Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So, if one day, you brought a mock-meatball in sauce dish, and Junior (who thinks it's beef or some other flesh-based product) starts breaking out in hives, then you expect Junior's mom to tell you how clever you were to substitute beef for soy, which Junior is allergic to?
If "Junior" is allergic to soy, his mom has more to worry about than veggie meatballs at a potluck. Here is a partial list of food products that contain soy:

• Asian cuisine (Korean, Japanese, Thai, Chinese, etc.)
  • Baked goods and baking mixes
  • Bouillon cubes
  • Candy
  • Cereal
  • Chicken (raw or cooked) that is processed with chicken broth
  • Chicken broth
  • Chocolate
  • Deli meats
  • Energy bars, nutrition bars
  • Imitation dairy foods, such as soy milks, vegan cheese, or vegan ice cream
  • Infant formula
  • Margarine
  • Mayonnaise
  • Meat products with fillers, for example, burgers or sausages
  • Nutrition supplements (vitamins)
  • Peanut butter and peanut butter substitutes
  • Protein powders
  • Sauces, gravies, and soups
  • Smoothies
  • Vegetable broth
  • Vegetarian meat substitutes: veggie burgers, imitation chicken patties, imitation lunch meats, imitation bacon bits, etc.
  • Bulking agent
  • Hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP) or hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
  • Gum arabic
  • Guar gum
  • Lecithin
  • Mixed tocopherols
  • Natural flavoring
  • Stabilizer
  • Thickener
  • Vegetable gum, starch, shortening, or oil
  • Vitamin E
And these ingredients contain soy:

• Hydrolyzed soy protein (HSP)
  • Mono- and di-glycerides
  • MSG (monosodium glutamate)
  • Soy (albumin, cheese, fiber, grits, milk, nuts, sprouts, yogurt, ice cream, pasta)
  • Soy lecithin (see above)
  • Soy protein (concentrate, hydrolyzed, isolate)
  • Soybean oil (see above)
  • Teriyaki sauce
  • Textured vegetable protein (TVP)
Other names for soy:

• Bean curd
  • Bean sprouts
  • Edamame (fresh soybeans)
  • Kinako
  • Miso (fermented soybean paste)
  • Natto
  • Nimame
  • Okara
  • Shoyu
  • Soy sauce
  • Soya
  • Soybean (curds, granules)
  • Tamari
  • Tempeh
  • Tofu (dofu, kori-dofu)
  • Yuba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Absolutely! Send me a DM and fly into Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Will pick you up!

Not kidding!
You are sweet!

I grew up in Marietta & went to college at Wesleyan, so have a soft spot for your state since my roots are still there.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Sounds like a plan, Sheena. And you're right: Many omnivores will try anything that looks tasty that they also know they are not allergic to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
What I have long done*, since whatever I bring invariably raises questions... what can I say, I'm very creative... is to make little tent cards for my dishes that says what they are, and what the ingredients are. That helps people to decide whether or not to try them. And since so many people have food allergies and various foods they avoid for one reason or another, I think it would be smart if everyone started doing the same for potlucks.
That is a great idea! I can see how it might catch on, too. It's a classy touch, and I could see other guests and future hosts wanting to be seen as that considerate. In fact, Sheena, if you do this, I would let the host know. It could give her an opportunity to ask the other guests to do the same. You can always couch it in terms of allergy awareness or clarity so she doesn't think you're trying to push an agenda. Maybe just say, "I was thinking of making tent cards with the recipe so people don't get mixed up with the meatballs. Would that be okay?"

I wish my SO didn't have to work on the holiday this year. I am dying to make a huge batch of this stuff for just such an occasion:

Mexican Bean Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 06-29-2013, 09:50 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
Are you kidding me...why are you posting (and "preaching while being morally superior") here?

Ah..I hate replying negatively to a post. This just bothered me. There's just no need.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/veget...an-forums.html

That should take care of it.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:33 AM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
If "Junior" is allergic to soy, his mom has more to worry about than veggie meatballs at a potluck. Here is a partial list of food products that contain soy:

• Asian cuisine (Korean, Japanese, Thai, Chinese, etc.)
  • Baked goods and baking mixes
  • Bouillon cubes
  • Candy
  • Cereal
  • Chicken (raw or cooked) that is processed with chicken broth
  • Chicken broth
  • Chocolate
  • Deli meats
  • Energy bars, nutrition bars
  • Imitation dairy foods, such as soy milks, vegan cheese, or vegan ice cream
  • Infant formula
  • Margarine
  • Mayonnaise
  • Meat products with fillers, for example, burgers or sausages
  • Nutrition supplements (vitamins)
  • Peanut butter and peanut butter substitutes
  • Protein powders
  • Sauces, gravies, and soups
  • Smoothies
  • Vegetable broth
  • Vegetarian meat substitutes: veggie burgers, imitation chicken patties, imitation lunch meats, imitation bacon bits, etc.
  • Bulking agent
  • Hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP) or hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
  • Gum arabic
  • Guar gum
  • Lecithin
  • Mixed tocopherols
  • Natural flavoring
  • Stabilizer
  • Thickener
  • Vegetable gum, starch, shortening, or oil
  • Vitamin E
And these ingredients contain soy:

• Hydrolyzed soy protein (HSP)
  • Mono- and di-glycerides
  • MSG (monosodium glutamate)
  • Soy (albumin, cheese, fiber, grits, milk, nuts, sprouts, yogurt, ice cream, pasta)
  • Soy lecithin (see above)
  • Soy protein (concentrate, hydrolyzed, isolate)
  • Soybean oil (see above)
  • Teriyaki sauce
  • Textured vegetable protein (TVP)
Other names for soy:

• Bean curd
  • Bean sprouts
  • Edamame (fresh soybeans)
  • Kinako
  • Miso (fermented soybean paste)
  • Natto
  • Nimame
  • Okara
  • Shoyu
  • Soy sauce
  • Soya
  • Soybean (curds, granules)
  • Tamari
  • Tempeh
  • Tofu (dofu, kori-dofu)
  • Yuba

What an excellent and exhaustive post Missi! I can't rep you right now, but I certainly owe you one!

Old 06-29-2013, 10:52 AM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Yes I was asking for feedback from others, within the frame work of how we eat.

Like most people veg or non veg, a certain portion of our diet includes some prepared foods. I do not bake my own bread, make my own nut butters, and only occasionally do I make my own veggie patties and other foods.

We eat, enjoy and serve meat analogs. It is our desire to show others that preparing a vegetarian meal need not be arduous.

That is why I'm taking this sort of menu. And not, for example, hummus, tabouli salad and couscous.

I feel certain that while we eat middle eastern foods regularly, that this is not part of their diet. They would not be trying hummus that day.

But something that looks familiar - like a meat ball? They are interested!

Some one remarked that it might all be too sweet. I could make a vegan potato salad instead of the coleslaw.

What do you guys think?

Old 06-30-2013, 02:47 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
This sounds nice. I am not a vegetarian or vegan though try to add more dishes that are into my life. I know many who are also not but enjoy mock meats.
As for the processed issue of foods. Many people live off of fast food and junk food so to ask a person who is used to that to only eat whole foods in my opinion for most is not realistic. I think making small changes where you try to pick healthier processed foods such as have cheerios instead of frosted flakes or have a packaged veggie burger instead of fast food burger because it is moving in the right direction. So much about health is finding balance and sticking to the changes.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Bringing meat eaters a fake meat dish isn't a good way "fit in".
If they never tell people that there is no meat in it they will be devoured without question, so where's the problem? I, personally, want the recipes. Hint hint.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Some one remarked that it might all be too sweet. I could make a vegan potato salad instead of the coleslaw. What do you guys think?
I'd say that's overthinking it. In the context of a potluck, with a lot of other dishes gathered around, I can't imagine anyone picking your two dishes out of the flock and saying, "ooo, too sweet together!"

If you like the idea better because you'd prefer to bring potato salad instead of cole slaw, then go ahead. Either fits in perfectly well with a traditional 4th of July picnic.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Yes I was asking for feedback from others, [b]within the frame work of how we eat.
You didn't say anything about how you eat and people don't magically known how you eat. If you don't eat salads, legumes, etc....fine but don't expect people to know that.

Quote:
Like most people veg or non veg, a certain portion of our diet includes some prepared foods. I do not bake my own bread, make my own nut butters, and only occasionally do I make my own veggie patties and other foods.
Nothing I said had anything to do with homemaking everything, I really don't know why you two keep making this about whole foods. My point was simple, if you're trying to "fit in" with people bring fake meatballs is perhaps not the best way to do it. People mock mock meats all the time. There are numerous familiar vegetarian dishes that you could bring that don't contain mock products and these dishes will be recognized for what they actually are. Don't agree? Fine...but don't make this about something that it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
If they never tell people that there is no meat in it they will be devoured without question, so where's the problem? .
Firstly, its pretty easy to tell the difference between mock meats and real meats. But...not everyone appreciates being tricked and some people have aversions to the ingredients in mock meats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food