Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:28 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Given the poor reaction to the commercial in the vegetarian community, the commercial was obviously a poor choice. Someone didn't do their homework. Whether they were targeting "mom's with vegetarian daughters" or whatever else demographic doesn't really matter....they can't isolate the viewing of this commercial to a single demographic.

But Red Robin is terrible food to began with....so hopefully this will push some vegetarians to eat at better restaurants.

Lastly, a bunch of non-vegetarians telling vegetarians what they should and shouldn't take offense to is, well, silly..... Vegetarians have to deal with all sorts of gibberish from meat-heads, so while this commercial in itself is just a small jab you have to look at it in the overall context of matters. Of course, what would non-vegetarians know about being vegetarian?
The commercial wasn't directed to the "vegetarian community", it was directed at the issue of "eating disorders of young women". The only poor reaction is to those that want to make it about more than what it is. It has nothing at all to do with vegetarianism. Non-vegetarians haven't said anything to vegetarians in this commercial.

The problem is the author, in the OP's link, made it about something that it isn't and then people reading the link and associating the authors comprehensive stupidity with the commercial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 01:29 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
The commercial wasn't directed to the "vegetarian community", it was directed at the issue of "eating disorders of young women". The only poor reaction is to those that want to make it about more than what it is. It has nothing at all to do with vegetarianism. Non-vegetarians haven't said anything to vegetarians in this commercial.
I'm not sure what the commercial has to do with "eating disorders of young women", are you suggesting that avoiding meat is a eating disorders?

Regardless, you're missing the point. Regardless of the group Red Robin was trying to target, their commercials are viewed by everyone. Therefore creating a commercial that offends a group, even if you're not trying to target them, is a stupid marketing move. What makes this case even stupider though, is that they are insulting a major consume of one of the products their trying to market.

Of course this has something to do with vegetarianism. But, as I said, one shouldn't expect non-vegetarians to understand how vegetarians feel about this....they aren't viewing matters in the same context. Its silly for non-vegetarians to tell vegetarians that they shouldn't care about this....

But I don't think its worth complaining about, vegetarians should vote with their dollars and stop going to Red Robin. Obviously the management of the company thinks poorly of vegetarians, so spend your money at a different restaurant. Red Robin is a rip-off anyways, glorified fast food, you can get a delicious vegetarian meal at most Asian, mid-eastern, Indian, etc restaurant for the same money. No shortage of options.

Last edited by user_id; 06-22-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what the commercial has to do with "eating disorders of young women", are you suggesting that avoiding meat is a eating disorders?
Did you not watch the commercial? Did you not here the words, "teenage daughter is going through a phase"? You guys are linking the word vegetarian burger with vegetarians.

Quote:
Regardless, you're missing the point. Regardless of the group Red Robin was trying to target, their commercials are viewed by everyone. Therefore creating a commercial that offends a group, even if you're not trying to target them, is a stupid marketing move. What makes this case even stupider though, is that they are insulting a major consume of one of the products their trying to market.
Missing the point? HARDLY, I'm not attempting to put in some point that isn't there.

Quote:
Of course this has something to do with vegetarianism. But, as I said, one shouldn't expect non-vegetarians to understand how vegetarians feel about this....they aren't viewing matters in the same context. Its silly for non-vegetarians to tell vegetarians that they shouldn't care about this....
This commercial had absolutely nothing to do with vegetarianism. It had to do with a veggie burger for young girls who think they have an eating disorder. Nothing more.

Quote:
But I don't think its worth complaining about, vegetarians should vote with their dollars and stop going to Red Robin. Obviously the management of the company thinks poorly of vegetarians, so spend your money at a different restaurant. Red Robin is a rip-off anyways, glorified fast food, you can get a delicious vegetarian meal at most Asian, mid-eastern, Indian, etc restaurant for the same money. No shortage of options.
Obviously the management wasn't thinking about vegetarians with this commercial. Everybody who is offended seems to be offended by the authors story of this, not by the commercial itself.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Did you not watch the commercial? Did you not here the words, "teenage daughter is going through a phase"?
Yes, those were the words...and what "phase" do you imagine they are referring to?

Quote:
This commercial had absolutely nothing to do with vegetarianism. It had to do with a veggie burger for young girls who think they have an eating disorder.
A veggie burger for young girls that think they have an eating disorder? Umm.....huh?

Quote:
Obviously the management wasn't thinking about vegetarians with this commercial.
Obviously.......which was really stupid. A major consumer of veggie burgers is vegetarians, to not think about vegetarians when its marketing its veggie burgers is absolutely stupid.

As for the commercial, I actually didn't bother watching it until recently.....and it was actually worse than I expected. But, I think vegetarians need to stop complaining and ignore the non-vegetarians telling them that they are making a "big deal out of nothing" and vote with their dollars: stop eating at red robin. There are far better options and most major burger places have a veggie burger option at this point. Beyond all this, why go to a place that is oozing with dead animals that is merely microwaving a frozen veggie patty? Hopefully some vegetarians will be motivated to explore better, more tasty, options.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
I think it was pretty funny. I don't find it offensive at all. It would only be offensive if their main customer base was vegetarian. If chipotle did that ad, the outcome would be completely different. After all, Chipotle has much better vegetarian options.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:16 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
I find that pretty damn offensive. If reverence for sentient life is a 'phase', I wish more people would 'go through' it.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I think it was pretty funny. I don't find it offensive at all. It would only be offensive if their main customer base was vegetarian.
The size of their vegetarian customer base has nothing to do with whether the ad is offensive or not.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I find that pretty damn offensive. If reverence for sentient life is a 'phase', I wish more people would 'go through' it.
There was no reference to sentient life in the commercial just as there was no reference to vegetarianism in it.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The size of their vegetarian customer base has nothing to do with whether the ad is offensive or not.
The ad was only offensive to those that want to be offended.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
Quote:
There was no reference to sentient life in the commercial just as there was no reference to vegetarianism in it.
yourself. The ad clearly belittled people who choose not to eat meat by comparing their motivations to a supposed immature 'teenaged daughter'. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous on your part. But the fact that you would argue that there is no reference to vegetarianism in the commercial (do you not know what a 'gardenburger' is?) speaks volumes.

I encourage Red Robin to pull the ad. It is dumb from every conceivable angle. Why demean a product that you put on your own menu to sell?

Last edited by stoutboy; 06-22-2013 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food