U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 PM

335 posts, read 577,659 times

Advertisements

I like to know what some of you use in place of eggs for baking and cooking where the ingredients request Eggs?

PS. before you post your reply I also eliminated, Tofu, Gluten, Sugar, Corn, Peanuts, From my diet, so anything including the listed would not work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,468,356 times
I have used freshly ground flaxseed meal in lieu of eggs.

I made buckwheat-walnut-flaxseed meal pancakes this morning & they were delicious without eggs.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I have used freshly ground flaxseed meal in lieu of eggs.

I made buckwheat-walnut-flaxseed meal pancakes this morning & they were delicious without eggs.
thanks ca you give measurements? how many flaxseeds per egg. I just did some research and found this product.

Ener-G gluten-free Egg Replacer

Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 PM

Don't use whole flaxseeds; instead, use freshly ground flaxseed meal. I have a special coffee grinder just for flaxseed. I can't tell you any measurements! I make my Sunday pancakes by dumping in this, dumping in that, depending on my mood LOL. Adding a splash of olive oil. Adding rice milk to the right consistency. I do it all by sight. I put in about a heaping tablespoon of flaxseed meal.

I usually use some whole wheat flour, which you will have to omit since you are gluten-intolerant.

I usually use aluminum-free baking powder. However, this morning I was out, so I used some baking soda instead & that worked fine.

Hopefully, someone else will have an exacting recipe that is gluten-free.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:43 PM

Thanks, BTW i am not sure i am Gluten intolerant that i am sure of, but i noticed that since i omit say 95 of the time i feel better. same with the other items i removed. I did part one of New Site i did not do cycle 2 or three so i really don't know what it is i have intolerances too. I will try it again and do the other cycles Jan 2014. that is the best time for me to detox.

I use coconut or tapioca flour in place of Corn flour or other Gluten Flours.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,339,065 times
1 tablespoons of whole flaxseed, ground in a coffeee grinder, and mixed with 2 tablespoons of water = 1 egg. Doesn't work in brownies, for some reason, but for all other baking I've tried it's been fine. I find when I'm breading parsnips or something with the flaxseed eggs, I need to add about twice as much water.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
1 tablespoons of whole flaxseed, ground in a coffeee grinder, and mixed with 2 tablespoons of water = 1 egg. Doesn't work in brownies, for some reason, but for all other baking I've tried it's been fine. I find when I'm breading parsnips or something with the flaxseed eggs, I need to add about twice as much water.
thank you what do you use for the brownies......I LOVE brownies. lol

Old 04-21-2013, 02:01 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,339,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
thank you what do you use for the brownies......I LOVE brownies. lol
I buy the just-add-a-tub-of-yogurt brownie mix in the health foods aisle and add soygurt, 'cuz I can't have dairy.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I buy the just-add-a-tub-of-yogurt brownie mix in the health foods aisle and add soygurt, 'cuz I can't have dairy.
I never heard of this brand have to check it out and see if i can add a coconut based product to it. THANKS

Old 04-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
I never heard of this brand have to check it out and see if i can add a coconut based product to it. THANKS
Unfortunately, those will probably have flour/gluten in the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food