Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:10 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Do some vegans, then, advocate not killing mosquitoes, flies, bedbugs, black widows, etc.? Just wondering if it goes to that extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Partly it's considered extreme because it is so rare in our culture. According to a survey commissioned by Vegetarian Times Magazine, only about 1/2 of 1% of Americans are vegans, and according to my personal experience I'd guess more than half of them use honey and wear leather shoes. So maybe 2 or 3 out of a thousand people make choices similar to yours. I call that rare, others call it extreme.

The most extreme form of veganism is the one some Jains practice as part of their commitment to ahimsa, or non-violence to liviving beings, in which they do not eat root vegetables, such as potatoes and onions, because tiny organisms are injured when the plant is pulled out of the ground. They also will not kill a mosquito that is biting them, and many wear thin cotton masks over their nose and mouth to avoid accidentally inhaling any small insects. To me, that is the extreme. And yet, I do not criticize any of it, I merely choose not to share those practices.

No, I don't think you should have to defend anything about your personal choices. They are your choices. But when you share information that is debatable, then you should expect to be challenged on the truth of that information.
I work with a man who is a Jain. I learned only last year that they do not eat potatoes and other root vegetables. However, he told me that they do use dairy products. They believe that milking is good for the cow.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:22 PM

629 posts, read 1,175,280 times
Quote:
Do some vegans, then, advocate not killing mosquitoes, flies, bedbugs, black widows, etc.? Just wondering if it goes to that extreme.
I take spiders, flies and crickets outside

I use humane insect control - essential oils and other natural products that repel them rather than kill them

I don't feel "extreme" at all -- ahimsa is a lovely spiritual state to strive for

Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
I take spiders, flies and crickets outside

I use humane insect control - essential oils and other natural products that repel them rather than kill them

I don't feel "extreme" at all
I am one who takes bugs outside. And frogs. I get some frogs too.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
I take most bugs & spiders outside too. But not black widows. Those must die. Don't you all kill mosquitoes? And wouldn't you kill lice?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 AM

584 posts, read 576,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Partly it's considered extreme because it is so rare in our culture. According to a survey commissioned by Vegetarian Times Magazine, only about 1/2 of 1% of Americans are vegans, and according to my personal experience I'd guess more than half of them use honey and wear leather shoes. So maybe 2 or 3 out of a thousand people make choices similar to yours. I call that rare, others call it extreme.

The most extreme form of veganism is the one some Jains practice as part of their commitment to ahimsa, or non-violence to liviving beings, in which they do not eat root vegetables, such as potatoes and onions, because tiny organisms are injured when the plant is pulled out of the ground. They also will not kill a mosquito that is biting them, and many wear thin cotton masks over their nose and mouth to avoid accidentally inhaling any small insects. To me, that is the extreme. And yet, I do not criticize any of it, I merely choose not to share those practices.

No, I don't think you should have to defend anything about your personal choices. They are your choices. But when you share information that is debatable, then you should expect to be challenged on the truth of that information.
That's why I posted references, so those who question the truth of the information can check it for themselves.

The Jain religion requires them to be lacto vegetarians, not vegans. As the reality of dairy production becomes more widely known, veganism is becoming increasingly popular among Jains, but it's not required. Many (not all) modern Jains do eat most root vegetables, while the more strict, orthodox Jains don't. Even those who eat root vegetables usually avoid garlic and onions because of their belief that those increase sexual desires. They're ascetics. I think all religions are strange and have odd beliefs, but one where they actually practice what they preach, so to speak, seems less extreme than most.

Non-vegans often seem to to associate veganism with asceticism. While there are groups who practice veganism as a part of an ascetic philosophy, they usually have some spiritual or religious basis. I am not religious, I didn't grow up religious and veganism and asceticism have no connection for me. Or for any of the vegans I know personally (none of whom eat honey or wear leather, so my experience is different than OpenD's).

Being vegan is not difficult. It doesn't require any great sacrifice, nor does a vegan have to risk their mental or physical well-being to maintain the lifestyle. You don't have to dedicate your life to achieving spiritual liberation. You don't have to worship anything or anyone. There is also the tendency by the media and pop culture to categorize vegans as overly sensitive, girly, judgmental, pretentious pseudo-hippies who eat nothing but soy burgers and are constantly out protesting one thing or another. It's portrayed as a lifestyle that "normal" people would never choose. Or they pretend that PETA is representative of your typical vegan.

I guess it's strange to me that it's considered extreme to make the choice to not unnecessarily kill or harm animals when alternatives to so many of the things we use them for are very easy to come by.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:43 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,126,855 times
I am vegan but I do kill roaches. Sorry, they are just gross and unsanitary.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 AM

42 posts, read 89,329 times
your friends sounds Orthorexic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have a friend, she is slim as a rail. Whether this is "vegan extreme, or an eating disorder, I will defer to you to decide, she eats bananas, coconut, oatmeal, almond d ! milk, and not much else. She States she can "taste" chemicals and fertilizer in fresh vegetables. The smell of meat cooking gags her. She does not eat processed food because she says she can, "taste" chemicals.

She is single, and happier that way, dating creates too many problems with her eating habits.

She is a bit odd, but a dear person. She is healthy. She makes cookies, and she does eat other nuts, sometimes whole wheat bread, from the organic bakery. And some other things...but not often.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
I take most bugs & spiders outside too. But not black widows. Those must die. Don't you all kill mosquitoes? And wouldn't you kill lice?
The key there is not to catch lice in the first place. Flea collars on your pets and so on. Then you never have to kill anything.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The key there is not to catch lice in the first place. Flea collars on your pets and so on. Then you never have to kill anything.
Flea collars are usually poisonous ... that's how they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food