Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 PM

261 posts, read 496,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It was a hotel restaurant on a group tour ... and they served me a whole head of cauliflower, steamed, with cheese sauce poured over it.
L-O-L. That's really funny. Actually I can make a meal out of that better than I can a bunch of soggy cut up veggies. The less processing the better when eating out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:00 PM

261 posts, read 496,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Bad experience...
Another time I chewed on the salad and noticed an odd bite. I took it out of my mouth and it turned out to be a tie-twistie.
That happened to my date at a top-notch place here. He handled it very well and took it out of his mouth, set it aside, whilst my mouth hung open in shock. Stuff like this make me dread going out to eat.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
That happened to my date at a top-notch place here. He handled it very well and took it out of his mouth, set it aside, whilst my mouth hung open in shock. Stuff like this make me dread going out to eat.
I figure, when I was a little kid (like, a toddler or a 5-year-old), I used to eat dirt, and bugs, and worms. I'm not going to let a little tie twistie get in the way of my enjoying my feta salad. I won't eat the tie twistie, and if I did by mistake and it lodged in my throat and hurt me, then yeah I'll make a huge fuss about it. But as long as no one's getting hurt, well - no one's getting hurt, and the salad tastes exactly how it should taste, with or without it.

If I saw a bug in the salad I'd probably do the same thing UNLESS it were a cockroach or maggots. That's pretty much the only time I'd shout and holler and make a whole lot of noise

Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,249,605 times
We were once given lettuce wraps, with small green bugs all over the lettuce. Any meals with bugs, over for me. They did not know even comp us dinner, this is a very well known expensive Chinese restaurant.

We were sent a complimentary coupon for another dinner. Forget it.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,726,652 times
Yes. I'm very unflappable and very easy going, but when I was in Beverly Hills on a trip recently, there was a fancy restaurant that had no vegetarian options except for one - a kale salad, that cost about $35. I didn't want to make my friends upset or feel awkward, but it was tasteless, little to no dressing on it, no vegetarian type of protein such as chick peas. Just mostly kale on a plate. I was so hungry; I ate it, but it was an odd experience.

The burger place down the street on the other hand, had delicious veggie burgers!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,896,908 times
I went to a Mexican restaurant recently (and mind you, I'm in Arizona, where there are a million great Mexican restaurants) and ordered a veggie burro. I cut into it and it had whole pinto beans and the peas-carrots-lima bean frozen vegetable mixture. Not even a binder or sauce! The yucky vegetables just spilled over the plate. I couldn't eat any of it. What on earth were they thinking?!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,752,352 times
Surprisingly, my worst vegetarian meal was at a vegetarian restaurant! I ordered a steamed veggie plate and the veggies were so tough! I don't like my veggies limp but I also don't expect them to be really tough.

I had a fruit smoothie on the side and I slurped that down and barely touched the veggies. I could have made a much better meal at home.

The second worst meal was at Bilaggi's, a chain restaurant. Bleh. It was just noodles and tomato sauce. They have very little options for vegans, aside from a salad. I paid around $12 for it, something I could have whipped up for MUCH cheaper at home.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 PM

23,911 posts, read 32,227,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I had some really bad Indian food. Not sure if it was the cook, or the food. Or is all Indian food just plain bad? We had some green slime, I think it was some kind of puree, with lumps of cottage cheese in it. Spinach maybe? It was nasty. The rest of the meal was under some brown and yellow sauce, it was spicy, but not good. Maybe it was eggplant. Not sure.

I have never had Indian food before, so was this representative of Indian cuisine? Not sire. But we are not going there again.
Indian food is one of my favorite cuisines. It sounds as though you were served paneer. Indian food is soupy and wet by western standards.

It could be a bad restaurant or perhaps you don't like Indian food. Still, I'd give it another try.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 PM

4,488 posts, read 4,953,904 times
I visited a Kibutz while in Israel.
Whole place was vegetarian.
Our hosts went to so much trouble to fix us an elaborate 8 course meal.
I went to bed hungry.
Everything tasted like dirt. There was no electricity, so we ate by the fire and candle light.
I think I was eating the same food the goats were eating!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food