Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:45 PM

639 posts, read 1,119,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes it is - that's why I never said that. I said it's pointless to obsess about demanding organically grown foods *because* of a lack of pesticides, because pesticides ARE allowed to be used.

Furthermore, just because it's organic, doesn't mean it's good for you. I can grow organic nightshade and it'll make you just as sick if you eat it, as if I had used chemical fertilizers. Organic wheat will make a person with Celiac very very sick, just as sick as if it was wheat grown with chemical pesticides. On the other hand, if I use Roundup outside the stone border of my garden (I use nothing at all in it), my oregano will taste and smell exactly the same as if I didn't use Roundup. The garden itself is left to nature to handle - but the surrounding area is not. Technically, my garden is organic. Even though there are trace amounts of chemical wasp killer and weed killer that have leeched through the soil from outside it. This is true for ALL properties within close proximity to growers who use chemical substances to nurture or protect their crops.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't try to eliminate them. It DOES mean that if you believe that your personal rejection of the use of pesticides in your garden, means there aren't any in your garden, then you need to adjust your belief system.
As someone with an environmental health graduate degree, you're more likely to be harmed in a physical accident than experience health effects from trace pesticides in your salad.

Pyrenthoids replaced DDT and other chlorinated pesticides. In a nutshell, they are less toxic but not toxic free.

Don't get me wrong I'm not for pesticides at all. I hope one day we'll find a way where we don't have to use pesticides. But for now I would say it's better to eat non-organic fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. than to not eat them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:04 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,011,681 times
Quote:
If you have an organic farm growing Haas avocados, then the farm is growing GMOs. You -can- buy organic Haas avocados.
Haas avocados aren't a GMO crop.

In any case, pesticides are a problem in the entire food chain not just fruits and vegetables.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 PM

1,896 posts, read 2,016,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Haas avocados aren't a GMO crop.

In any case, pesticides are a problem in the entire food chain not just fruits and vegetables.

I didnt think they were but I didn't wanna take the time to look it up. Doesnt make sense to create and license a gm crop for something that grows on a tree or perennial. They like the annual payment for seeds.

I agree with your last also. GMO is a big unknown, but its just a symptom of the real problem. A handful of giant corporations own our entire food system from seed to distribution and they are rapidly acquiring a large share of water rights. People need to be re-educated about where our food and water comes from. There are a lot of people in large cities that would become worthless parasites if something was to disrupt the supply of food or water. Everyone should learn basic survival skills on how to feed yourself and collect and treat water.

Everyone should also have a months worth of food and the basic stuff to make water safe to drink. A plan on getting out is highly advisable also. Many thing much more real than zombies can quickly make those things life savers.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:59 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,721,705 times
Quote:
If you have an organic farm growing Haas avocados, then the farm is growing GMOs. You -can- buy organic Haas avocados.
Hass avocados are not GMO. The original Hass tree was planted in 1926, decades before scientists even knew what DNA's structure looked like.

All the Hass avocado trees in the world are just cuttings from that tree that were grafted onto seedlings.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,666,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Hass avocados are not GMO. The original Hass tree was planted in 1926, decades before scientists even knew what DNA's structure looked like.

All the Hass avocado trees in the world are just cuttings from that tree that were grafted onto seedlings.
Yes this was pointed out to me already in a previous post from UserID. I stand corrected. Regardless - there is no way of knowing if a fruit you are eating is GMO or simply a hybrid (grafting or cross-pollination or any other method). The end result is genetic modification - even if it doesn't fit the legal definition of a GMO. Sort of like using rGBH in milk cows, and the resulting milk. There exists no way of knowing if the milk you're drinking came from a cow that was injected with rGBH, or not, because GBH and rGBH are molecularly identical. There is no test that can prove what's in the milk - only what's in the cow. So unless you're the farmer, and are treating and milking the cow yourself, you have no way of knowing if the certification of the dairy farm is worth the paper it's written on or not.

Same with GMO foods.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,011,681 times
GMO is not just "genetic modification", its genetic modification via genetic engineering. Nearly everything humans eat has been "genetically modified" over the last 10,000 years, but little of it is GMO.

There is no reason to believe Haas Avocados or a number of other crops are GMO, its not like small farmers can create their own GMO crops.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 PM

607 posts, read 1,389,475 times
Well, let's see here......I can live longer, but be unhappy or live less longer, but be happy. I think I'll take the latter.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:56 PM

584 posts, read 574,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
Well, let's see here......I can live longer, but be unhappy or live less longer, but be happy. I think I'll take the latter.
Are you saying vegetarians can't be happy? Do you actually believe that, or are you just trying to get a reaction?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM

842 posts, read 1,142,234 times
Generally yes. Unless you're a eating a mostly fruitarian diet like Steve Jobs, then you might end up with pancreatic cancer.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:20 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,661,982 times
A connection far less likely than the connection one could make between the deaths of numerous notable figures and their eating of meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food