U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 AM

532 posts, read 905,712 times

Advertisements

[That's AR, not AT. Sorry, stupid phone] I stumbled onto an interesting and beautifully written book on Amazon, _The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics_ by Jessica Porter. Kind of a cheesy title, but a much better read than the title initially suggests. My only concern about pursuing this is the macrobiotics diet may include fish, which as an ethical vegan, I am not going to eat, at all.

Anybody know about the relationship between macrobiotics and veganism, historically. Or ever taken macrobiotic cooking classes? I'm starting to be more and more aware of how unhealthy or potentially unhealthy the environment and the foods available, are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,253,393 times
I used to live with housemates who lived a macrobiotic diet and lifestyle, they were very much into the whole yin/yang Japanese thing. The only things they included that a vegan wouldn't include, were fish and honey, but they only ate fish maybe a couple times during the week, and they made this desserty granola with sesame seeds, honey, raisins, almonds, and dried apricots that was delicious.

As long as you're getting enough vitamin B12 from fortified grain (such as cereal), and getting enough vitamin D from the sun or from supplements, you can enjoy a macrobiotic vegan diet. It's super high in grain consumption though, so if you have any reason or need to avoid too much grain, or if you have reason/need to not make grain the *main* ingredient in most of your meals, it might not be appropriate for you.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:25 PM

I'd kind of like to do that brown rice fast, where you do bowls of brown rice (organic, I would assume) and non-aromatic tea (not sure what that is...?? green tea??), chewing each bite of rice 100 times. I wonder if it would make me sick. I think you can throw in a few vegetables.

You can do it 1 to 10 days, I guess. I remember thinking about this in the late '60's, but have never done it. Googling "brown rice fast" resulted in:

http://www.allaboutfasting.com/rice-fasting.html

Last edited by jtaustin; 04-07-2013 at 04:47 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 04:51 PM

19,622 posts, read 18,693,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
I'd kind of like to do that brown rice fast, where you do bowls of brown rice (organic, I would assume) and non-aromatic tea (not sure what that is...?? green tea??), chewing each bite of rice 100 times. I wonder if it would make me sick. I think you can throw in a few vegetables.

You can do it 1 to 10 days, I guess. I remember thinking about this in the late '60's, but have never done it.
I remember reading about that brown rice diet but I also remember reading later that it was not healthy, not well balanced. I think that what AnonChick said about the macrobiotic diet is correct. I was on it for a while a long time ago and it was healing --and the food tasted good too. Lots of steamed greens.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:01 PM

I don't know what the brown rice diet is, but I'm only interested in the fast, maybe three days. Looks like you can do a good quality sea salt, maybe some miso.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM

19,622 posts, read 18,693,933 times
Quote:
I don't know what the brown rice diet is, but I'm only interested in the fast, maybe three days. Looks like you can do a good quality sea salt, maybe some miso.
I don't know about it either. The one from way back when consisted of brown rice and that was all. They ate that indefinitely. My doctor told me that a juice (vegetable) fast for three days would be beneficial as a cleansing diet.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:12 PM

We should probably distinguish between a diet and a fast; my vegan diet is fine. I'm inquiring about fasting, which evidently has to be proceeded and followed by certain behaviors, according to the information on that link.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,448,058 times
I followed a macrobiotic diet many years ago. I never took a cooking class, but had a dozen macrobiotic philosophy and cook books. I ate a lot of brown rice, aduki beans,miso, a half dozen types of seaweeds, vegetables, seeds, tofu, tempeh. I probably SHOULD have taken a cooking class, since my cooking was pretty bland. We called it hippie glop back then LOL.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,539,229 times
Quote:
My only concern about pursuing this is the macrobiotics diet may include fish, which as an ethical vegan, I am not going to eat, at all.
Some people on macrobiotics eat fish, some eat small amounts of meat, others eat neither. It's a personal choice.

Quote:
Anybody know about the relationship between macrobiotics and veganism, historically.
Having followed both at different points in my life, I'd say there is no relationship, despite superficial similarities. They're based on completely different philosophies.

Quote:
Or ever taken macrobiotic cooking classes?
Yes, I took classes at Kushi Institute in Massachusets, epicenter of American macrobiotic life. Macro (long) Biotics (life) theory was first popularized in Japan, particularly by George Oshawa, then in the USA by Michio Kushi. Macrobiotics is about prolonging life by balancing life energies known as yin and yang, and avoiding extremes.

The basics are simple... 40-60% brown rice, Greens and vegetables: 2530%, Beans and legumes: 510%, Miso soup (fermented soybean paste): 5%, Seaweed 5%, other simple foods: 510%. No spices. Simple condiments, like crushed sesame seeds and soy sauce. It's simple and bland, like the rural Japanese diets which inspired it.

Macrobiotics first became known to the American public during the Hippie Era, and became popular with Hippies, which is why Hippies are associated with brown rice and simple vegetarian dishes.

As far as fasting, the simplest version is simply to not eat anything at all for a period of time. Abstaining from food is a time honored way to meditate, to combat sickness, to cleanse the body, etc. Many people have difficulty not eating at all, so partial fasts of all kinds have been developed, primarily to deal with the hunger pangs of not eating. For multi-day fasts often juices or very light eating are employed to avoid weakness or dizziness. You should approach fasting carefully, a little at a time, because everyone's physical response is different.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 AM

According to the book I'm reading (see OP), there is a strong spiritual element associated with the microbiotic regime. Did you find that to be the case, OpenD?

I read that John and Yoko were into this and introduced it to John Cage and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food