U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 PM

271 posts, read 487,317 times

Advertisements

I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan, and I do not act morally superior at all. I don't even mention it to anyone, unless they ask why I don't eat meat, and then I say I just don't like it. I never get preachy.

But I have had plenty of omnivores say, look at this nice juicy steak (or burger, or fried chicken or whatever), I bet you wish you could have some. Or the people that say that if meat wasn't eaten the cows, pigs and chickens would overrun the world.

So this does go both ways with some people.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 PM

863 posts, read 2,577,327 times
Interesting topic. There are many reasons for be vegan, but if it has to do with healthfullness of (processed) meat products, one needs to look at how processed soy-based "meat" products are. It's almost hypocritical.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:59 PM

36,502 posts, read 41,720,253 times
I grew up on a farm, and am familiar with the ins and outs of raising what you eat...I also spent a good portion of my time working in print journalism doing agricultural reporting and writing. I've been aware of the quality of sustainably produced meat at small-scale, family operations vs. the mass production of factory farms all my life, and grew up with people who did organic and free range before anybody was calling it organic or free range or thought it was cool or innovative. I'm pretty informed, and I make my choices accordingly. If people want to watch a documentary and have an epiphany and change their diet, good for them, but I already know what's going on behind the curtain. I don't care what dietary choices people make, but the idea that the reason I eat meat must be because I don't know any better, and if I REALLY KNEW about what's in our food, blah blah,I'd be horrified and swear off it? Ridiculous. My choices are as informed, if not moreso, than anybody else's.

I also often choose to eat meatless, typically because it's cheaper...but I don't do meat substitutes. I just eat more vegetables, legumes, etc. The whole meat substitute thing is a racket, to me.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM

9,548 posts, read 10,862,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Thank you. This REALLY made me laugh... so easy to picture. Three of our offspring have gone the vegan route now so we're very used to seeing plates of "soy" turkey and some sort of wheat shepherds pie on the table. One of them has gone the extra distance to convert her apartment into some sort of animal hospice complete with breathing tubes for sick cats as well. It's all very commendable but I don't appreciate the judgements, lectures and endless videos of how chickens are slaughtered. There's a lot wrong with this world, yes. But let me deal with my own problems first!
You certainly gave your children a strong sense of moral responsibility. In a world where few are willing to take responsibility for their actions you are to be congratulated.

There is no question that factory farms are ghastly places for animals. Thankfully, people like your children are performing a great service in making people aware of this. Where I live no one needs to eat factory eggs or chickens. We have humane sources of eggs all year. They also taste much better.

When we strongly believe in something we wish to share that belief with those we love. Obviously your children love you. Listen to them and try to understand. Think about the origin of your food. Share some of their vegan meals; you'll be surprised when you find some of them are quite tasty. Try spending a little more for eggs and chicken. When you're eating be happy that the animals had good lives. You'll feel better about yourself as well.

Try to help your daughter in caring for sick animals. You know you're proud of her for doing it. Try cooking some decent vegetarian fare at home, not that horrible make believe meat. Your words indicate to me that you're already uncomfortable eating meat; there's no disgrace in not eating it.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM

12,193 posts, read 10,378,565 times
The philosophy is morally superior, but at the end of the day, food is a very personal subject, and most people don't like to be questioned for their choices.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:10 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,251,003 times
I don't believe that eating meat is immoral, but I do think it is one of those things taken for granted in the first world.

I like Anthony Bourdain's take on eating meat, in this video.

ANTHONY BOURDAIN dishes on Food - StarTalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson - YouTube

The segment about meat begins at about 20:05.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:19 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,042,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Three of our offspring have gone the vegan route now so we're very used to seeing plates of "soy" turkey and some sort of wheat shepherds pie on the table . . .

Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,934,615 times
Is a vegan morally superior?

We all meet the same end regardless if we eat root or meet. .

Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,926,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Are vegans morally superior to omnivores? Your thoughts?
Yes, but I don't care. Neither should anyone with any sense who isn't Buddhist. And probably not even them.

I don't see why everyone has such a hard time 'fessing up to their bad habits or admitting that others can better themselves. If a vegan wants to sacrifice bacon so they can walk around with their nose in the air, more power to them. Thanks for not burning up all the oil, pastureland, antibiotics, and toxic waste or whatever it takes to make a steak. I appreciate your sacrifice, because it means more for me, lazy, greedy jerk that I am.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 PM

329 posts, read 792,130 times
It depends on how you define morality, which means different things in different cultures. If you define morality as minimizing the suffering of other animals, then yes, they would be morally superior. However, it also depends on how they treat other humans and the planet as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food