Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:01 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Cooking also makes some things more bio-available e.g. lycopene and carotenoids.
My point was merely that differ processing methods have different consequences, just because one form of processing is relatively harmless doesn't mean others will be as well.

Quote:
I'm not aware of any studies showing that blending destroys fiber and it seems highly unlikely. If mastication, gastric acid, going through the intestines, and bacteria (for the most part) can't break down cellulose I doubt that a blender will. They are extremely tiny molecules.
I said "plant fibers" and that is a bit vague, but you are trying to equate "plant fibers" with one molecule (cellulose), that doesn't make much sense. The cellular walls of plants are rather obviously destroyed when blending, if they weren't you'd still have a whole food

Refining a grain doesn't destroy the starch, but it does destroy the natural package of the starch and heavy blending would do the same for fruits and vegetables. We know that in the case of grains eating the parts isn't the same as eating the whole, that is, eating a refined wheat product and taking some bran supplement isn't the same as eating whole wheat.

Quote:
I take fruit with me all the time, both fresh and dried. But a piece of fruit is not that satiating really. When I'm at work for 9 hours fruit only goes so far. After lifting heavy weights for an hour fruit only goes so far.
So you think drinking your calories is more satiating? A single piece of fruit isn't that satiating because its only 80~120 calories hardly enough to fuel your body for an hour while inactive. The issue here is that most people think its "strange" to eat 2~3 pieces of fruit at a time, yet they'll do it if you blend it up.

Regardless, beyond a treat, I'd be concerned with smoothies casing weight gain due to all the processed (blending is processing....) sugars in them. If you made a vegetable smoothie, I suppose that wouldn't be so bad....but it wouldn't be tasty and would be pretty low calorie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:45 AM

65 posts, read 149,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
My point was merely that differ processing methods have different consequences, just because one form of processing is relatively harmless doesn't mean others will be as well.

I said "plant fibers" and that is a bit vague, but you are trying to equate "plant fibers" with one molecule (cellulose), that doesn't make much sense. The cellular walls of plants are rather obviously destroyed when blending, if they weren't you'd still have a whole food

Refining a grain doesn't destroy the starch, but it does destroy the natural package of the starch and heavy blending would do the same for fruits and vegetables. We know that in the case of grains eating the parts isn't the same as eating the whole, that is, eating a refined wheat product and taking some bran supplement isn't the same as eating whole wheat.

So you think drinking your calories is more satiating? A single piece of fruit isn't that satiating because its only 80~120 calories hardly enough to fuel your body for an hour while inactive. The issue here is that most people think its "strange" to eat 2~3 pieces of fruit at a time, yet they'll do it if you blend it up.

Regardless, beyond a treat, I'd be concerned with smoothies casing weight gain due to all the processed (blending is processing....) sugars in them. If you made a vegetable smoothie, I suppose that wouldn't be so bad....but it wouldn't be tasty and would be pretty low calorie.
I actually am trying to gain weight at the moment as I am 5'6 1/2 and currently only weigh 118 pounds. Although I am concerned about getting too much sugar in my diet. In my smoothies the only fruit I put in is 1/2 of a medium banana (I eat the other half while making it), 1 handful of frozen blueberries, 2 large strawberries and about 1 tsp (give or take) of pomegranete extract. Sometimes I eat the banana with my breakfast rather than put in my smoothie, but I drink a small 1 cup glass of prune juice upon wakening right before breakfast so don't want to get too much sugar for that meal either. Most of what I put in my smoothie is protein powder which is a mix of sprouted grains and brown rice protein, powdered greens (Green Vibrance or equivalent), 1 tbsp almond butter, almond milk and occasionally some kale. Since I was trying eating only this for lunch as a meal replacement and lost weight I would say I needed more calories so I have been eating a small meal (either a salad or baked sweet potato) with it for more calories. I'm also mostly gluten free so I don't eat breads or whole wheat tortillas/wraps and gluten free ones taste like cardboard. I need to gain about 7 pounds.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Vegetable smoothies with minimal fruit can be delicious...don't listen to theories from those that know nothing about healthful smoothies and who don't drink them. KRISTY you and I eat similarly...but I am completely gluten free. I am almost 5'10" and weigh 135....but I too am regularly losing weight. I am where I want to be in the weight department. My doctor told me to start eating more starchy carbs in order to help my weight to become more stable.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Vegetable smoothies with minimal fruit can be delicious...don't listen to theories from those that know nothing about healthful smoothies and who don't drink them. KRISTY you and I eat similarly...but I am completely gluten free. I am almost 5'10" and weigh 135....but I too am regularly losing weight. I am where I want to be in the weight department. My doctor told me to start eating more starchy carbs in order to help my weight to become more stable.
I just went to the doctor and he told me to eat more calories also. He tested my thyroid and vitamin D levels and both turned out good. I'm suppose to go in for a blood sugar/cholesterol/CBC Blood count soon, but they left my arm bruised up from the last blood test that I think I will wait a while. I noticed gluten in general doesn't bother me if eaten in small amounts, but breads and whole wheat wraps tend to mess up my digestion so I avoid them.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyD View Post
I actually am trying to gain weight at the moment as I am 5'6 1/2 and currently only weigh 118 pounds.
Now compared to the average overweight American that may seem low, but you're within a normal weight range so why are you trying to gain? Does your weight keep dropping?

