U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,267,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
GMO is not just "genetic modification", its genetic modification via genetic engineering. Nearly everything humans eat has been "genetically modified" over the last 10,000 years, but little of it is GMO.

There is no reason to believe Haas Avocados or a number of other crops are GMO, its not like small farmers can create their own GMO crops.
Erm, yes they can. They would need to buy GMO seeds. That's one of the big "deals" about GMO technology that has California (the nanny state) in such a tizzy. As I said - there exists no way of knowing if a product is the result of GMO technology or not. GMO seeds are commonplace now (those would be the seeds produced by GMO-grown plants) and they are not marked as such on the packaging, and the guy in the Agway wouldn't be able to tell you one way or another. The grower might - unless of course the grower got the plants from elsewhere and is just a seed producer - then he might not even know if the plants he received were GMO.
If you're getting your fruits and veggies from a farm that buys Monsanto seeds, then sure - you can assume they're probably GMO fruits and veggies (second generation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 05:36 AM

71,711 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
Vegetarians Live Longer Than Meat-Eaters, Study Finds - WSJ.com

looks like being a vegetarian is good for your health
Ok, the study shows this: but who did the study? Did you take into consideration the source? Seven Day Adventists also do not drink alcohol, they do not smoke, and they live a very different life than some might realize. This is why I don't put much into any of these studies. There are too many other factors to consider.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 AM

113 posts, read 129,587 times
Iv been vegan about 13 years and was vegetarian for 10 years befor that.I gro my own vegetables for myself not for sale.Since I never get sick.Iv never had the flu and havnt had a cold in 5 maybe 6 years,not real sure.My blood pressure is always excellent according to the doctor.I dont know if its got to do with being vegan but my health has only been like this since I went vegan.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:07 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,237,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Erm, yes they can. They would need to buy GMO seeds. That's one of the big "deals" about GMO technology that has California (the nanny state) in such a tizzy. As I said - there exists no way of knowing if a product is the result of GMO technology or not. GMO seeds are commonplace now (those would be the seeds produced by GMO-grown plants) and they are not marked as such on the packaging, and the guy in the Agway wouldn't be able to tell you one way or another. The grower might - unless of course the grower got the plants from elsewhere and is just a seed producer - then he might not even know if the plants he received were GMO.
If you're getting your fruits and veggies from a farm that buys Monsanto seeds, then sure - you can assume they're probably GMO fruits and veggies (second generation).
If it's soybean, rapeseed/canola, corn grown in the US it's probably GMO. If it's Hawaiian papaya, sugar beets, and some types of squash and zucchini, there's a decent chance it's GMO.

In China they're growing some GMO varieties of tomatoes and sweet peppers in small quantities but these aren't sold in the US.

There's no GMO wheat on the market yet as far as I know, and most fruits and vegetables aren't GMO. There was a GMO tomato the flavr savr a while back but it's no longer grown. There was a GMO New Leaf potato but it got pulled when people made a big fuss towards McDonald's for using it about 10 years ago. It hasn't been on the market since 2001. Now there's some new ones on the market or close to being on the market, but most potatoes if not all potatoes aren't GMO as far as I know.

For the most part people can almost entirely avoid GMOs by not buying processed foods and avoiding a certain few crops (mainly soybean, canola, and corn). If you're buying a boxed food with 50 ingredients, it's very difficult if not impossible to tell. And chances are very good it has some sort of GMO soybean or corn product in it. If you're buying whole unprocessed foods, it's fairly easy to avoid GMOs if one wishes to do so. Meat is a little trickier since GMO alfalfa, corn, and soybeans are frequently fed to animals, but that's more of an indirect thing.

So really, for the time being, unless you're buying processed foods it's fairly easy to avoid GMOs if one chooses to do so.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 07-31-2013 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHenry View Post
Iv been vegan about 13 years and was vegetarian for 10 years befor that.I gro my own vegetables for myself not for sale.Since I never get sick.Iv never had the flu and havnt had a cold in 5 maybe 6 years,not real sure.My blood pressure is always excellent according to the doctor.I dont know if its got to do with being vegan but my health has only been like this since I went vegan.
A lot of people say the same things after switching to a Mediterranean-style diet, Paleo diet, or just after cutting out processed foods.

I don't eat any particular diet, but I do eat meat, and my blood pressure was 115/76 as of a few days ago and high blood pressure runs in my family. I get sick about once every 4-5 years.

IMO, the most important thing, regardless of what type of diet someone eats, is to cut out the processed junk foods and to include a wide variety of whole plant foods (vegetables, fruits, nuts, herbs, greens, seeds, legumes, etc.).

And for the people who do eat meat, a lot of them eat too much and would be better off reducing the amount that they eat. It doesn't need to be the focal point of every meal, and they should stop overcooking it which creates carcinogens. A lot of them would be better off substituting some of the meat with fish.

