U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,212,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
ummmm... Nobody is suggesting that its a "vegetarian only burger", its the combination of the product and the comments made about the product that people find offensive.

There are more vegetarians in urban centers where most Red Robins are located. But this is for Red Robin to decide, just like vegetarians can decide not to eat there because their ads.
But that's the thing. Vegetarians already don't eat there. It's not a place where vegetarians would choose to go, unless they especially enjoy being surrounded by meat, and by people who are eating meat, immediately in front of them. There are so many options for vegetarians these days - choosing a place that specializes in meat burgers is pretty silly. So I'm just not buying that the reason vegetarians aren't going to Red Robin has ANYTHING to do with that ad. They weren't planning on going anyway. They're just using the ad as an excuse to criticize meat-eaters again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:33 PM

18,576 posts, read 23,094,067 times
Yet another attempt to make us look like crazy, picky, silly people who don't eat normal food.

I never heard of the "problem" with Red Robin, before now.

As far as chain restaurants go, I haven't been to RR all that much, but once I had a baked potato and a salad and the other 2 times a veggie burger, sensitively and sanely cooked on a separate grill. I asked and I would have tasted THE DEATH ...had they attempted to lie.

Last edited by Marka; 06-25-2013 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned quote

Old 06-23-2013, 05:29 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,991,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
But that's the thing. Vegetarians already don't eat there. It's not a place where vegetarians would choose to go, unless they especially enjoy being surrounded by meat, and by people who are eating meat, immediately in front of them. There are so many options for vegetarians these days - choosing a place that specializes in meat burgers is pretty silly. So I'm just not buying that the reason vegetarians aren't going to Red Robin has ANYTHING to do with that ad. They weren't planning on going anyway. They're just using the ad as an excuse to criticize meat-eaters again.

Wrong. The company put that item on the menu b/c it wanted to expand its customer base. It is not putting a veggie burger on the menu to appeal to meat eaters, I can assure you. It's a smart move on RR's part--friends go out to eat and often one of them is a vegetarian--so this way RR can appeal to more people. But then for RR to go and belittle one's motivations for choosing vegetarianism by comparing them to a 'teenaged daugher going through a phase' was just dumb.

And what's with the persecution complex? I can assure you that vegetarians are not scouring the cableverse looking for 'excuses to criticize meat eaters.'

Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,519,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
It's a smart move on RR's part--friends go out to eat and often one of them is a vegetarian--so this way RR can appeal to more people.
Did you read what I posted, and what others posted about RR's demographics? The suburban mom with a picky eater teen daughter is the marketing bullseye this ad aimed for, obviously. That's not a guess, that's from published industry data.

Yes, what you proposed is valid, but very much secondary to what THIS ad was saying, and WHO they were talking to.

If you can just stand in that core customer's shoes for a minute, and imagine being a suburban mom watching this ad and thinking to herself, "Great idea. I can stop there after soccer practice to get the kids fed with no fights because Bree can have a Gardenburger, and I can have a glass of wine, and I won't have to cook tonight. Bliss!"

Stand in THAT particular reality, and it's a humorous ad. Granted it was tone-deaf to how vegetarians might hear the message, but again, that was not where they were focussed. Not at all. So they made a lame joke that ruffled a few feathers. But I'd say that the resulting upset was at least as much based on misunderstanding what was said as anything, based on all that has been discussed here.

In any case I think it falls quite short of "dissing vegetarians."

Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,991,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Did you read what I posted, and what others posted about RR's demographics? The suburban mom with a picky eater teen daughter is the marketing bullseye this ad aimed for, obviously. That's not a guess, that's from published industry data.

Yes, what you proposed is valid, but very much secondary to what THIS ad was saying, and WHO they were talking to.

If you can just stand in that core customer's shoes for a minute, and imagine being a suburban mom watching this ad and thinking to herself, "Great idea. I can stop there after soccer practice to get the kids fed with no fights because Bree can have a Gardenburger, and I can have a glass of wine, and I won't have to cook tonight. Bliss!"

Stand in THAT particular reality, and it's a humorous ad. Granted it was tone-deaf to how vegetarians might hear the message, but again, that was not where they were focussed. Not at all. So they made a lame joke that ruffled a few feathers. But I'd say that the resulting upset was at least as much based on misunderstanding what was said as anything, based on all that has been discussed here.

In any case I think it falls quite short of "dissing vegetarians."
Sorry, I did not read what you posted.

The reason RR put the gardenburger on its menu was to expand its customer base, pure and simple. Food industry is a tough business. Every little segment helps the bottom line.

The reason RR commissioned this misguided ad may well have been merely for the gauche vicarious pleasure of poor overburdened soccer mom craving a glass of overpriced white wine while having to suffer a whiny teenaged daughter.

