Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:46 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,728,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I was vegan for over a year - now I eat 90% vegan - adding plain Greek yogurt, feta cheese and salmon to my diet a couple times a week....but very few animal products in total. I lost 80 lbs and have kept it off. I never hit a plateau or gained weight during the last 20 months - I just kept losing and eventually started having to eat more calories because I got down to 127 lbs. (I'm 5'9) and was continuing to lose even though I eat lots of food.

I don't eat sugar other than what is naturally in whole foods. I rarely eat bread, I rarely eat packaged foods (I did have some gluten free crackers at a party recently), I don't add oil, margarine or butter to my cooking but I do use lots of fresh and dried herbs and seasoning. Most of my diet consists of organic fruits and vegetables (mostly raw), nuts, seeds, legumes, tofu, beans, oatmeal, buckwheat, avocado (for fat and protein), brown rice once in a great while. I eat a baked sweet potato every couple of months. I eat good sized portions for breakfast and lunch and have a green smoothie and a hand full of pistachios for dinner. I exercise almost daily and I am very physically active. I'm 63 and I weigh myself once a week - I have usually slipped from my desired 129 to 125 or 126 - so I get to eat some extra fat that week.

I know there are some that think that you shouldn't eliminated any foods from your diet in order to lose weight - but I totally disagree. If certain foods have proved historically to be a cause of weight gain for you and they can be eliminated or severely curtailed from your diet without adverse health consequences - then you will probably be able to lose and keep it off.
seems to be a lot of time goes into your dietary habits, i think most vegans are the same way, i use to be...it was highly stressful.

you should read the very first book ever written on obesity, written by william banting from england in the 1800s called a letter on corpulence, he was dead on. sure you can lose all sorts of weight by simply eating less calories, but it isnt healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 01:37 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,042,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
seems to be a lot of time goes into your dietary habits, i think most vegans are the same way, i use to be...it was highly stressful.

you should read the very first book ever written on obesity, written by william banting from england in the 1800s called a letter on corpulence, he was dead on. sure you can lose all sorts of weight by simply eating less calories, but it isnt healthy.
I am very healthy based on how I feel, my resistance to illness, and my latest physical. Yes the acquisition and prep when using whole fresh foods can be time consuming but it is completely worth it. I don't need to read any books on obesity - such a ridiculous suggestion. I have found the formula that keeps me slim and healthy. I don't find healthy living stressful at all. Sounds like your excuse to eat poorly.

Last edited by Cattknap; 10-13-2013 at 01:57 AM..

Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 AM
MJ7

Quote:
I am very healthy based on how I feel, my resistance to illness, and my latest physical. Yes the acquisition and prep when using whole fresh foods can be time consuming but it is completely worth it. I don't need to read any books on obesity - such a ridiculous suggestion. I have found the formula that keeps me slim and healthy. I don't find healthy living stressful at all. Sounds like your excuse to eat poorly.
sounds a bit closed minded, but do what you please

did your physical involve a 7 vial blood analysis?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:03 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,042,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
sounds a bit closed minded, but do what you please

did your physical involve a 7 vial blood analysis?
What my physical involved is none of your business - go away little person, go away.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:12 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Wonders happen if you cut out processed carbs.
Wonders.

Most people become flabbergasted when they realized what constitutes a processed carb...

Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wonders happen if you cut out processed carbs.
Wonders.

Most people become flabbergasted when they realized what constitutes a processed carb...
indeed

Old 10-13-2013, 09:35 AM
MJ7

Quote:
What my physical involved is none of your business - go away little person, go away.
how rude, have a nice day

Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,537 times
I lost about 20 lbs in a month or so after I made the transition to a plant-based diet. The key though is to eat mostly raw foods high in fiber as most of the weight loss is gonna be in the form of increased bowel movements.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:50 AM

104 posts, read 263,939 times
I lost 120 pounds so far, but there are several caveats.
Fruits, you can't eat more that three or four...
Bread, even wholewheat bread is a source of calories and high glycemic values...
The main problem is to find low caloric foods that will fill your tummy.
I discovered something, avocados, though avocados are packed with healthy grease and calories, they do certainly cut hunger to zero, also pine nuts...
Vegetable milks, light vegetable milks are rather bland.
At the end, you end sticking to vegetables and beans...
But one must take into account that a lot of junk foods are technically Vegan..

Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucudrulu View Post
I lost 120 pounds so far, but there are several caveats.
Fruits, you can't eat more that three or four...
Bread, even wholewheat bread is a source of calories and high glycemic values...
The main problem is to find low caloric foods that will fill your tummy.
I discovered something, avocados, though avocados are packed with healthy grease and calories, they do certainly cut hunger to zero, also pine nuts...
Vegetable milks, light vegetable milks are rather bland.
At the end, you end sticking to vegetables and beans...
But one must take into account that a lot of junk foods are technically Vegan..
True -- the animal content in a meal doesn't automatically mean healthy or unhealthy, fatty or lean....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food