Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 03:03 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times

Advertisements

No, this doesn't belong in the Diabetes section because I want it vegetarian. I have a favor to ask of those who have had a lot of experience with planning vegetarian.

Can someone put together one day's vegetarian menu for those who must limit their carbs as diabetics must do? I don't care what foods you list. I just want to see a very simple, easy to put together menu for one day. About 1500 calories and with only one stipulation. As little cooking as possible.

Please, I hope someone can do this because, no matter how I work with it, I always end up saturated with carbs. Can someone try?

Thank you. I have not yet had a chance to go through all the threads. I just discovered this section. I look forward to learning a few things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
No, this doesn't belong in the Diabetes section because I want it vegetarian. I have a favor to ask of those who have had a lot of experience with planning vegetarian.

Can someone put together one day's vegetarian menu for those who must limit their carbs as diabetics must do? I don't care what foods you list. I just want to see a very simple, easy to put together menu for one day. About 1500 calories and with only one stipulation. As little cooking as possible.

Please, I hope someone can do this because, no matter how I work with it, I always end up saturated with carbs. Can someone try?

Thank you. I have not yet had a chance to go through all the threads. I just discovered this section. I look forward to learning a few things.
For me eating healthy and light equate with fresh ingredients and prep time. Salads take time to prepare. Tofu dishes take time to prepare as do soups, casseroles, sauces etc. Buying, washing and storing fresh fruits and vegetables takes time and effort (like most worthwhile things). Putting together nutritous and tasty meals takes time. Having restrictions on your diet makes it more difficult to come up with appropriate meals. Eating prepared canned and frozen foods takes less time but costs more, often has ingredients that i dont want to eat and doesn't fill me up the way home cooked meals do. I wish I could be of more help but I don't know what to tell you.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
You don't need a vegetarian diet, you need to learn how to utilize the many guides available for those who are diabetic.
I can tell you where there is a very simple to follow guide for planning your meals but it is cooking and preparation.

If you don't want to do much cooking this book won't help much.
Basically stay away from anything that is dough or pasta in regards to the carbs. After that I can't help you because diabetics also need to consume a limited amount of carbs to maintain nutrition and health.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You don't need a vegetarian diet, you need to learn how to utilize the many guides available for those who are diabetic.
I can tell you where there is a very simple to follow guide for planning your meals but it is cooking and preparation.

If you don't want to do much cooking this book won't help much.
Basically stay away from anything that is dough or pasta in regards to the carbs. After that I can't help you because diabetics also need to consume a limited amount of carbs to maintain nutrition and health.

Diabetics (my husband is diabetic) need to eat carbs - the reason they need to limit certain starcy carbs has little to do with nutrition - it has to do with blood sugar. Diabetics are more prone towards obesity, high blood pressure, kidney disease, cardiovascular disease and are more apt to have amputated limbs than non-diabetics. Failing to keep blood sugar within normal range has everything to do with diet, exercise and medication (and having regular lab work and follow-up by a physician).

Foremost, when you have diabetes, your doctor should direct you to see a certified nutritionist (usually associated with a hospital) who will help you to develop a healthful menu that will be designed to help keep blood sugar levels steady as well as be nutritious. Strangers on an internet forum should not be developing a menu for a diabetic vegetarian who doesn't want to cook.

I really do think this thread belongs in the diabetes forum.

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-17-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 04:07 AM

Maybe I should have omitted the word "diabetic". It seems to have sent this astray. It isn't a question of "need" vegetarian. I am vegetarian and have been for years. I have just never concentrated on making sure it was nutritionally balanced. All I wanted was to see one day's menu that was nutritionally balanced and low in carbs. I've looked at diabetic menus because I know I eat too much bread, potatoes, all those carbs.

Sorry. Just let it go.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:43 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
vegetable-stuffed omlette or yogurt with fresh blueberries and walnuts

variety of fresh fruits for snacks

split pea or lentil soups with vegetables

large tossed salads with lots of varied vegetables/ sunflower seeds & sesame seeds/olive oil & vinegar dressing

tofu & vegetable stir-fries with almond slivers

Old 09-18-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
vegetable-stuffed omlette or yogurt with fresh blueberries and walnuts

variety of fresh fruits for snacks

split pea or lentil soups with vegetables

large tossed salads with lots of varied vegetables/ sunflower seeds & sesame seeds/olive oil & vinegar dressing

tofu & vegetable stir-fries with almond slivers
Thank you. The protein is the omlette, yogurt and/or tofu? That's the hard part - finding ways to replace the meat entree that non-vegetarians use.

I appreciate this.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:07 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
All of the nuts, seeds, & legumes are protein sources too.

All types of beans are another great source of protein & for instant meals, salt-free canned beans work in a pinch.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
All of the nuts, seeds, & legumes are protein sources too.

All types of beans are another great source of protein & for instant meals, salt-free canned beans work in a pinch.
And you can eat them as they come. Well, cooked but not necessary to do a lot of mixing and baking or frying. Just heat and eat. Love what Margaret Holmes does to butterbeans and cabbage. I get refried beans that are fat-free which surprised me but made me happy. And Bush's makes canned vegetarian beans. So, the beans do quite well. Just not three times a day as they do meat.

++What started me on this search is that I am eating too much cheese. Love cheese anyway but most has too much saturated fat and the cheese that doesn't have is pretty tasteless. At least what I have found is.

Thank you again.

Thank you.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:46 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I suggest a filling beany chili with its very low glycemic index and low carbs for breakfast; a beet, carrot and celery salad with a zing of lemon juice for flavor for lunch; steam-fried cabbage with celery, carrots and sesame seeds over as little or as much rice as you like, with a dash of soy sauce, for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food