U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:42 AM

532 posts, read 909,156 times

Advertisements

Here's about dashi:

How To Make Dashi (Basic Japanese Sea Stock) ? La Fuji Mama

The kelp version i guess is vegan, with ****ake mushrooms. If I can't find that version, I'll look for kelp (not likely, I'm afraid though, may have to be pruchased online), and make it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM

19,842 posts, read 18,867,840 times
Well the dashi has fish in it--dried bonito flakes.

I have a cookbook (that I can see from here!!) that my former MD put out for her patients and I will come back on here with some of her ideas. Hers was a modified macrobiotic diet though. She was 100% strict and she said we had to be also. She had been very sick and, with the help of others, she finally cured herself. People said they would see her in restaurants drinking her bottled water that she brought with her and ordering only the things that were on her diet. She always said to bring stuff with you to the restaurant or you could starve.

I had less trouble with her diet because it was somewhat Americanized and her book has really helpful suggestions for coping and cooking this way.

Personally, I don't see a reason for eliminating fish. On the macro diet I got weak from lack of protein and I hated fish so I wasn't eating it. Now I live on a beach and very fresh fish is available so I am eating more fish than I did when I lived inland. I think Anon.chick had something to say about getting protein so I will go back and read that. Must run now but will check the macro cookbook and come back later.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 AM

The reason I won't eat them is because fish have feelings, are intelligent and feel pain.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM

Found the daikon raddish and the umeboshi vinegar but they did not have the dashi (I'm requesting it). Bought, instead, some organic $hitake mushroom broth, which should serve the purpose.

How to serve the daikon raddish:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/DaikonRadish.htm

Old 04-16-2013, 10:47 AM

I've always wondered if the daikon radish is superior to our own red radishes. From what I remember of the daikon, it tasted the same and was more expensive.

Yesterday I made pasta and white beans with steamed broccoli. It had olive oil and miso and it was good!

Today I made miso soup using spinach as the green and kombu as the seaweed. That was good too!

Now I have to go back to the book for more ideas. Then to the grocery store.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 AM

I had miso soup for breakfast, and it was good and quite filling. I garnished it with the grated daikon raddish, which yes, seems to me to taste exactly like our regular old raddish, maybe less harsh.

The miso soup was 1/2 $hitake mushroom broth/bottled water, julienne $hitake mushroom, potatoe and carrots, a sliced garlic clove, sliced ginger, with the miso paste added last. It was good. I was disappointed that I forgot to get green onions at the store, but next time.

So this is my first day doing or trying to do macrobiotic. I've got some brown rice cooking and going to stir-fry veggies with it for lunch.

Probably the coffee with Truvia and soy milk, and the bottled water/apple cider vinegar/honey is not part of that program, but not ready to give those up yet. Didn't buy whole wheat bread, though. But had the miso soup instead of oatmeal (which would have been fine), or fake breakfast sausage/grits/ww toast/soy margarine/sliced tomatoes.

Macrobiotic writings sometime include the prohibition of nightshade vegetables, tomatoes and potatoes. But miso soup can include potatoes. So not sure why this exclusion, or the exclusion of coffee.

I know I should probably quit watching television. Just saw "Django," and it was so violent it made me embittered and paranoid when I called my distributor this morning. I'm tempted to turn off the cabel tv which I keep on a lot for company. I should do something else with my time.

There are no microbiotic cooking classes here, or yoga, for that matter. I need to move.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,475,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
I'm going to see if I can find dashi today. I really like the taste of miso, but according to some recipes online for miso soup, one should wait to add the miso after cooking the other ingredients in order to get the full benefit. Also going to get the edamame, though it's in the frozen vegetable section.

Chewing a lot is a difficult habit to establish, at least for me. But all of this is, I am convinced, more healthy, both for the individual and the environment. And it's really not a diet or a temporary fix but a change in personal philosophy. But I'm preaching to the choir.

Looking forward to the miso soup, and not buying, today, whole wheat bread and tortillas, fake meat and a host of other things I usually purchase.
Good for you! Read the dashi labels since some have high sodium, dried fish, etc that you might not want.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM

Nori is available through SunOrganic and kombu through Amazon but I'm not going to make anything a habit which is not available locally. I think I didn't cook the edaname enough; I barely boiled it and now I have gas pains. Ouch!!!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 PM

Kombu is really good for you. It has calcium and a whole lot of other good stuff.

Another thing about it is that you can put it in with dried beans to soak overnight and it will tenderize them.

I cheated a little bit (?) tonight because I didn't feel like cooking. I had an all natural chicken pot pie, although I did take the chicken out and ate the vegetables and crust. (and the chicken gravy.) I'm not trying to be perfect, though. Sometimes we have bad days and we just have to do the best we can and maybe make up for it with a veggie or fruit juice or something else good.

Just thought of something: for the first time in my entire life, I live by the sea. Kombu is only a few steps away!!!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Kombu is really good for you. It has calcium and a whole lot of other good stuff.

Another thing about it is that you can put it in with dried beans to soak overnight and it will tenderize them.

I cheated a little bit (?) tonight because I didn't feel like cooking. I had an all natural chicken pot pie, although I did take the chicken out and ate the vegetables and crust. (and the chicken gravy.) I'm not trying to be perfect, though. Sometimes we have bad days and we just have to do the best we can and maybe make up for it with a veggie or fruit juice or something else good.

Just thought of something: for the first time in my entire life, I live by the sea. Kombu is only a few steps away!!!

People are vegan or vegetarian for different reasons. From an ethical standpoint, the chickens--natural or not--have much worse days then we ever do, and for that reason I wouldn't support that industry with one cent. Even so-called "free range," it's just hideous. It's an ethical issue and can't be made up by eating something good later; the chickens won't benefit from that, certainly.

My first day on the macrobiotic regime did not go well. Bad gas pains in the evening and all night, which I attribute to the undercooked edaname beans. Big mistake on my part and they went back in the freezer, to be thrown away when the trash is taken out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food