Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times

Advertisements

KRISTY listen to your doctor not some stranger who doesn't agree with your doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM

65 posts, read 149,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
KRISTY listen to your doctor not some stranger who doesn't agree with your doctor.
I have been eating more calories as my doctor recommended. I'm trying to get back up to 125 or so as I feel that is a good weight for me.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 PM

I think 125 sounds about right. I'm a little over an inch taller and quite a bit older and 135 seems right for me.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Without commenting on any of the previous post with regard to weight loss/gain, pros/cons of processing food this way, etc., I will say yes, I have done this off and on for years, but for breakfast, when I am in a situation where I have to be out of the house very early.

My reasoning is simple; I just don't like *eating* in the first hour after I wake up. If I am able to stay home for a while, I will eat a regular breakfast within a couple hours after waking. If I have to leave in a short time after waking though, I don't like to actually eat, and having a smoothie lets me get out with something in my stomach besides just coffee. It keeps me from feeling hungry until lunch.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
It probably destroys some, but plant cells are very small, ~50 micrometers on average, and blending times usually pretty short. And these cell walls are broken down by cooking or digestion anyway.
You're still focusing on the molecules, it isn't about the molecules instead how the molecules are grouped together. And the fact that it will get broken down by "digestion" is just the point, you should be letting your digestive system do the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
I think eating refined wheat along with germ and bran would probably be very similar to eating whole wheat as long as you're consuming them at the same time.
Its not, once you remove the endosperm from its natural package the starch becomes readily available....eating bran at the same time doesn't change that. How things are packaged together matters, decades of nutritional reductionism make that painfully clear.

Regardless, even if some nutrients are lost by this sort of processing the main issue is that drinking your calories in this fashion can promote weight gain....but the OP is trying to gain weight so this issue is largely moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
There are no credible studies to suggest that blending fruits and vegetables destroys either their nutrients or fiber..
Blending fruits and vegetables destroys the natural package, it separates things and that is the issue.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 AM

Remember the Ignore feature.....it is a wonderful thing.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyD View Post
I've been doing this about 4 days a week as a quick lunch replacement and wondered if anyone else does the same. I have been making smoothies with a little kale, blueberries, strawberries, a banana, pomegranete extract, 1 tbsp raw almond butter, protein powder, greens powder and almond milk. It winds up being around 400-450 calories. Anyone think this is enough for a lunch replacement if it makes me feel full until dinner?

I am doing the same thing right now but less fruit, and less stuff in general. I feel great.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Without commenting on any of the previous post with regard to weight loss/gain, pros/cons of processing food this way, etc., I will say yes, I have done this off and on for years, but for breakfast, when I am in a situation where I have to be out of the house very early.

My reasoning is simple; I just don't like *eating* in the first hour after I wake up. If I am able to stay home for a while, I will eat a regular breakfast within a couple hours after waking. If I have to leave in a short time after waking though, I don't like to actually eat, and having a smoothie lets me get out with something in my stomach besides just coffee. It keeps me from feeling hungry until lunch.

I don't either. I prefer a smoothy. I think it's a great idea and I feel satiated and ready to go. Some people have some unusual ideas here. Ignore.

Smoothies ROCK!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:57 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Smoothies are processed food. Foods that are beneficial for our mouth gets swallowed down and our teeth and saliva doesn't get to help break down these foods that may good for our teeth and gums or food that naturally freshens our breath.

The "when" and "where" of eating is sometimes more important than the "what" of eating. If I have to travel a lot I don't think of eating meals. I pack a small cooler with my 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables, a zip lock full of nuts, a V-8 some yogurt and whole wheat bread.

If I get to the motel before 4 or 5, I will eat out, if not I make sure the cooler is empty by late evening. If I get to eat out three or four times a week that's plenty. If you are some one who is trying to gain weight then eat a little of what farmers feed animal to make them fat.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 PM

There are a few "smoothie" advocates who highly recommend chewing while you drink your smoothie...I don't do this enough - but do it when I think of it. I copied the following from
Are You Getting the Most Out of Your Raw Smoothies? | Fit On Raw - Raw Food for Practical Fitness

Chewing vs. Drinking

Even though it’s easy to drink down a sweet smoothie in just a few gulps, you really shouldn’t. If you want to get the most out of your fruity drink, you need to chew it.

That’s because digestion begins in the mouth, not the stomach. When you chew your food, you secrete saliva. This saliva helps to lubricate the food and your esophagus, but it also contains enzymes that initiate the chemical digestion of the food.

In addition, chewing also helps let the rest of your digestive organs know that food is on the way, i.e. the stomach starts producing hydrochloric acid and the pancreas starts secreting digestive enzymes.

But if you swallow without chewing—even if it’s something drinkable like a smoothie that doesn’t need to be broken down mechanically—you miss an important part of the digestive process.

Chemical digestion in the mouth will likely be hampered because the food won’t spend enough time with your saliva and your stomach and intestines may not receive the signal that food is on the way.

Plus, if you don’t chew, you’ll be more likely to eat too much too quickly, which is an easy and quick way to impair digestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food