating creates too many problems with her eating habits.

She is a bit odd, but a dear person. She is healthy. She makes cookies, and she does eat other nuts, sometimes whole wheat bread, from the organic bakery. And some other things...but not often.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 AM

That's a severe sensory issue. She needs to get to an occupational therapist who knows how to reduce that kind of sensory defensiveness.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
OK, I was just listening to NPR and they were talking about how vegetarians and vegans think they're safe from antibiotic-resistant bacteria because they don't eat animals dosed with sub-therapeutic doses of antibiotics. The guy they were interviewing pointed out that their organically-raised plant diet was fertilized in most cases with manure from farm animals, which is loaded with those very bacteria, so they're no better off.

From the Vegan Society:

..."the word "veganism" denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment."
Home - The Vegan Society

It is impossible to be 100% vegan, animal products find their way into many products, food, clothing, etc...many of which you might not even think of (plastic bags, rubber, glue and adhesives of various types--envelops, your shoes, wooden furniture, and so on--epinephrine, cortisone, pro/estrogen, sutures, insulin, gel caps--can be veggie, though--sugar--bone meal used to refine sugar--buttons, yup, many pharmaceuticals, pencils, steel, yup, glass, water filters, cement, linoleum, brake fluid, crayons, paints, wall paper, bandages, air filters, cosmetics that are not specifically cruelty free, and the list goes on).

Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 PM

So I wonder what is the most animal-free anyone has ever managed to get. Hmm, it just occurred to me this instant how ironic it is that animals lovers try to exclude all animal products from their lives.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM

353 posts, read 580,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
From the Vegan Society:

..."the word "veganism" denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment."
Home - The Vegan Society

It is impossible to be 100% vegan, animal products find their way into many products, food, clothing, etc...many of which you might not even think of (plastic bags, rubber, glue and adhesives of various types--envelops, your shoes, wooden furniture, and so on--epinephrine, cortisone, pro/estrogen, sutures, insulin, gel caps--can be veggie, though--sugar--bone meal used to refine sugar--buttons, yup, many pharmaceuticals, pencils, steel, yup, glass, water filters, cement, linoleum, brake fluid, crayons, paints, wall paper, bandages, air filters, cosmetics that are not specifically cruelty free, and the list goes on).
I agree with that. It is hard, but you can do your best and still enjoy great health benefits

Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have a friend, she is slim as a rail. Whether this is "vegan extreme, or an eating disorder, I will defer to you to decide, she eats bananas, coconut, oatmeal, almond d ! milk, and not much else. She States she can "taste" chemicals and fertilizer in fresh vegetables. The smell of meat cooking gags her. She does not eat processed food because she says she can, "taste" chemicals.

She is single, and happier that way, dating creates too many problems with her eating habits.

She is a bit odd, but a dear person. She is healthy. She makes cookies, and she does eat other nuts, sometimes whole wheat bread, from the organic bakery. And some other things...but not often.
It sounds like her body will start to fall apart with time...literally.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
My husband is in the process of buying new clothes for work, and we have realized that all the shoes and belts he has to choose from are leather. We've only been vegetarian for a year, so this is the first we've really had to think of it. He works in a corporate office, so he can't wear sandals or hiking shoes or anything like that. If there are attractive, business-appropriate, non-leather shoes and belts for men, I would love to get a link. Until then, sorry cows.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My husband is in the process of buying new clothes for work, and we have realized that all the shoes and belts he has to choose from are leather. We've only been vegetarian for a year, so this is the first we've really had to think of it. He works in a corporate office, so he can't wear sandals or hiking shoes or anything like that. If there are attractive, business-appropriate, non-leather shoes and belts for men, I would love to get a link. Until then, sorry cows.
I would Google "webbing belts" and "all manmade materials shoes."

Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
There are, of course, also "dietary vegans" who are not concerned regarding belts, shoes and such.

For others:

Moo Shoes - Vegan Shoes NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food