U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,023,768 times

Advertisements

It sounds good to me and I'm an omnivore. I make veggie meatballs with roasted squashes, eggplant, peppers and such, they always get eaten.

What do you use for your cobbler crumble? I've tried coconut oil with tropical fruits but I don't like the flavor combination with apples or berries as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:59 PM

4,977 posts, read 4,500,741 times
Sounds good to me . I would love to try your vegan meatballs.

I guess the main thing is that the dishes that you do bring are tasty and satisfying - that's what people want.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,322,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Sounds like a fine plan!

However, I would not make any sort of deal about your food being vegan/meat free or whatever. I like the sneaky approach - bring something delicious, let people eat it, and if anyone asks or compliments you, then tell them it's vegan.
We do this a lot and we don't think it's sneaky. There are many types of meat. Soy, wheat or nut are types.

No one has ever thought it's "off".

When we had kids parties and seved hot dogs and chick nugets no one complained. They asked what brand?

Someone there is making a Cool Whip July Fourth Pie that "everyone loves". Cool whip tastes "off" to us. But they all love it!

But we are always very nice and polite.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:19 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,253,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
We do this a lot and we don't think it's sneaky. There are many types of meat. Soy, wheat or nut are types.

No one has ever thought it's "off".

When we had kids parties and seved hot dogs and chick nugets no one complained. They asked what brand?

Someone there is making a Cool Whip July Fourth Pie that "everyone loves". Cool whip tastes "off" to us. But they all love it!

But we are always very nice and polite.
So, if one day, you brought a mock-meatball in sauce dish, and Junior (who thinks it's beef or some other flesh-based product) starts breaking out in hives, then you expect Junior's mom to tell you how clever you were to substitute beef for soy, which Junior is allergic to?

Wow.

If a vegetarian family invited me over, and asked me to bring a dish, I would have more respect for them to bring them something that isn't disguised as something else. Or at the very least, I'd ASK if it was okay to do that, before I whipped up a batch of stuffed portabella mushrooms and left out the fact that I sauteed the onions in pork fat.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:30 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,211,049 times
I think it sounds tasty and July 4th traditional. It sounds like these people are true omnis and eat anything. As long as it isn't foreign or too spicy, is my guess.

Do they still make Cool Whip? My mother used it. Disgusting stuff.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,539,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Do they still make Cool Whip? My mother used it. Disgusting stuff.
Why yes, they do still make make Cool Whip, something like $100 million worth a year.

I don't know why anyone would disparage such a wholesome, healthy and delectable All American pseudo-food which contains: water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skim milk, light cream, and less than 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a coloring)

And:
Quote:
According to a Wired Magazine article, consumers are paying 41 cents per ounce for mostly water and air, twice the cost of homemade whipped cream. Cool Whip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fun Fact of the Day: The same guy who invented Cool Whip also invented Tang and Pop Rocks.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:05 PM

7,184 posts, read 12,577,443 times
Sheena12, I think the dishes you plan to bring sound great ... and I am a big meat-eater. Enjoy the gathering!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,265,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Quite possibly we will be the only food conscious people there. We will be the only people who do not eat meat.

Asked to take a salad and a desert. They are providing the meat.Of course. So we take salads sides and deserts. Sides are our mains.

So...I don't want to be very different at this particular party. Just blend in.

Even the salads and sides could have meat. So, I've decided to take -

barbecued vegen meat balls

vegan coleslaw

and blue berry cobbler. vegan.

Taking more of the meat balls than for us because they will look good, and I've learned that omnivores eat meat any anything else.

What do you think? Will this fit in?
Whenever I have participated in this kind of activity in the past I always bring food that I think that everyone is going to enjoy. I realize that this is a different situation, but if I were in the OPs shoes I would do one of two things. I would either eat a little bit at home first so that I didn't have to rely on eating the meatballs or I would make LOTS of meatballs and make darn sure they were clearly labeled "meatless" or "vegan" or something like that.

The group that you describe is not going to appreciate putting those meatballs on their plate and finding out later that they weren't real meatballs. I am not saying that attitude is right or wrong - it just *is*. So, be nice and considerate and let people know AHEAD of time what they are. Clearly.

20yrsinBRanson

Old 06-26-2013, 11:21 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,730,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I popped in here, where I never usually go, because I was attracted by the thread title. Wow, the tension in here is horrific.

As far as what Sheena is taking - sounds good to me, althoughice I personally think that there's too much sugar involved - I would change the "barbecued" meatballs to something more savory.
I know, right? No need to get ourselves all twisted up over what sounds to be a nice 4th of July potluck event. Sheesh, we can get nutso over in the Great Debates or World Forums but can't we try and be civil in the food arena? It's so wonderful over here and usually everybody is just terrific and chill...and who can't find something good to say about FOOD, it's FOOD, for goodness sake.

I think the vegan meatballs will go over just DANDY...and if they don't, that much more for US!

I just love FOOD...growing it, shopping for it, prepping it, cooking it, baking it...and most certainly eating it too!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

P.S. And yes, I still can't sleep and I am still hungry!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 AM

2,748 posts, read 3,322,944 times
We ARE taking food that we think that others would enjoy. The reason for the meatballs was made clear in the first post - there may not be anything there for us to eat as a main dish.

They all KNOW we don't eat meat. NO ONE is going to think that they are made with beef or pork. NO ONE.

Taking enough to share with others and they are actually excited about trying it. Been a vegetarian for twenty years. Attended lots of these events and everyone usually wants to try what my wife cooks and loves it.

I have never met anyone who had an ethical problem with eating soy.

The host and hostess are only supplying MEAT, a GREEN SALAD and CORN. Also beverages, hard and soft.

I am not a vegan but my wife is almost a vegan. My son has been a strict vegan since age sixteen. This forum is supposed to be about the topic of vegetarian and vegan eating. There are some people who hate this idea, and yet repeatedly post here. I appreciate it when people like Karen in New Hampshire a few others give their opinions and they were nice and helpful. Same for Homeiswhere, and Rainoosity. You don't have to be vegetarian to be sensitive and appropriate.

If someone thinks eating vegan is a disorder, I don't know what they have to add to this thread.

Last edited by warren zee; 06-27-2013 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or