Strategically, a dumb move. I doubt the ad is likely to make a soccer mom more likely to patronize RR, no matter matter how badly she is craving the Chardonnay. Teenaged daughter will also not appreciate being made the butt of a joke. And then there is the target of RR's veggie burger in the first place: vegetarians that will see this ad as a cheap shot belittling a sincere decision they have made regarding their lifestyle.

At least where I went to business school, needlessly antagonizing your potential customer base was strongly frowned upon. But maybe that's just me: I want as many customers as I can get.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,450,637 times
I didn't like that ad when I saw it. My knee-jerk reaction rhymed with "yuck fu."

Old 06-23-2013, 10:24 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,519,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Sorry, I did not read what you posted.
Sorry you missed it, it was definitely the most interesting, factual, awesome, and entertaining material posted on this topic.

Quote:
The reason RR put the gardenburger on its menu was to expand its customer base, pure and simple. Food industry is a tough business. Every little segment helps the bottom line.
Sure, but it's been on the menu a long time. Did you know that before? Well, now you do.

And the funny thing... funny to me, anyway... is that from what I've read, they, like other restaurants, probably get a lot more orders for Gardenburgers from meat-eaters than they do from vegetarians. First, it's fairly common for meat eaters to order vegetarian meals in ordinary restaurants for a change of pace, something different. Second, it's not very common for vegetarians to even consider choosing a burger restaurant for a meal, given any other viable choice. Burger places are about MEAT, as AnonChick pointed out.

Quote:
The reason RR commissioned this misguided ad may well have been merely for the gauche vicarious pleasure of poor overburdened soccer mom craving a glass of overpriced white wine while having to suffer a whiny teenaged daughter.
That would be a really stupid business move to do that. And I don't think RR is stupid. They are tops in their market segment. But though I recounted the "typical customer story" in a humorous way, it actually tracks reality quite well, so I'll go with the more logical explanation: they wanted soccer moms to notice it.

Quote:
Strategically, a dumb move. I doubt the ad is likely to make a soccer mom more likely to patronize RR, no matter matter how badly she is craving the Chardonnay.
Actually, a 15 second ad like that is not meant to convert or convince anyone. It's meant to remind existing customers of one of their key selling propositions... in this case that a mom can bring in the family and everyone can find something they'll eat. They even have big screen TVs set to ESPN and good draft beers in case the dad tags along, but if you watch carefully, RR doesn't really aim a lot of their advertising at him. Mom is the core customer.

Quote:
Teenaged daughter will also not appreciate being made the butt of a joke.
Picky teenage daughter probably won't even see the ad. The days of the family sitting around in the living room together watching the same show are long gone. And it only ran for the scheduled 2 week rotation, or whatever it was. She was busy in her room having a meltdown on Facebook or listening to Justin Bieber.

Quote:
And then there is the target of RR's veggie burger in the first place: vegetarians that will see this ad as a cheap shot belittling a sincere decision they have made regarding their lifestyle.
They shouldn't. It wasn't about vegetarians. That's the fundamental misunderstanding I was talking about. It's about picky teenagers. I'm sure the suburban moms who saw it knew EXACTLY what they meant. And got the point.

Quote:
At least where I went to business school, needlessly antagonizing your potential customer base was strongly frowned upon. But maybe that's just me: I want as many customers as I can get.
But one proven way to kill a restaurant is to try to be all things to all people. RR knows who their core audience is, and this ad was designed to appeal to them.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Guess I'll have some dinner now. I think I'll make a big salad.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 AM

16,390 posts, read 13,044,077 times
The ad is fine and dandy.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 AM

32,309 posts, read 59,540,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Oh boy, what a bunch of misunderstandings in a dog pile here...
Seriously!

Quote:
I don't see this 15 second ad attempting to bring in vegetarians to RR. I do see it attempting to bring in the mommys who just want to get their kids fed without a hassle, because there's something on the menu for everyone in the family... i.e., 24 different burgers, including a vegetarian one. Or actually two, since they have long offered both Boca burgers and Garden burgers. Betcha didn't know that until now.
Here it is folks, in a nutshell.

The ad has nothing to do with eating disorders, obesity, or anything else that's been bandied about here. It's simply a nod at the fact that when families go out to eat, they just may have a hard time pleasing everyone -- especially capricious teenage girls. And wouldn't you know ... Red Robin just so happens to have the answer for that.

This is marketing: Identify (or invent) a problem, come forward with a solution.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 AM

35,028 posts, read 10,330,890 times
Some people are too sensitive today. I don't even eat meat, and I wasn't offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food