Regardless, the smoothies you're making are highly processed, you're not only processing the fruit but you're including a lot of highly processed products in them (protein powder, powdered greens, etc). The benefit from fruits and vegetables is derived from eating them whole, not processed. But if that doesn't bother you..okay. If you're looking to gain weight drink the smoothie in addition to your standard meals, people usually drink smoothies as "meal replacements" as a sort of weight loss strategy. Also, you may want to eat more fat.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Now compared to the average overweight American that may seem low, but you're within a normal weight range so why are you trying to gain? Does your weight keep dropping?

Regardless, the smoothies you're making are highly processed, you're not only processing the fruit but you're including a lot of highly processed products in them (protein powder, powdered greens, etc). The benefit from fruits and vegetables is derived from eating them whole, not processed. But if that doesn't bother you..okay. If you're looking to gain weight drink the smoothie in addition to your standard meals, people usually drink smoothies as "meal replacements" as a sort of weight loss strategy.
That doctor said my weight was low for my body mass index. He didn't see it as critical but a couple of weeks ago I weighed 120-121. Before I started eating more vegetarian/plant-based I weighed 125-128. That is the weight I want to be.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyD View Post
That doctor said my weight was low for my body mass index. He didn't see it as critical but a couple of weeks ago I weighed 120-121. Before I started eating more vegetarian/plant-based I weighed 125-128. That is the weight I want to be.
Your in the lower range of normal, your not underweight. The doctor may be concerned that you have an eating disorder, that or he/she just has a skewed notion of weight. Today the average American is overweight, so being in the lower range of normal can appear really skinny.

Regardless, crafting a healthy vegetarian diet isn't intuitive since we are in a meat-based culture. You shouldn't have to rely on protein powders, smoothies and other such things to get your nutrition. A good book that explains the details of vegetarian nutrition is "The new becoming vegetarian". If you haven't read a vegetarian nutrition book from front to back yet, I'd highly suggest you do. Relying on intuition isn't going to work.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:52 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Quote:
It probably destroys some, but plant cells are very small, ~50 micrometers on average, and blending times usually pretty short. And these cell walls are broken down by cooking or digestion anyway. So again all blending does is likely speed up digestion a little. If you just got done with an intense workout and your body is in a catabolic state, that's a good thing. If your body weight is well controlled, that's probably not much of a concern. If you're trying to lose weight, all other things being equal, it might be better to eat your food, or at least to blend foods that aren't as high in sugar.

Quote:
How do we know that? I think eating refined wheat along with germ and bran would probably be very similar to eating whole wheat as long as you're consuming them at the same time.

Quote:
No, I think drinking calories is generally less satiating like I said in the last post. But when you're blending whole foods which include fiber and everything else, not just the juice, it's probably only marginally less satiating. If you're comparing a smoothie that has a wide variety of things in it, vs. just fruit, the smoothie is going to be more satiating. A smoothie can be more of a complete meal depending on what you put in it.

When I make a smoothie it typically only has 1 piece of fruit, or a handful of berries. Usually the rest is almond milk, ginger, greens, and other stuff. I don't generally make smoothies loaded with fruit, and if I do, it's usually right after a hard workout when my body is an empty furnace.

Quote:
Well, if you're trying to lose weight, or worried about gaining weight, I would agree with you that smoothie with tons of fruit is not the best thing to consume. But for other circumstances it's a great way to get nutrition.

For me taste isn't a concern, I can chug it in about 5 seconds. The food I eat must taste good, but a drink? I never understood that.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:39 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
There are no credible studies to suggest that blending fruits and vegetables destroys either their nutrients or fiber. It is a myth promoted by raw foodies and one doctor who got rich off a book he wrote about it.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
If you want to gain weight, how about making your smoothies with full fat yogurt for a while if you're using dairy. Fruit is going to go right through you. If you're non dairy, nut butters will help with the weight gain--almond butter on crackers--in addition to your meals and smoothies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food