U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:11 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,566,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I've never understood the point of rinsing rice. I don't see how rinsing could possibly take that many nutrients out, but why rinse it in the first place?
Actually from the cleansing point, I can see it: who knows for how long it sat around in some barrel before you bought it?

But I'm certain I read it somewhere, about the losing of nutrients. Guess one can read anything, anywhere, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 12:16 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,269,339 times
I like my rice plain. I use a rice cooker. One of the best investments I ever made.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-26-2013, 06:16 PM

4,977 posts, read 4,501,419 times
Last night, I prepared long grain rice with several basil leaves added. I love bringing the extra fragrance of fresh or dried herbs to rice.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:25 AM

113 posts, read 176,113 times
really wonderful recipes and suggestions here. I have a friend from Korea who has two children at home and she has a big rice cooker. She says she makes a whole big batch of steamed rice daily. It stays in the rice cooker all day. As the day goes on, they have it included in all meals and even snacks. Sounds like a healthy way to live. I need to get a rice cooker. I wonder if it does orzo pasta. Isn't that very similar to rice? It looks like it in a recipe I found. Anyone?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,566,570 times
I don't know about the orzo pasta, but I suspect that it would work in a rice cooker with the non-stick lining.

I have an (ancient) Oster rice cooker which cooks up to 20 cups. Have had it for 10+ years and I use it a lot.
I'll be getting a new one soon, as the plastic on the lid hinge area is beginning to deteriorate. Here's the model
I'm talkin' about. I will probably get the same one. Oster® Multi-Use Rice Cooker And Food Steamer

I'm so happy with this cooker! Have never had a bad experience with it.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:45 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,888,285 times
When I lived outside San Francisco I took a Chinese cooking class from this older Chinese lady. She also had us wash the rice before cooking. I've done it both ways and one is just a little stickier than the other.

She used the knuckle method using your index finger in the bottom of a pot. One knuckle of water and add rice up to the second knuckle. Bring to a boil for a couple of minutes, cover and turn down the heat to low/simmer. After 10 to 15 minutes check it and when you see indents all over the top of the rice and it doesn't slide around it's done.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:53 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,642,638 times
The sage and thyme idea sounds good. I will have to try it. I usually just cook Jasmine rice 1 cup rice to 3 cups water and microwave for 20 minutes. Comes out perfect.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:21 AM

113 posts, read 176,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I don't know about the orzo pasta, but I suspect that it would work in a rice cooker with the non-stick lining.

I have an (ancient) Oster rice cooker which cooks up to 20 cups. Have had it for 10+ years and I use it a lot.
I'll be getting a new one soon, as the plastic on the lid hinge area is beginning to deteriorate. Here's the model
I'm talkin' about. I will probably get the same one. Oster® Multi-Use Rice Cooker And Food Steamer

I'm so happy with this cooker! Have never had a bad experience with it.
My friend has one that looks very much like it. But I'll need a small one for two to four servings at a time. I'll give the orzo a try when I buy one.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:05 PM

7,103 posts, read 9,307,651 times
maybe if the rice was the enriched white stuff, with the nutrients sprayed on in a factory, you would not want to lose nutrients by rinsing.

Does anyone know whether rice bugs rise to the surface when you rinse rice? Could that be the reason people do it?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 PM

4,977 posts, read 4,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
maybe if the rice was the enriched white stuff, with the nutrients sprayed on in a factory, you would not want to lose nutrients by rinsing.

Does anyone know whether rice bugs rise to the surface when you rinse rice? Could that be the reason people do it?
I always thought the rinsing process was for a couple of reasons:

1) To allow for examination of the rice to remove stones and extra protein sources (insects).
2) To reduce the amount of starch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food