U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:32 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,917,595 times

Advertisements

Yet you can die from not having enough salt when you are exercising vigorously in the heat....we need to listen to our doctors not just "our bodies."

Years ago just before my husband joined the Los Angeles Police Dept. (he is retired now), several LAPD off duty officers (young, in-shape men) died in the desert (they were having fun on dirt bikes or motorcycles - can't remember)....they had water in their water bottles but they died from heat stroke (depletion of salt)....deaths from heat exhaustion can be avoided....watch your body temp and cool down occasionally and make sure you have eaten sufficient salt and drink water regularly.....please read the links I posted - it could save your life or the lives of others you know.

Please remember "our bodies" don't always know what is good for them (especially when we allow our "opinions" take over)...and where heat/vigorous exercise and salt intake is concerned you are playing with your life if you only "listen to your body." We become extremely disoriented when heat exhaustion or stroke occurs and by the point of heat stroke, it is often too late to do anything that will save our lives.

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-27-2013 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 AM

71,689 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Yesterday I went outdoor and hiked some 20 km and on relatively warm weather and I feelt much more confortably which confirmed my theory, that salt added unaturally in food is the cause of discomfort during physical effort or hot temperature, not only because of the salty sweat but mostly because it creates a sort of pain in flesh. You know, like when you pour salt on a open wound.

I just wait to climb some mountains now, knowing that I won't experience anymore the nuisance that was ruining my trips (and everybody's else), making me say I won't go to mountains again.
Oh my gosh, I can't believe you would associate the salt you have eliminated from your diet with salt on an open wound, but if you think taking salt out of your diet makes you feel better and is good for you, so be it. I wonder what you will think when you pass out from too little sodium in your system or do you really thing, all those who have had this happen to them are simply making these stories up?

I am glad you think the lack of salt is helping you, I don't know what you call relatively warm weather, but for some reason I think your idea of warm and most of our ideas are a little different.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 AM

71,689 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Yet you can die from not having enough salt when you are exercising vigorously in the heat....we need to listen to our doctors not just "our bodies."

Years ago just before my husband joined the Los Angeles Police Dept. (he is retired now), several LAPD off duty officers (young, in-shape men) died in the desert (they were having fun on dirt bikes or motorcycles - can't remember)....they had water in their water bottles but they died from heat stroke (depletion of salt)....deaths from heat exhaustion can be avoided....watch your body temp and cool down occasionally and make sure you have eaten sufficient salt and drink water regularly.....please read the links I posted - it could save your life or the lives of others you know.

Please remember "our bodies" don't always know what is good for them (especially when we allow our "opinions" take over)...and where heat/vigorous exercise and salt intake is concerned you are playing with your life if you only "listen to your body." We become extremely disoriented when heat exhaustion or stroke occurs and by the point of heat stroke, it is often too late to do anything that will save our lives.
Glad to hear your husband was with the LAPD. We have several friends that are also retired from LAPD. I know this is off topic, I just wanted to add that little bit.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 AM

9,351 posts, read 10,140,337 times
Eating right makes all the diffrence. For instance I plan to over extend myself out doors today but I will have a big Greek salad complete with olives, celery and lettuce. A banana, orange, yogurt and V8. That is a light meal packed with sodium and electrolytes. I'm up to about 40 oz of liquid for the day so far.

People grilling meat and drinking beer will poop out faster me. Those are two of the worst things you can eat on a hot day out doors.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:16 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,542,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I can see how outside activities can be enhanced by not having too much salt in the body.Too much salt will raise your blood presure and make your organs spongy and not function well. We need to pay attention to all of the electrolytes in our bodies and not just salt when we are doing outside activities.
Funny, when i was a kid and we went hiking salt tablets were a required staple, because a lot of sweating could dangerously reduce your sodium level unless you supplemented it. You could faint if you sweated out all of your salt!

Then we went into a period when salt was demonized, and excess salt in the diet was blamed for all kinds of problems.

Now we have new research that shows the fears of consuming excess salt have been considerably overblown... and some people can't accept the latest information.

People are funny.

Last edited by OpenD; 05-27-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 PM

9,351 posts, read 10,140,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Funny, when i was a kid and we went hiking salt tablets were a required staple, because a lot of sweating could dangerously reduce your sodium level unless you supplemented it. You could faint if you sweated out all of your salt!

Then we went into a period when salt was demonized, and excess salt in the diet was blamed for all kinds of problems.

Now we have new research that shows the fears of consuming excess salt have been considerably overblown... and some people can't accept the latest information.

People are funny.
I use georgraphy to help find food to eat this time of year
Diet

SAHARA Mantra:

No added sugar- read food labels to avoid hidden sources of sugar
Choose lower fat dairy products and cheese
No processed foods
No fried foods
Salt in moderation; unlimited spices
Eat from all food groups (no extremes - i.e only a peanut butter diet)
Main Drinks: Water, Milk. Coffee/Tea in moderation

Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,323,635 times
Meh. Everything in moderation except meat. Trying to get rid of dairy too.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:33 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,015,930 times
A month after and I feel better than ever. Some days after I stopped eating salted bread and tomato sauce (I have a very limited diet and these were the only things containing salt) I felt dizzy but later problems vanished. Today I walked many hours in hot weather (30C / 86F) and had not any problem, in fact in the evening I felt an extraordinary physical peace and ofcourse is not only now, this will be permanent from now on. I mean, after some weeks the toxins are eliminated and as a result the metabolism is improved and changed in a measure.

Something similar happened when I became vegetarian, then vegan, but on lower scale.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM

7,103 posts, read 9,307,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Why? The human anatomy, doesn't need added salt, salt began to be used only in late prehistory. Salt is not everywhere in the world and in past there were human groups that couldn't obtain or maybe even don't know what it is.
Humans evolved by the seashore. Olduvai Gorge, where all the oldest human fossils are, used to be seashore -- in fact we evolved on an island surrounded by an inland sea in what is now East Africa. As far back as recorded history goes, salt has been used as money. People living away from the ocean find other sources of salt -- - desert dwellers insist on it as a crucial method of preventing lethal dehydration. Just sayin'.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:26 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,015,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Humans evolved by the seashore. Olduvai Gorge, where all the oldest human fossils are, used to be seashore -- in fact we evolved on an island surrounded by an inland sea in what is now East Africa. As far back as recorded history goes, salt has been used as money. People living away from the ocean find other sources of salt -- - desert dwellers insist on it as a crucial method of preventing lethal dehydration. Just sayin'.
Most peoples lived and live inland and salt began being extracted only in Neolithic. Tens of millenia before, when humans were hunters - gatherers, they didn't use salt:
History of salt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, only marine animals assimilate NaCl, most of terrestrial animals don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food