Other important things are getting enough exercise (preferably cardio and strength training), getting adequate Vitamin D from the sun or from supplements, getting plenty of sleep, and drinking plenty of water.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Yes this was pointed out to me already in a previous post from UserID. I stand corrected. Regardless - there is no way of knowing if a fruit you are eating is GMO or simply a hybrid (grafting or cross-pollination or any other method). The end result is genetic modification - even if it doesn't fit the legal definition of a GMO.
I'm not sure what selective breeding has to do with anything. If we were to avoid any food that has been altered by human selection then we would all starve. The tomatoes, bananas, peppers (aside from certain bird types), apples, eggplant, etc. that we eat bear little resemblance to the wild forms, and with a lot of crops there is no known wild form even left.

Humans have been selectively breeding plants for tens of thousands of years. The concern with GMOs is more about adding genes from other species of plants or animals to the genome, some of which may cause the plant to produce insecticides, proteins, and other potentially harmful substances, rather than selecting for certain genes already in the genome. Along with concerns such as certain companies controlling the food supply through patents.

A grafted plant is not necessarily a hybrid either, nor is there anything wrong or suspect about hybrid plants. I can take a non-hybrid key lime branch and graft it onto a flying dragon rootstock and the fruit it grows will not be a hybrid, it's still Citrus aurantiifolia fruit.

A lot of the fruits we eat are hybrids. Just with citrus trees...lemons, grapefruit, sweet oranges, Persian/Bearrs lime, blood oranges, clementines, Meyer lemons, tangerines, ugli fruit, yuzu, tangelos...these are all hybrids.

Humans have been hybridizing plants for tens of thousands of years too. I'm growing a couple plants this year that resulted from a cross last year. They're half jalapeno and half brown habanero. These plants are hybrids but there's nothing potentially harmful about the fruit...as long as I don't touch my eyes after cutting it open. And if you go back far enough, practically every plant has been hybridized at some point.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,267,766 times
Well how about that - looks like I've been duped by the conspiracy theorists as well. I actually believed them when they raised a hue and cry about how the GMO foods are everywhere and there was no way to avoid it (which was why they insisted it was an infiltration of Monsanto on the farmers of America - which I didn't believe). I thought they were just overreacting. And it turns out - they had no basis for reacting at all.

Not that it matters to me, I wouldn't care if it was GMO or not, as long as it was tasty, safely edible, cost-efficient, and didn't come with bugs crawling out of it (which was one of the things GMO foods were created to prevent).

Awesome lesson learned, thanks!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,412,154 times
Quote:
Erm, yes they can. They would need to buy GMO seeds. That's one of the big "deals" about GMO technology that has California (the nanny state) in such a tizzy.
As I said - there exists no way of knowing if a product is the result of GMO technology or not.
Yes, they can purchase seeds from a biotech company, but that is just the point....small farmers can't secretly develop GMO crops because it requires a lot of advanced technology. So, has any company developed a GMO Haas Avocado? No, not that I'm aware of, so.....as I said there is no reason to believe that Haas avocados are GMO.

And of course there is a way to know whether a crop is GMO or not, simply compare the DNA to the original crop.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 PM

4,977 posts, read 4,502,092 times
Quote:
Well then, it's not immune. Either it's immune, or it isn't. Either it's organic, or it's not. I think you should be more concerned about whether or not what you're eating is healthy, in general - and not whether or not there might be a trace amount of a neighbor's chemical in the puttanesca sauce.

Also, if you have a neighbor who uses any chemicals on their lawn, then your garden is -not- immune from other "toxins." In addition, some of the bugs are toxic, so if you don't use pesticides, you risk ingesting toxins from bugs. Especially if there are flies in your part of the country.

Furthermore, there's something to be said for food that isn't grown using horse manure as a fertilizer. I personally find that idea pretty disgusting. Thankfully, I don't dwell on it, and am able to enjoy fruits and veggies no matter what was put in the farmer's soil.

For me, the only things that matter are: does it taste good and will it keep a few days without getting moldy? If the answer to both is yes, I'll buy it. Those are my primary criteria. Price is secondary, and which chemicals the farmer used last Thursday doesn't even show up on my list of priorities.
Come on now - there are some things that we don't have control over - like rainwater and insects that stop by to rest or pollinate. My garden is not in a bubble but it is organic enough that I don't concern myself with trying to wash/rinse off some toxin that was deliberately added. If I find an insect or insects, I brush them off and eat my broccoli leaf on the spot - delicious! The same goes for the cranberries, blueberries, raspberries, salmon berries, etc. that grow wild.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:47 PM

607 posts, read 1,164,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
Are you saying vegetarians can't be happy? Do you actually believe that, or are you just trying to get a reaction?
Obviously you missed the part where I said "I." Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
Well, let's see here......I can live longer, but be unhappy or live less longer, but be happy. I think I'll take the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food